Week 5\Art and Aging\Marian Portugal

The majority of what I learned in this class so far, in these past five weeks, consisted of topics that I have heard of, but was not knowledgeable of.  Week one’s topic, two cultures, was an extremely broad topic that simply related art and science together, just how Bruin Walk connects North Campus to South Campus.  That week’s lecture set the momentum for the rest of my learning in this class.  Because our first assigned blog asked us to discuss how art and science are related, I found myself trying to relate the other blogs after that to past topics.  Some were more difficult than others.  What I believe is important, however, is that I helped develop my thinking skills to connect ideas with one another.  Overall, I discovered that all of the topics we have covered in class are interrelated in some way or another, whether it is through robotic paintings, plasticized human bodies, geometric architecture, or ritualistic body art.  All of the examples that I just gave contain at least one of the four issues we went over in class.  One idea that I believe contains all four of these topics is the use of robots assistance in plastic surgery.  Plastic surgery is an art in itself.  Doctors have to know how to sculpt and modify a patient to make him/her more visually appealing, while knowing what is safe and unsafe to do to the human body at the same time.  Using robots also have the ability to use smaller incisions into the skin.  This may lead to less obvious scars, and a quicker healing time, because the chances of infection decrease.

The title of my midterm presentation is “Art and Aging.”  I wanted to explore if engaging in artistic activities for the elderly will help them maintain, or slow the deterioration of their cognitive and physical health.  I learned in one of my classes, a GE Cluster on Human Aging, that art exercises the brain’s mental functioning.  This can help mental and emotional health, which in turn will affect physical conditions.  My proposal was to measure the older people’s physical, mental, and emotional conditions through a series of memory tests, blood pressure measurements, stress tests, and assessment of physical/mental disabilities.  This will be done at the end of each week, while the elderly are engaging themselves in artistic activities.  These activities are unlimited and can include clay art (which I focused on), drawing, and painting.  At the end of the assigned weeks, the weekly assessments are compared with one another so conclusions about the effectiveness of these activities. 

There clearly is a relation in my midterm with week one and week four’s lectures.  First of all, the elderly are being involved in clay art, drawing, and painting, which are all some of the main aspects of art.  Secondly, I am trying to relate how this will affect their overall well-being.  This relates to the science aspect of our class.  Although my midterm does not overview all four topics, it still relates some of them together, which proves the inevitability of interconnectedness amongst all aspects of our world.

http://www.ijps.org/article.asp?issn=0970-0358;year=2006;volume=39;issue=1;spage=57;epage=61;aulast=Saraf