Week 6/ Ethics Considered/ Kelly Tseng

This week’s discussion about biotechnology was especially intriguing to me since I find that it is a very controversial topic in our society today. Whether it violates many of the ethical rights of humanity or facilitates the everyday lives of people due to its beneficial repercussions, biotechnology is undoubtedly a technology that has and will continue to benefit human existence on earth. I find the science behind biotechnology nothing short of amazing. The way scientists can fully clone human organs so that they can replace damaged or failing organs is such an amazing innovation that can possibly end all human strife. One particularly interesting project that Professor Vesna mentioned in class was “Dolly the Sheep.” Dolly was the first mammal to have been successfully cloned from an adult cell. The reason why Dolly was so significant was because of the fact that before her creation, there was no proof that any differentiated animal cell could give rise to entirely new organisms. Inspired by the creative inventions of biotechnology, I went on to search appealing projects on the web and something that I remember learning about in a Life Sciences class last quarter. The Human Genome Project, which was initially headed by the double-helix co-founder—James Watson, himself, it has mapped most of the genes of the human species. Although knowing predicting future diseases a particular individual might have may have beneficial implications, I along with many others, believe that it may only end up hurting individuals and taking away from their quest on this planet—to live. For example, if one knows what disease he/she will have when she is 45 and if there have not been any cures found for that disease, then wouldn’t that information only constantly worry the individual and take from the individual’s purpose for living. Thus, although many biotechnological innovations have seemed favorable and advantageous for our society, we must take the time to second all of their pros and cons before we decide to accept their use into our society and lives.