week 5 \ week 1-5 \ amy chen

The idea of art and science at first was an entirely new concept to me before arriving to UCLA.  Being an art major, we have fundamental classes we all need to take, Ceramics, Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Photography and New Genres.  I had no idea what New Genres was about but once I took the class for FineArts it was like the world’s materials were at my fingertips.  Art was no longer contained traditionally, no longer constrained to paper or clay but now, everything and anything can be used.  I enjoyed taking Desma9 so much because it explored this concept further, taking it farther than I would have took it myself.  I loved one of the quotes we heard in lecture, that as Science progresses it is more and more like Art, and as Art progresses it becomes more and more like Science.  C.P Snow mentions that the reason why subjects are so separate is because of their dislike towards other subjects for their lack of mutual understanding.  It’s fascinating to see Art and Science breaching their walls to show that when combined, they create something altogether new and unheard of.  It is a separate subject that cannot be solely confined to idea of Art or Science, but to both.  The subjects of week 1-5 all bring to the mind, creativity.  Creativity applied to any study incites a world of discussion, be it about the future to self-reflection to sociology…it can even educate and bring forth ideas not even currently conceivable.  One such idea at the time was Virgil Wong’s Male Pregnancy.  At the time it was inconceivable for a man to be pregnant and his forum incited discussion dealing with morality and how “God didn’t create humans this way.”  It was all hypothetical but yet it still brings forth questions to consider.  When the closest “male pregnancy” did happen, real similar results and responses were seen when compared to Virgil Wong’s “Male Pregnancy.”  Creativity in all subjects is a connection to other studies and links each group together to progress, grow and develop.  It breaks them of their constricting walls of definition, claiming science, math, or any other other subject can only be a certain way and presents a growth of a new culture.    

My midterm project was using the Miller-Urey Experiment as a self-reflection into our actions.  On a screen behind the experiment is a slide presentation describing how the Miller-Urey Experiment works and how after some time amino acids are made from inorganic compounds.  Although amino acids arn’t quite living beings, they are a crucial part to evolution as they come to form the building blocks of life - proteins.  Participants are allowed to fiddle around with the control pad in which the user can turn off any of the three devices - the heat source, electricity, or water condenser.  Each device is supposed to mimic the weather conditions on the primordial earth - the sun, electricity and rain.  There is also an option to completely eradicate all life forms by “flushing” the water down.  I tried to make this project an analogy to our education of our own environment.  Although we are educated and know of future predicaments, we sometimes still choose to make decisions that indirectly affect our environment.  Although we cannot see our action’s results (much like how eradicating the amino acids probably won’t elicit too much of a response or impact) it is still indirectly affecting our environment.  Basically this project was an attempt to have participants self-reflect on their actions in everyday life.