Week1\ArtsBridge\Amy Chen

I initially took Desma9 because after getting into UCLA as an Art Major, I never realized that a DESMA major even existed so I was interested in what DESMA had to offer.  It’s interesting to see that even within the School of Arts at UCLA, DESMA and Fine Arts are very separated.  Professor Vesna made this point herself in her second lecture, stating that even the architecture proves that point by isolating the different classes to different buildings.  After a year, I decided I wanted to change my major to that of Design, but a few realizations made me stick to Fine Arts.  I still have a growing interest in Design and I thought it would always be helpful to take a sort of background history on Design and Media Arts, just like how in Art we had to take a series on Modernism. 

It’s funny how a lot of people put on one end - science, and on the other – art.  It is as if they are two polar opposites, always rebounding off one another and never attracting.  A lot of what Professor Vesna said in her lectures reminded me a lot of another class I’m taking – ArtsBridge.  ArtsBridge is a class that prepares you to teach to inner-city kids about the arts and about other academic subjects through the arts.  I never realized you could learn a lot by merging subjects together with art.  There are so many different ways in which one person can learn that the conventional lecturing might not always be the best. For example, there are audio and visual learners.  Countless articles prove the fact that incorporation of lessons with art actually help to teach a child and can even promote in long-term learning.  So in my upcoming residency that I will teach, I’ll be instructing a class on memory through drawing.  I will teach how artists keep sketchbooks just like journals to document their daily lives or what they saw each day.  I will eventually teach how sketching helps boosts one’s memory and how different diseases of the mind can alter significantly one’s memory.  The incorporation of two different subjects, art and science (sketching/memory) makes for a very strong lesson, regardless if it’s about art or science.  Not everything has to be stuck within the limits of each subject’s.  Incorporating different subjects helps to tie connections to other subjects, which helps to promote a more efficient way of learning. 

The separation of subjects is interesting to trace back.  A lot of subjects complement one another and can even help to make a stronger impact.  Taking Desma9 and seeing Professor Vesna’s pieces demonstrate an aspect of that fact.  In the way that she combines technology and art together to make altogether something new, reminds me of how ArtsBridge Scholars combine two subjects, History, Science, Language, etc. with Art to create a new mix to teaching and learning.  Since when are subjects limited to their own categories?  Combining Arts, Science and Technology will definitely prove interesting to me.  Things are no longer within the lines. 

http://www.arts.ucla.edu/artsbridge/home/