Week 5 / Integration (Midterm Blog) by Marie De Austria

As I look at all the topics we have discussed since the beginning of the course I realize that everything has a counterpart, or in literary terms, a foil, that differentiates and defines it. Art is the expression of human creativity, a realm of abstract imagination, and sometimes, a fictitious representation of reality. Science, on the other hand, is built on facts, statistics, numbers, mathematics, experimentation, observations, inferences, theories, and concrete details. Then we began to talk about industrialization and robotics. We learned how the advancement in science brought about our current economics and technology as well as futuristic books and movies that predict a possible outcome of uncontrolled science. We saw how scientists invented robots that could move like human beings and do human activities such as chores, bartending, dancing, and other things. The following week we discussed the counterpart of robotics – the human body. We learned how humans have been trying to discover more about themselves by experimenting on cadavers, using digital imaging to represent their bodies, as well as using their own bodies as canvases for their artworks.

The more I analyzed the topics, however, the clearer the blur between the opposite subjects became. What I mean is that each topic feeds upon the other and the more connected, rather than separate, they become. Art may be filled with abstraction and fiction but it still has a sound basis. For example, an architectural building can be as crazy and imaginative as creating a modern home on a waterfall but the structure of that home needs to be carefully calculated using mathematics and reinforced by proper materials. The mathematical calculations as well as the analysis of materials fall directly under the realm of science. Similarly, the difference between robots and humans is gradually decreasing. Robots are created to perform human activities, replace human parts, or replace a human being completely (such as in very dangerous jobs). There have also been speculations on creating an A.I., or artificial intelligence. Humans, from birth onwards, are trained to be consumers; they are programmed by their DNA to survive, eat, take care of their children, sleep, feel, etc. And as a clincher, there have been developments related to bionic technology wherein humans are given robotic body parts.

The integration between these traditionally considered opposite topics is apparent in my presentation topic – ironic gallery. The rich defines who the poor is and the poor defines who the rich is. I proposed to create a gallery filled with ironic drawings or photographs related to waste. In it I explained how the privileged parts of the world can take their resources – such as food, water, energy, money, time, knowledge, etc. – for granted by wasting them while underprivileged parts of the world cannot even dream of these resources much like a person with no senses cannot imagine the world abstractly because he has not even had the chance to experience it. The goal of my project is to raise awareness towards the growing disparity between the rich and the poor in this world – to try to lessen the gap and for each to use their resources wisely – thereby blurring the difference between the have and the have-nots.