Week 9 / Nanotechnology / Erum Farooque

Nanotechnology is such a broad topic, I have no idea what to talk about. So I searched for nanotechnology art on the Internet and came across this fascinating contest that judged microscopic pictures based how beautiful and bizarre they were. This contest judges each microscopic image from a technological and artistic perspective. In 2005, the picture that won the Most Bizarre category was called the Nano Toilet.The Nano Toilet Here it is:

This contest definitely combines art, science and technology together in that scientists take pictures from a microscope of the small world and nanotechnology and use technology to give an artistic perspective on it. I have also included other entries that are quite interesting and very artistic. The Debutante's Ball

This one on the right looks like many woman attending a ball so it was called The Debutante’s Ball. The one below looks like the inside of a cave filled with icicles or something of the sort but it is called Christmas Tree, which I can see as well  but I think the cave idea works better, or a forest of trees on fire. This brings the nanotechnology of science truly into art. It turned a scientific photograph into an artwork which people can critique and share their different perspectives and ideas of what it is.christmas-tree
Fluffy
Fluffy

Lastly, this one about the dog is named Fluffy and I just found it adorable and it totally looks like cells joining together to make one large organism so it’s like the formation of large life (us and animals) from small life (like cells).  This website link has the winners for the contest for 2008 and I put up the link to show the winner for the best nominee category: http://www.zyvexlabs.com/EIPBNuG/EIPBN2008/2008.html . The video looks like a revolving crown, pretty neat stuff.

Another interesting nanotechproject I found is about Paul Doherty. He found the little toy that kids play with that makes a whirling sound fascinating and dissected the physics behind it. He used the “whirlies”, as he likes to call them, to make different sounds and music. Interestingly enough, the sound they make is not due to the air rushing past the tube so fast as most would expect. To explain what really happens, he compared the air in the tube to marbles. The air is forced out of the tube really fast as the whirlie is spun around like like a tube full of marbles spinning around would force the marbles to burst out. The sudden forceful bursting out of air makes the sounds. Different notes can be played by the whirlies as well. Spinning faster would cause higher notes to be produced, whilst slowing down would make lower notes. He uses whirlies to make music, a unique and creative way for sure. A cellist who was initialy interested in using these toys to make music now uses them sometimes at her concerts, or it is rumoured that you can always hear one playing at her concerts. Her name would be Sarah Hopkins.

Here is the link to Paul Doherty’s findings: http://isaac.exploratorium.edu/~pauld/activities/AAAS/aaas2001.html.

~*~Erum Farooque