Week 5/ There is no technology without science and art/ Kelly Tseng

I have never truly taken a class that covers topics as diverse as this class. Accustomed to learning about very focused and detailed topics in, for example, my physics class where the whole 10 weeks of study will consist of learning about the physics of electricity and magnetism only—DESMA9 proves to be very broad and encompasses three very different, yet very similar mediums. Art, science, and technology, as we have covered throughout the first four weeks, can be spoken as one all-encompassing culture. When I say this, I mean that these three topics can be interwoven together. For example, during the first week we learned about the two cultures, art and science, and how they are complete polar opposites. But when really considered, you cannot really have one without the other. This notion is demonstrated throughout the following weeks. The invention of various biorobotic technologies could never be possible without the knowledge of both fields, art and science. To design and sketch out a blueprint of, for instance, an artificial leg requires the skills of an artist whereas to devise the method of constructing such a device requires the skills of a scientist.

The various movie clips that we saw in class during week 3 showed such technological advancements that rely on art and science. Blade Runner, for example, is a movie that depicts a dystopian Los Angeles in the year 2019, in which genetically manufactured beings, Nexus 6, are used for dangerous work on Earth. How could these exact replicas of the human race be produced? The sculpture of these human bodies, in which every detail resembled that of a real human person, would require the brains of an artist. On the other hand, the ingenuity of creating a living being that could mimic the behaviors of an actual human being as well as perform all bodily processes except for the display of human emotion, would definitely require the skill of a scientist. Therefore, I believe that technology is, in a way, the product of art and science; it is the creative means of expression for both the artist and the scientist and it is what unites the distinction of the two.

My midterm project encompasses a lot of the various topics discussed in class. My idea was to expand on the current dining trayless movement that has just started this quarter in Hedrick Dining Hall. I wanted to imagine and approximate how much water (energy) would be conserved if all the dining halls on campus went trayless. Then taking these hypothetical numbers, I would construct a new found city that would subsist purely on the water conserved in our dining halls. I imagined that there would be some sort of underground water canal system that would run through contemporary hydroelectric machines to generate electric power that would fuel the city. The remarkable design of the city would entail the energy source at the center of the city. There would be underground electrical fixtures that would transmit electricity to each household as well as all the businesses and city regulated buildings. My idea would require the skills of very talented engineers in order to construct the complex underground water-to-energy conversion system. Artists, on the other hand, would also be needed to make my city aesthetically pleasing. This idea, which will hopefully deliver the message of how beneficial and profound the effects of conserving water would have on our environment, would definitely not be possible without the inseparable cultures of art and science.