Nathan Reynolds, Week 6, The Controversy Behind Biotechnology

The use of biotechnology, regardless of intent, is something that can prove questionable and, at times, unethical.  There are also always proponents and opponents of any measure of any application of such technology.  This has been the case for every subject in the spectrum, ranging from the use of “organically grown” food to utilizing stem cells.  Despite the conflict, both sides fight for rather noble causes.  This makes the ethos and pathos behind such disputes harder to break.

My own opinions concerning genetic and cybernetic enhancements have yet to be firmly established.  I have convictions, both personal and religious, which contribute to my reasons and my confusion.  I believe that human life is precious and should be preserved, but does that mean that we should preserve the unborn for the sake of their purposes or utilize them to preserve the lives of their fellow men?  These questions intrigue me, since both sides are considerably important.

I do take more of a definitive stand on things such as organically grown vs. “non-organic.”  I believe that if you can make a species used for food more efficient, then that process is worthy of research.  The more efficient a creature is, the result is that less are required to reach the same end.  This means that fewer creatures must die, fewer must live under “questionable” conditions, and fewer resources must be used to raise them.

Despite my lack of a firm opinion on certain things, I have two driving reasons behind my reasoning: opportunity and purpose.  If an unborn child possesses the opportunity to live, it should not be denied that.  By denying the life of such a child, you destroy its purpose, or manipulate it for your own ends.  Who has the right, or perfection to make such a judgment on a fellow human?