Week 8/ Time in Space/ Andrew Curnow

Space, what is it exactly? Is it in the astronomical sense: the infinitely growing area we, our planet, out solar system are immersed in. Or the rather common term: the area we live our lives in everyday. Either way though both are areas we reside in, however the complexities of both are extremely different. As I contemplated my own life, living day by day, feeling emotions and having petty concerns with my environment, I realized that as human beings our idea of space is that of the living world we work in. However once you look deeper, our days, years, even lives are undoubtedly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Space, in the sense of galaxies and solar systems, causes our own lives and persona to be nearly nonexistent, something that seemingly never occurred.

I began to realize that the time we live in, differs greatly, if not completely, than that of the time of space in the ever-expanding universe. And even more, our definition of nothingness is extremely biased. Through the human perception, without any deeper thought, when an individual looks at a spot on the ground the term ‘nothing’ comes to mind. However, deeper observation allows sight of bacteria and other forms of life. In deep space, the term nothingness takes a completely new meaning, though even still, basic atoms can certainly be observed. The time and ‘nothingness’ of space gives it its mysterious overtone, however what truly is time in space? Its obviously not measured in minutes and hours. This led me to research the topic, which led me to a knew concept: Spacetime. This idea, in a mathematical sense, kept the world we know and the universe we perceive as three dimensions, and time kept as a fourth dimension. The notion of spacetime, kept tangent all events in the universe as various ’spacetimes’, the events being unique points on the spacetime planes relative to their place and time. Thus, the recording of events in space isn’t actually a measurement of time, rather a graphed unit  in which events can be placed in four dimensional planes based on where and ‘when’ they occurred relative to each other. This whole idea truly boggled my mind, a timeline that has dimensions rather than a single line tying events.

The spacetime continuum is an idea that not many can handle, but even so the nothingness of space many can understand. The word nothing, though biased, can be proved nearly true in space, though mainly the nothing is more of an idea of movement. With no ‘ground-zero’ and constant motion in space, where a particle has been proves that there is a form of ’something’ at every point on the space-time continuum. And from this nothingness nearly anything can be created. The basic elements of hydrogen and helium gases, something a normal being may consider as ‘nothing’, can be compressed and forced under gravity to create the largest space body commonly known, a star. From this, the complexity of space is expanded even more, what exactly –is- space, if anything we could ever know can be seemingly created from nothing by the fundamental laws we know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAqSCuHA0j8