Week 5: Midterm Blog by Joseph Racca

Over the last few weeks, I’ve begin to grasp a general understanding of how art and science work together to create scientific art or artistic science, depending on which perspective a person has.  We’ve seen science take the form of art, as in the virtual bubbles, as well as art taking the form of science, as with fractals and the golden ratio.

Every week as we progress from one topic to another, it all starts back at square one with two cultures, art and science.  For example, the fractals are art pieces that use algorithms that go on forever and ever.  And others also use algorithms as well in creating their art.  Math plays a huge role in Marquardt’s masks and the Golden ration that many artists base their subjects on.  And many celebrities seek the ideal face, and turn to surgeons who deal scientifically with the tissues of the face and body, but at the same time turn to art in order to create a work of art that in the end is the process of science.

Scientists are working on creating robots that could handle and mimic the mental processes of humans.  Through the process, the scientists work with artists as well as with other scientists to find designs that would be most appealing/attractive/efficient when dealing with building the actual robots.  movies have integrated the use of digital animation, and digital animation can only mean one thing, an artistic representation of a science.  We see the special effects on screen, but we don’t see the science behind it all.  Programmers must develop and interpret the digital inputs in order for the images to appear on screen for us to enjoy.

Much of this information was useful for my midterm.

From topics covered in class, my midterm presentation focuses on ways on improving and perfecting the human body after it has perished.  When looking at the Body exhibits, I see stationary objects. But instead of an inanimate exhibit, I feel that I could turn them, the dead bodies, into a living exhibit where the exhibit/exhibits are walking human beings.  But these human beings, will be different with respect to what they were before death.  This project will put the Vitruvian man, the golden ratio, as well as the Marquardt Masks to good use in rebuilding, reshaping, and reconstructing the perfect human being after death.

In class we went over the Body exhibits as well as the golden ratio.  This section of class really intrigued me because I was interested in taking beyond just preservation, such as that of the body exhibits to an even more advanced level, which as I speak of in my project, creating/altering the dead bodies into perfect bodies that can be revived.  And when looking at two cultures, my project took both art and science and used them together.  For example, to create the perfect face, math is used, as well as art as the reshaping must look good.  But as we saw in class, there are a multitude of possibilities that come from plastic surgery, even as I proposed, postmortem cosmetic surgery, the results and consequences could be just as good or just as bad.