Extra Credit/Week 9:Sound N Science Symposium/Lam Tran

March 5th, 2009

I went to see the “Cymatics:Bringing Matter To Life With Sound” by Dr. Hans Jenny right after Thursdays lecture

I even saw Prof. Vesna there.

It was a video of different plastics, waxes, fluids and particles placed on a vibrating membrane and seeing how the move in response to the vibrations. There’s not much to say about it besides this.

Most of them shared some similarities. In the cases of everything except the loose particles (the sand or whatever they used) generally formed circular shapes, pulsated, and circulated. The material would be pushed out from the center of the top region and then come back inwards once it comes to the bottom. The less viscous fluids circulated in the opposite pattern where it would come out from the sides and move inward at the center.

The loose patterns formed patterns when vibrating. It usually created rings which would change as the vibrations change. There was also one with a drop of fluid with another drop of ink in it. When those vibrated it would make different flowing patterns. They all had a circulating pattern to their flow but where it circulated and how many points where it circulated around changed. Wasn’t very interesting in my opinion. The voice of the narrator had this monotone. Throw that in with watching a ink blob move around in a water droplet for a minute and you have yourself a fairly uninteresting show for those who do not really understand or care for the mechanics behind vibrations.

Lam Tran

Final Abstract- Memory Lane- Gindy Nagabayashi

March 5th, 2009

There are two types of memory: semantic and episodic. Episodic memories are memories from personal experiences and related feelings. By flashing a series of pictures and words visitors will walk down a black tunnel. As they proceed through the exhibit, words and pictures will flash onto the walls from projectors to induce memory recall, measurements of neurotransmitters released from audience will be collected. The data collected will be displayed in the form of a blueprint of the brain and the different regions triggered by the images representing human consciousness interacting with memory. When multiple people are interacting with system, similarities and differences measured will also be indicated. The purpose of this project is to explore emotions induced by episodic memory recall, specifically enhancing the human consciousness for the audience.

Gindy Nagabayashi

Extra Credit: David Szanto “Slow Food’s University of Gastronomic Science”/Jasmine Huynh

March 3rd, 2009

Last Friday evening, David Szanto gave a lecture at the California NanoSystems Institute about the University of Gastronomic Science. This university was founded by a non-profit organization called Slow Food which was established in 1989. Slow Food is on a mission to counteract fast food in a fast-paced lifestyle. According to them, food should be “good, clean and fair.” This motto means that food should taste good, be free of pesticides and available at a fair price for both the consumer and the supplier. Slow Food LA is one of the largest chapters in this organization.

David Szanto, the presenter, is currently the North American representative for the University of Gastronomic Science. He is currently situated in Montreal, Canada, so this was a special presentation that he had to fly out for. He started the presentation by explaining exactly what “gastronomy” is. The word has multiple meanings, depending on who you ask.  The literal meaning of the word is “the rules of the stomach.” But, when taken to different countries, it means different things. For example, to Americans it means the art of writing about culture and food. To the French, it describes the link between culture and food.

The bulk of his presentation was spent discussing the benefits of attending the University, and how it was started. The University itself is located in Italy. It was founded in 2003 by Slow Food and several other Italian regional food companies. Szanto went through the various programs that are offered at the University, and always made it clear that they were using local products and events. He also wanted to emphasize the significance of the program, and made sure to highlight the major events that the University participates in.

Overall, I felt that this presentation was more of a sales pitch for the University rather than an informative lecture about how the Slow Food movement could be helpful. I could only find minimal relationship between the lecture and this class. The one aspect that was similar was the fact that “gastronomy” means several different things to different people. Similarly, art doesn’t have one exact definition. The presentation would have been much more enjoyable had it focused more on describing the aspects and benefits of Slow Food, rather than trying to force enrollement into the University.

Extra Credit: Beatriz de Costa’s “Invisible Earthlings”/Jasmine Huynh

March 3rd, 2009

Last Friday, I attended Beatriz de Costa’s “Invisible Earthlings” exhibit in the California Nanosystems Institute. I was a bit surprised about the setup of the exhibit. I thought that the artist would give a lecture about the work that she has done. Instead, I found a very intimate exhibit. The artist, Beatriz de Costa, had set up stations around the room. At each station, there was a set of three Petri dishes which had bacteria grown inside them. Above the dishes were interactive devices (which looked like GPS devices normally used for cars) which provided information about the bacteria.

Beatriz de Costa based this artwork on her bacterial findings in places such as park benches and garage doors. Then, she took the bacteria that she gathered from those areas and cultured them on Petri dishes. The interactive devices above the exhibit went into more detail about the type of bacteria that was present in a particular place. For example, the bacteria found above the park bench included Bacillus (rod-shaped bacteria), Staphylococcus (grape-like clusters), Chrysosporum (have hyphae). The bacteria from the porch was sedosporium. In addition to having information about these bacteria, she also put beautiful artwork-like displays in the background (of the informational slides). She took pictures of the cultures and stained them different colors, so that the bacteria looked like repeating geometric shapes rather than organisms. It was amazing how she was able to turn disgusting bacteria (their common connotation) into beautiful mirages.

I enjoyed this exhibit because I felt that it was a fresh take on exhibits and presentations. Normally, I attend events like these with the mindset that the artist is just going to speak for an hour about their findings, and how they went about doing it. Instead, Beatriz de Costa provided a new spin on things: She made the exhibit interactive and much more fun. I liked how she beautifully linked science and art, which is one of the core concepts of the class. She took the scientific side (collecting bacteria, researching about the types of bacteria, etc.) and morphed it into art (the background of bacterial pictures, in many different colors.) This exhibit mainly relates to the first lecture of the course, where Professor Vesna discussed the “third culture.” Beatriz de Costa’s exhibit proved that a separate culture isn’t required to link science and art. She showed that they can exist wonderfully as one culture.

alice nakata/week 7/memory

March 3rd, 2009

I am just known to all my friends as having a bad memory, especially when it comes to people’s names and faces. I have always needed repetition in order to remember things. I didn’t think there was any way you can “train” your memory, but apparently there is.

Tadamasa Fujimoto is a 41-year-old Japanese male who, due to an unfortunate accident in his adolescence, suffers from a memory disorder. He cannot hold a memory; his memory is severely short term. But by training his memory in his own way, he is now able to hold his memory longer and is able to memorize things at an incredible speed.

In his training, he shuffles a deck of cards, flashes each card and memorizes the order. He can memorize the random order of all 52 cards in 48 seconds. Another is to memorize numbers with multiple digits. He looks at a paper with many numbers and can recite them, again memorizing at an incredible speed. 15 digits in 1 second, 20 digits in 2.5 seconds, 30 digits in 9.5 seconds, and 100 digits in 1 minute 30 seconds. He can also memorize illustrations, names, faces, and phrases. His personal record for memorizing 500 illustrations is 20 minutes.

The way he trains his memory is plain and simple. He just does what is described in the above paragraph every day. It soon became a hobby to memorize everything he sees and thus improved his medical condition. This “memory training” is now used with the elderly and people who suffer from memory disorders, as well as students who uses this method to study.

week 8/space/alice nakata

March 3rd, 2009

Space, to me, seems a little frightening to me because it seems so easy to just die out there. The black hole is intimidating also, with its suction and the road to nowhere. But the interesting facts and phenomena that only happens in space made it a little less frightening place.

One fact that is interesting to me is that the Sun is losing up to a billion kg per second due to solar winds. Also, 1 pinhead of the Sun’s energy can kill a person at a distance of 160 kilometers. And speaking of kilometers, our galaxy (the Milky Way) is spinning at 225km per second. On top of the spinning, the Milky Way is traveling through space at about 330 km per second. When we drive the freeway at speed limit of 65 mph, we are going at about 100km/min. So if we are traveling 330 km per second, that’s over 180 times faster than the freeways speed limit!

The phenomena of liquid turning into spheres is amazing also. Because there is no gravity in space, surface tension shapes water into spheres. Magnetic-like molecules on water’s surface cause the surface to act like an elastic skin. Each molecule is pulled with equal tension by its neighbors. The tight-knit group forms the smallest possible area, which is a sphere.

Another interesting phenomenon is the cold welding. In space, when you put 2 pieces of metal together, they become stuck, or welded, forever.

http://listverse.com/science/top-10-cool-facts-about-space/
http://www.livescience.com/mysteries/080104-llm-space-spheres.html

alice nakata/final proposal

March 3rd, 2009

Have you ever wondered about the mechanism behind a chameleon’s ability to camouflage? For my final project, I would like to propose a body suit that is constructed by the exact mechanism of the skin of a chameleon. With this suit, people would be able to camouflage to the environment they are in. Imagine sitting on a bench and looking like wood. This suit would be used just for fun; it shouldn’t be worn daily. It would be considered a high tech toy. But other than using it for fun, it can be used in police force and the military. This would be a revolutionary invention. Both artistic and high tech.

week 6/cloning/alice nakata

March 3rd, 2009

I have recently finished reading a book titled Angel Maker (by Stefan Brijs) which is based on religion vs cloning. I don’t plan to talk about the aspect of religion in this blog, for it might take for ever for me to finish writing about that topic. I would like to state some cloning facts and my viewpoint on the scientific method, especially of human cloning.

The Human Genome Project states there are 3 different types of cloning: copying genes and other pieces of chromosomes to generate enough identical material, splitting a developing embryo soon after fertilization of the egg by a sperm to give rise to two or more embryos, and as in the production of Dolly, using somatic cell nuclear transfer in which scientists transferred genetic material from the nucleus of an adult animal’s udder cell to an egg whose nucleus, and thus its genetic material, had been removed (http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcloning.htm). These procedures are not impossible to perform… But many ethical issues are stopping scientists from carrying out the procedure.

In Angel Maker, there is a doctor who succeeds to clone himself. Cloning humans, in reality, in a very controversial topic. In August of 1997, President Clinton proposed legislation to ban the cloning of humans for at least 5 years. The following month, thousands of biologists and physicians signed a voluntary five-year moratorium on human cloning in the United States, because of the issues (http://atheism.about.com/library/chronologies/blchron_sci_cloning.htm).

And here are just some of the issues concerning human cloning:

Does an embryo, at whatever stage of its existence, have the same rights as human beings? If a clone is created from an existing person, who is the parent? Will cloned children face any social repercussions? Is it ethically right to harvest organs from clones?

And here are my viewpoints on them:

As a cloned embryo, I think s/he would be able to have all human rights. After all, it has the same genetic material as another human being, thus making the clone no less than human. I understand that these embryos are not conceived naturally, but I see the fact that they are made up human genes and material to be a heavier factor than abnormal conceiving procedures.

If a clone is from an existing person, the clone-donor should be the parent. In most cases, I believe the clone-donor is the one requesting to be cloned. Therefore, s/he would have to have full responsibility of the newborn clone. Taking care of a baby who is actually you… Awkward.

Will cloned children face any social repercussions? I can’t help but to think of all the bullying that would go on in the child’s life. Many might be teased by the fact that they are not original, their parents made them, and that their parents are what they’re going to turn out like. They might even get comments as “you’re not human.”

Harvesting organs from clones, however, is not too bad of an idea to me. But I would like to change this up a bit. I think if we are able to clone just the organs, it would be much more accepting than to clone a human and to take the clone’s organs away. Then many lives can be saved with no donor wait lists and with no bad reactions (if you are able to clone the organs from your own body).

Overall, I think cloning humans is a bad idea. There is too many problems that would come along with it. Cloning itself is not a bad idea though. As I said before, if we are able to clone organs, it would be used for the better. And if we can clone endangered species of plants and animals, that would be great too. But not humans. There would never be an ethically correct answer to be able to clone humans.

Final Abstract

March 3rd, 2009

Death is an inevitable experience that will strike every human being.  There are a multitude of ways humans can die, some of them being extremely morbid such as dying due to a painful, incurable illness such as heart disease or cancer.  These ways of dying cause extreme pain and suffering, which human beings should not have to go through.  If a machine was invented that humans could choose to be placed in, and be put through a quick, painless death, it would be the end of human beings experiencing painful, morbid death. 

Week 8 / Space / Erum Farooque

March 2nd, 2009

space-18Space is an extremely vague and broad topic. It can mean distance from one point to another, the area that surrounds, or even the vast enormity beyond Earth, outer-space. Art in space can be seen through the beautiful planets, stars and how everything is oriented. Space (on Earth) is very valuable and everyone tries to conserve and utilize their space to its max potential, and maximize their space itself as well.

Gil Kuno was an amazing presentor on Thursday. I found his projects especially interesting. All the different art projects he has worked on are all so different, unique, fascinating and exciting each in their own way. I really liked his ideas because he used music and video, two things that always grab my attention (such as the entertainment industry). He did different projects that used space to produce video or sound in a new remarkable way. One such project is the Pogophonic in which pogosticks are used as instruments. The idea is very unique to me and i have never heard of someone using a pogo stick to make music. The video is funny as you watch two guys jump on pgo sticks and they are actually making music and puttin on a show, which is ironically funny idea. http://www.unsound.com/SoundArt/Pogophonic/index.html space-22This idea utilizes the space we already have to create new forms of art and new expressions through music. Composition 20/40 is basically the same idea but with a ping pong table instead. Making the ping pong table and the pogo stick the input/output for the audio lets people create brilliant compositions with other random devices, apart from musical instruments. The vortex project projects different projections onto a dome and many of them imitaing space to create a virtual representation of space that is beautifully artistic. Another project that really stood out to me as well was the video art called Haze. It used the sculpture right outside UCLA’s broad art center. Filling it with haze caused various shapes and patterns to form. The movement of the haze was so soft and beautiful, it was very inticing to watch. The mysterious movements were very much like outer-space. The haze is mystifying and you never know what it will do next or where it will go now, just like we do not know what space is like, not entirely anyways. Space is so big, we have no idea yet how big, what else is there and if there more life out there. The haze moves in accordance to the heat inside the bowl-like sculpture.space-25

Lastly, I would like to discuss Gil Kuno’s Unsound Classic. It takes a picture and creates music to that picture. It is quite amazing and it geniously combines two different types of space together into one beautiful stimulating project. Syncing and converting audio to video is a unseen idea by me so i am greatly intrigued bby this. So, I found a youtube video of a project in which some did the opposite of what Kuno did in Unsound Classic. Instead of converting a picture to sound, this person converts music into pictures. You cna see the efficient use of space as the pictures move in accordance with the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZirlHWNsoYMspace-10

Throughout this post, I have included some pictures of Space Art. The unseen and seen uspace-06niverse is artistically beautiful.

~Erum Farooque

Extra Credit/ Do We really know what beauty is?/ Kelly Tseng

March 2nd, 2009

Linda Weintraub’s “Drop Dead Gorgeous: Beauty and the Aesthetics of Activism” seminar was very compelling for I felt that she addressed many topics that society often overlooks and fails to recognize. As an artist, curator, writer, and educator, she is currently in the process of writing about her research findings regarding art and ecology. Weintraub’s discussion about how society values beauty is quite interesting because I feel that this issue has raised very substantial problems that are often faced in society. She said that we tend to care for things that are beautiful and neglect things that are not beautiful. This idea is very similar to topics that I have studied before in an Introduction to Psychology class.

Society tends to treat attractive people better and it can be seen throughout the course of evolution that individuals within a species prefer attractive mates. For example, many female bird species look for beautifully colored males that sing vigorously. However one may think it be foolish for the males to devote so much time and energy into producing such beautifully colored feathers that would only inhibit its flight, which would then make it more susceptible to predators. The point here is that because these males have enough energy to make bright, colorful feathers would require the male to be quite healthy. As a result, these females want a healthy male that could protect them as well as be able to reproduce more successfully. However, a strong link between good appearance and healthful genes have not yet been found and thus this leads me to question why then does society view beautiful as they way they do and more importantly how they came up with the notion of beauty.

If you think about it, humans constantly intervene with natural plant life to selectively breed a certain wild-type, so that is it bigger, better, and prettier. But if natural plant life arose by itself without any human intervention just as how all life arose on this planet without any mechanical intervention besides that of divine intervention, then how could organisms, individuals, or rather society come up with this “other” idea of beauty?

Weintraub presented the works of George Gessert and explained how he controls plant fertilization and isolated mutations in the process. These ways all the more show that society is so concerned with making everything beautiful when plants and life forms in general should be able to blossom naturally, without being influenced by the “norm” of what is considered pretty. The reason why hundreds of thousands of individuals invest in corrective or plastic surgery is so that they can look “beautiful” and fit in and be accepted by society. This popular, fashionable, and accepted look is what society now defines as attractive. I believe that beauty should not be defined in this way nor do I believe that people truly understand or ever did understand what beauty meant in the first place because beauty is supposed to be natural as is all creations by God. However, since basically everything is genetically engineered or altered, fixed or corrected, society has truly lost the true idea of what beauty originally was. This website talks about Nietzsche’s views and how human beings recognize beauty.

http://www.nietzschecircle.com/review26.html

Week 8/ Arthur Woods/ Tammy Le

March 2nd, 2009

This week’s topic conveyed the enormity of opportunity and perception that can be found in space and all its elements.  The possibilities of the correlation between art, space, and life is just as endless and vast as space itself.  This week’s guest speaker, Gil Kuno, briefly mentioned one exhibit in particular that caught my interest, Arthur Wood’s the Cosmic Dancer.  Woods who, studied psychology, arts, and literature at Mercer University in Macorn, Georgia,  is a space  artist whose interest in using space as his muse is rooted in his experience  working at the Kennedy Space Center during the Apollo Program in 1968 and 1969.  He demonstrates his ability to combine elements of art and space to create masterpieces through his creation of the Cosmic Dancer in 1993.  The Cosmic dancer is based off of geometric sculptures he has been creating since 1981 whos form and angular shape enables them to be positioned in different ways, thus enabling observers to view the piece from different perspectives in relation to their surroundings.  As a result, the same sculpture can appear to be an array of different three-dimensional forms as a result of its positioning.  The cosmic dancer was is a painted, one kilogram geometric form made out of welded aluminum tubing measuring approximately 35 x 35 x 40 centimeters.  It accompanied cosmonauts of the Russion Mir Space Station in Earth’s orbit, putting it in  Low Earth Orbit and allowing the sculpture to take life as it “danced” in a weightless environment.  The purpose of the sculpture is ”to investigate the properties of sculpture in zero gravity and to examine the integration of art into a space habitat environment” (Woods,http://www.arsastronautica.com/cosmic_dancer_sculpture_on_the_mir.php).  The lack of gravity and restriction on the piece allowed it to take on free, unprectable movement.  The sculpture had a personality of its own, with no guidance its motion from human hands, but solely on the weightlessness in Low Earth Orbit.  The sculpture was no longer a stationary piece of work, but was almost like a performing art piece.  When paired with music, the Cosmic Dancer’s movement is poetic and conveys a sense of gentleness and freedom.  Although it is a masterpiece on its own, when humans do have a role in manipulating its movement, the sculpture takes on a new persona.  It can convey a story or an emotion as it’s geometic, angular shape creates a unique movement through the weightlessness of space.  Since the original, 99 more different versions of the Cosmic Dancers have been created in order to fund the project.

A Cosmic Dancer with a cosmonaut

A Cosmic Dancer with a cosmonaut. The video for The Cosmic Dancer can be found on this site: http://www.arsastronautica.com/cosmic_dancer_sculpture_on_the_mir.phpAnother

Another interesting piece that has been proposed but not yet realized by Woods is the OUR-Space Peace Sculpture, a sculpture to be launched into space whose shape represents peace and cooperation.  It is an inflateable, circular shaped sculpture divided in the middle by a cross that holds a metal sphere in the center.  The form of the sculpture is an ancient and universal symbol found in cultures throughout the world.  It is the Greek symbol for world and the medicine in American Indian Cultures.  The sphere was designed to resemble the planet earth while the inflatable circle around it would read the word “peace” in different languages.  Woods plans to have it ceromoniously pushed into space from a space station by a cosmonaut while people on earth watch on tv, uniting them in a moment in which a cry for peace through art is being projected into space and circles the world in which it is speaking to.  Woods proposed the project at a time when therelationship between Soviet Union and United States was still tense.  He hoped that the space programs would work together to support his one art piece and cause, seeing the sculpture as  “a symbolic artistic statement of world peace and cooperation”(Woods, http://www.arsastronautica.com/OUR-SPS_Space%20Peace%20Sculpture.php).

Artists like Arthur Woods have explored and realized the creative possibilities space gives to artists.  Art can be used to convey messages to the small world which inhabits the vastness of outerspace.

Final_Abstract/ Week 8/Tammy Le

March 2nd, 2009

With the use of facial recognition technology and a room equipped to emerse an observer in a world of virtual reality, a subjects emotions will be projected into the ambience, allowing the subject, and other observers, to view his/her inner emotions outside of the body.  The room, we’ll call it “the shell,” will start off as a blank, empty room that begins to come alive with colors, images, and music that correlates to their feelings conveyed through expressions on a person’s face changes as recognized by the facial recognition software.  The exhibit will create a better connection between a person and his/her emotions as they are able to phsyically see, hear, and experience a virtual world that expresses their emotional and psychological psyche.

paige marton/week 8/space and non place

March 2nd, 2009

Space occupies a number of different meanings. However, it never seems to be tangible, it is always an abstract idea. Although the human race has continued to explore outer space and the universe we still know so little, it is impossible to grasp what it really is. And space exploration only covers one result of what we call “space”. It is such an abstract word/place/thing; there’s a number of different interpretations.

I have personal experience with what it takes to make space exploration possible. My uncle, David Paige is a professor at UCLA and also works with NASA to develop shuttles to explore space. He has previously worked on the “Mars Lander” and is currently developing a ship that will map the moons surface. The exploration of space has a whole different meaning for me because I’ve been lucky enough to see my uncle at work. Blood and sweat goes into the production of these ships and it is common for them to malfunction and self-destruct (which my uncle has experienced many times with the Mars Lander). Because of him I understand how important space exploration is and how little we actually know.

What my uncle does, space exploration, is the most common thing associated with the word “space”, however, there are so many different realms of space. Which lead me to research the theories of Marc Auge. Non-Places refer to excess time and space, which is created by the constant evolution of technology. Auge describes a place as “relational, historical and concerned with identity, then a space which can not be defined as relational, or historical, or concerned with identity will be a non-place”. He gives examples such as a motor way or supermarket. I came upon a website that provides more information about place, space, and non-place that relate back to Marc Auge’s theories: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~janzb/place/nonplaces.htm Sections of Auge’s Plaes and Non-Places are available at http://books.google.com/books?id=LMr8_pXJgdwC&dq=Marc+Augé+-+Place/Non-place&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=31isScb3CZGUsAOh0bDIBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA7,M1

-paige marton

Final_Abstract/Nightlight Project/Connor Petty

March 2nd, 2009

People have always looked up at the night sky and named stars and constellations. Ancient civilizations relied on the stars to give them insight and to predict the future. They relied in how static the sky was and tried to explain strange traveling stars as omens or gods. Using their creativity to explain and observe, it have never been possible change the night sky. The purpose of the Nightlight project would be to change all that. People would be able to use their creativity to paint stars and constellations of their own. The sky will become the artist’s canvas and such art would be able to be viewed by anyone, anywhere.

Week8/Horseshoe orbits/Connor Petty

March 2nd, 2009

Something interesting I found discovered when researching orbits was AA29. AA29 is an asteroid that follows earth’s orbit around the sun. What makes this asteroid interesting is that it is in a horseshoe orbit that makes it approach earth every 95 years. What’s more,  is that every 600 years the asteroid will appear to orbit around the earth! This is really just in appearance since AA29 will only be a quasi-satellite since it is really only orbiting the sun.

Here are some videos demonstrating this behavior:horseshoe, Earth’s orbit, quasi-satellite

A horseshoe orbit is a unique type of orbit that occurs when two planetary bodies share nearly the same orbit. A horseshoe orbit occurs when a small planetary comes close to a much larger planetary body during its orbit. As the asteroid approaches earth earth would exert it’s gravitational force on the asteroid. One might think that this would lead to the asteroid colliding with earth, but what actually occurs is the opposite. This is due to the laws physics when regarding orbiting bodies. Whenever an orbiting object moves faster, it will move outward and achieve a larger orbit. And conversly, whenever an orbiting object slows down it will shift to a smaller orbit. It is this behavior that prevents the asteroid from colliding with earth. As the asteroid approaches earth it would be accelerated by earth’s gravity and then thrown into a higher orbit and thus it would drift away from the earth. And when the earth then catches up with the asteroid in another 95 years, the asteroid would be decelerated and would be put into a smaller orbit causing it drift away yet again. A horseshoe orbit is just a neverending cycle of tag between planetary bodies.

How AA29 will appear to orbit the earth can be explained by the asteroid’s low eccentricity and it’s inclination of 10 degrees. The asteroid’s eccentricity (how circular it’s orbit is) causes it to move in and out relative to the earth and it’s inclination causes it to move up and down relative to the earth. With these two properties combined, the asteroid’s orbit never touches earth’s orbit and instead loops around it. There is one more thing that makes AA29 truly unique, and that is the fact that this is the only known asteroid that can go from a horseshoe orbit to a quasi-satellite orbit and back again. The last period of such behavior was around 550 AD, and the next will be around 2600 AD. During it’s quasi-satellite mode the asteroid become temporarily trapped by the earth’s gravitation influence, causing it’s orbit to remain in sync with earth’s for a short period of time.

Interesting enough, AA29 is not the only asteroid that has a horseshoe orbit with the earth. Another asteroid, Cruithne, was discovered several years earlier and that has an even stranger orbit than AA29! Cruithne has a much higher inclination than AA29 and a much greater eccentricity. This causes Cruithne’s path around the sun appear kidney shaped. It takes Cruithne about 385 years for the kidney bean to drift all the way around and meet the earth again. Cruthne is not the last of the asteroids that have a horseshoe orbit with the earth, there are at least three others thare are still being researched.

Sources: http://www.astro.uwo.ca/~wiegert/3753/3753.html, http://www.astro.uwo.ca/~wiegert/AA29/AA29.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_orbit

Final: Healing addictions through virtual reality By Claudia Zapien

March 2nd, 2009

Virtual addiction therapy is a form of using the technology of virtual reality to allow a patient to visualize the damage made from additions and use that image to be the catallizing force for their addiction treatment. This type of treatment would be more of a preventative measure for patients who are in the beginning stages of their addition or patients who need a sort of motivating force to begin a treatment that will help them overcome addiction to alcohol,tobacco, illegal and prescription drugs. The therapy would not be the only form of treatment, but it will be accompanied by either drugs and /or counseling depending on the needs of each particular case.  

Claudia Zapien

Final Abstract/James Martin

March 2nd, 2009

The human body is one of the most complex organisms on the face of planet Earth. With ten of the most organ systems known, the human body is extremely complicated and very hard to learn about. Many learn about the human anatomy through textbook, but there are many who never get hands on experience with the human body. Through eleven very large exhibits, people will be able to explore the human body and gain as much knowledge as an expert. They will learn and be able to see how food goes through the body and how each individual organ works within the body. The human body is a very useful tool.

Week 8: Space, A new dimension of art Claudia Zapien

March 2nd, 2009

As technology has advanced the limits of what was once seen as something impossible to do or obtained have been pushed and we can say that the sky is the limits. In the past century a new and highly diverse genre of art has emerged and it has everything to do with the outer space. Human’s curiosity has been evident by out fascination with the unknown and before our success with traveling into outer space we had no concrete evidence of what was out there and how our knowledge on the matter would affect our lives. Even without the evidence people for decades have had an idea of what it is that the world beyond earth is and this has been introduced to us in literature, movies, television and art. Space art came into being before the successful journey of man going into outer space and it is because of artist that push  for the development of this type of art that this type of technology has been advancing  as it has.

Artists have been at the forefront of space exploration since its very beginning. Their works of imagination have stimulated and pushed the desire for us to push for the development of technology in order to obtain the knowledge that was desire about the unknown. Works of art and literature about space have both anticipated and stimulated space development while exploring destinations and technological concepts that were often too dangerous, too distant or too advanced for the science and technology of the moment.

Artists have worked closely with space scientists and engineers to help them to visualize and develop their scientific and technological concepts making the dream of space exploration a reality. Science Fiction literature that revolve around space and movies have gained high publicity and have encouraged the advancement of space exploration. Because the idea of space has been so popular it is easy to gain support whether it be physical or monetary for the development of this branch. As such it stimulates the public’s fascination with space exploration and likewise has a positive influence on maintaining the public support for further space development.

Now that we have achieved the capacity travel beyond earth we have found a whole new dimension to explore and create art. Not only are we bringing space to earth in architecture, art, literature and television, but now we have a completely different way to bring art to life and that is in outer space where we can play with the idea of weightlessness. Once we got into a place where the laws of gravity do not apply in the “normal” way in which we are accustomed, we have opened a door for great possibilities.

By Claudia Zapien 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM__xxMtGu8

http://www.arsastronautica.com/upload/news/zg-artscatalyst.jpg

Final_Abstract/ Blind Dating/ Ariel Alter

March 2nd, 2009

Online dating makes your eyes red and your fingers tired. Systematically, I, uh I mean, you, dear reader, sift through profile after profile, not even reading what the person has to say about his or herself, judging the person on what is contained within that supposedly truthful little icon. Imagine this late Saturday night scenario you have often: a person instant messages you through an online dating site, and you immediately reject them due to the immediate appearance of their profile picture. I’ve never online dated, but this is supposedly what happens, quite often.

But what if there was a dating system where all judgement about appearance and the sound of someone’s voice was suspended? I propose such a site. The “dating” will occur on a site, but daters will be redirected to a theme park type environment created specifically for the site for their “date.” Daters will have to wear asexual suits resembling the figures in this comic:

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF130-Book_World.gif
http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF120-Moon_Bunny.jpg
http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF025-Rainbow.gif

Industrial designs of costumes coming soon.

The project will ultimately ask, is it possible for a world where men and women can consider themselves intellectual companions, rather than obstructing a relationship due to immediate perceptions about their sexual value? Are our desires really are own? Meanwhile, the project will shave off all the tedious uncomfortable alienating things about most online dating sites.