Week 8\Art in Space\Amy Chen

I realized that Professor Vesna didn’t really talk much about the art and space in the lectures this week, other than from what I remember which was Arthur Wood’s “Cosmic Dancer” which was a floating sculpture in a zero-gravity floating chamber.  Although I DID enjoy that piece of art, because it represents the “new” frontier of art and how sculpture can change through space, I wondered if anything else like that existed.   I googled “Art in Space” and actually found other pieces done be other artists, such as a painting done by Nasser Asam.  

Nasser Asam

Nasser Asam

Although not technically in space, his painting was created in something simulation similar to zero gravity  He painted this painting in 23,000 feet in the air aboard a parabolic aircraft.  Knowing that painting in zero gravity will affect his ability to draw, he first sketched disembodied figures while on the ground and then while in the air, proceeded with filled in the area with acrylic paint.  An interesting note is that his finishing touches were done with oil pastels.  Using paint would have caused the paint to float in midair.      

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7496688.stm  - click here to watch him in progress

I didn’t realize until I clicked on another link that there were actually two other artist with him as well on the parabolic fight.  One other artist, Lyn Hagan, tried to film the predatory instincts of a cat with a mouse in zero-gravity but both ended up sick.  Luke Jerram, another artist, also became sick and had his piece cut short.  There was 8 other scheduled artist but they all for some reason or another did not show.  

While doing this google search I would receive link after link about Nasser Asam and I realized not much artwork has probably been done in space.  At the very least it’s only been in a zero-gravity chamber or anything close to it.  Other links that I got regarding art and space is Richard Garriott’s Zero Gravity Art Show in which he will be hosting in space.  They don’t show pieces of his work but he has, alongside his mother as well, created and practiced drawing and painting in zero gravity.    http://www.richardinspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Mission_Activities.Other

Switching gears a bit, I was very impressed by the lecture given by Gil Kuno.  His latest work which involves projection onto surface, “Vortex” is a piece that stretches 2D projection over a 3D surface, thereby warping and stretching 2d dimension in a third dimension.  Another piece I enjoyed was “Tracts” which was the piece with the pig intestine.  Viewers are allowed to blow air into a mouthpiece which will transverse through the intestine, which acts as a natural resonator, to create interesting sounds mixed with other effectors.  The “space” aspect I liked was that the pig intestine is flat until mixed with human interaction and breath.  The breath that goes throughout the pig intestine warps it in a way that makes sculptural and 3D, waving and moving to the slights vibrations in the particpant’s breath.  The last piece I enjoyed was an actual installation I had seen known as “Haze.”  Once again Gil Kuno uses projection to alter the surface which the projection is projected on to alter our own perception of it.  The smoke that is seen coming down the stairs interacts with it’s surface in such a way that really does make it seem three dimensional and real.  Kuno alters space around him to give different medium a different perspective.