Final Reflection

For the final performance, Wesley and I chose to expand on our Witness study. The main differences between the Witness study and the final performance were more technological and preparatory improvements as opposed to a change in the physical performance.

Taking in some suggestions from the review of our witness study, Wesley and I revamped the projection of the dancing videos and Google Voice notices. We flashed the phrase “get ready to text” as an introductory hint or instruction for the audience. Also to make it easier for the audience to text other members of the audience we worked with Lauren to set up a processing sketch that would display a person’s phone number on the screen after he/she texted Wesley or me. The processing sketch was linked to a twitter account that was set up so an assistant could relay the phone numbers from the Google Voice notifications to the screen in a larger and clearer format. Aside from having an assistant entering in numbers from the audience, we also asked members of the class to text each other and other audience members to participate. For the final we also decided to reduce the size of the grid to 3 by 3, for a total of 9 boxes labeled 1-9 to make it easier for people to understand and text. The smaller size of the grid also added more opportunity for close encounters when two or more people were sent to on box. We also added the option of ejecting a player. A few times during the performance, the instruction ” text X to eject a player” flashed on the screen. The intention was for that player to go to an adjacent box labeled “X” that was isolated from the large grid but still within view of the audience and those on the dancing grid. The addition of the “X” box attempted to exaggerate the theme of inclusion by addressing exclusion. For this performance, we decided to eliminate the levels and heights that were unsuccessfully communicated in the witness study. Instead, each “player” danced in any manner they pleased in all of the boxes. Another major change was that Wesley and I waited until the audience texted us direction as opposed to texting each other first to show the audience what to do.

With a larger audience, the performance was still very successful. Aside from minor issues like the malfunction of the processing sketch and losing control of my phone, the performance progressed well. With the help of Lauren, Emily, and everyone in our class, the audience’s participation and interest was high. The audience participation and response was amazing! The build up and the idea of inclusion were amplified by the larger audience in comparison to the witness study in class. The audience’s desire to participate was high, but this is partially due to the fact that most people in the audience not only knew each other, but also knew Wesley and me. This relationship made people more comfortable to text each other and also made it easier to text each other because the audience already had the phone numbers of other members in the audience. Toward the end of the performance, Wesley and I instructed the members of our class to text everyone to go to box 5. We wanted to create a point of desire and experiment with how people reacted to being forced into one area and play on the draw and attraction of box 5 as more and more people traveled there. Although many people participated and understood the context of the performance, there were a couple of people who admitted, post-performance, that they did not understand what was going on. They were confused about the relationship between what was projected and the movements of the “players.”

One thing that could have drastically affected the interactions of the grid was the participation of faculty. I was hoping that for this performance, more professors and adults would be present. I was interested in the dynamic of student and teacher, and if the adults would feel comfortable breaking that barrier. I wanted to see how students and teachers would react when sent to one grid and forced to dance in such close proximity. However, even without this added level of interaction, I was very satisfied with the outcome of the final performance and pleased with the positive feedback.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.