Week2/Fine Artist v.s. Photoshop/ Lam Tran

Ok, so my sister is an “artist.” She has a degree in motion graphics (design art) and a background in fine art. She told me that there is a split in the art field: Design art and Fine arts. This class, our T.A. ( atleast the stuff in their portfolio they showed on thursday) and our professor are into the Fine arts. This is often seen as the more abstract, but hardcore art.

O.k. now to go into the stuff we learned this week:

The vanishing point, 3d objects, shadows, mirror reflections etc. can all be automated by simple clicks in photoshop. Adobe photoshop is only one example, and the most well known one (that is why i chose to include that in my title), where careful calculations are no longer needed to make shadows and such realistic. Back in the 1900’s ,where this Non-Euclidian art was starting up, and technology primitive at our perspective, calculations and backgrounds in math were required to make their art more realistic. In terms of 3d objects, the geometric calculations were required to actually make sure the peices fit together. Nowadays, all these things can be simply done on a computer. If one wanted to make a 3d object, like Piero de la Francesca’s dodecahedron (from lecture), he or she can just type how big they want it on the computer and it will put out the angles   the pieces, the dimensions of each piece, and any other information required to make it. Going back to photoshop and taking vanishing point as an example, designer artists don’t have to worry about lighting or planar projections to make the vanishing point loook realistic. There is vanishing point tool that one can just use or you can do it yourself by manipulating the planes (like how Filippo Brunelleschi did in the 1415) but now much easier. Here is a comical tutorial of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6-twlgJhU

N0w to relate this to my first paragraph:

Fine artists, like the instructors in our class, do not take the shortcuts that technology provides. They try to do something new and different. If they do use the “shortcuts” that computer programs offer, it is to enable them to do something even further in half the time. It, in a way, is “harder” or requires more work than just designers who only use programs, such as photoshop, for their work. Some of our TA’s work that they showed this week looked too abstract that I didn’t know or couldn’t really appreciate it but at least i can respect it because they spent all the time and effort, doing all the small things to put it together. This is in contrast to the design art that looks cool with all its flashy colors and motion graphics (think pixar or i-pod commercials) which most people can look at and appreciate it immediatley. What I am getting at is that even though I may not like the fine art being showed in class, I can at least respect it and all the hard work the artists put in to make it.

LAM TRAN