Week 2\Math with Art\Jay Park

http://www.graphica.com/gallery/trott9.html

In my eyes, the art has to make sense. The inevitable requirement of great art is therefore the necessity of the art in question to obtain a sense of beauty from what my mind is geared towards–math. The art I appreciate, like the math I know, flows constantly and smoothly without jagged edges and blunt finishes. The flow of the equation is effortless and balanced, as it tells a tale of a thousand words in one snapshot. As math can show acceleration, velocity, and distance travelled all in one static page, so too can the unique efforts of artistic minds show the movement of a nude down a staircase on canvas. When looking at an image, the inherent limitation of stillness in such a medium engages the artistic creativity to show that which isn’t possible. The sense of progressive time erupts from the stillshot perspective through ultimately the use of mathematics. The transposition of repetitive imagery produces a linear progression of time and dynamics that others argue starts from art to math, not the other way around. I cannot deny this claim, but nor can I claim it as true, since in my mind I find the math necessary to understand and create the art. In other words, there is subjectivity in assuming art the predecessor of math, or vice versa. 

http://darkdestroyer.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/2009-nissan-skyline-gt-r/

The engineering feat of the new Nissan Skyline GT-R exemplifies the beauty that results unintentionally from perfected mathematical model. All the crevices, crooks, angles, and edges are engineered, designed, and crafted to fit one driving purpose–to channel all the windforce to the huge spoiler in the back for the necessary downforce to the rear tires. Consider the concept drawings  in the video. Was the mockup design drawn before any mathematical consideration was given? If only we knew the progression of the design team. It is safe for me to speculate, however, that the mathematical consideration came before the beauty. I justify this by asserting the historical background of the Nissan Legend’s race-performance pedigree. Beyond style comes the absolute goal of performance worthy of the Skyline lineage. From this dedication to performance, came the design that would accomodate the traditional front engine, rear-wheel drive setup–the front-heavy posture, the thick and wide-spread rear stance. The necessity of a dynamic weight adjustment to the rearsets for variable highspeed traction turned to aerodynamics for help. The result is a sleek, aerodynamically slippery design that looks just as good as it performs. 

Both sides of the case can be made between art then math versus math then art. Therefore, I can only assert that it is up to a subjective, individual assessment as to determining which came first and which was more important. Nevertheless, it is obvious that math and art share a common result. Mathematical optimization and artistic perfection often go hand in hand and this understanding is one of the most amazing things about the natural world we live in.