Extra Credit/ Sound Symposium/ Tammy Le

This past week I attended a presentation at the Sound Symposium, and although there was no lecture at the hour I went, there was a presentation about Visual Music.  Cindy Keeper, the curator of the Center For Visual Music, presented a visual and audio masterpieces from Visual Music artists Oscar Fishinger and Mary Ellen Bute.  She defined” visual music as music for the eyes comparable  to music for the ears,” and described it as the “visualization of music.”  One of the artists highlighted in her presentation was Oscar Fishinger, known as the Father of Visual Music, who pioneered the art of connecting the movement of images and colors with the melodies of audio music, as Keeper showed us in his famous piece, Algretto.  Fishinger believed “every object has its own intrinsic sound.”  Before attending this presentation, I did not pay much attention to the mundane sounds of different objects nor how they’re movements or very being cold personify different types of music.   Mary Ellen Bute’s Mood Contrast is another work that allows audiences to “see sound.”  Her vivid use of geometric shapes and their movement parallel the tempo and dynamics of the musical compositions to which it is paired.  I found it intriguing how these artists were able to tell a story through music and visuals simply using abstract shapes and colors rather than merely explicitly telling the story to its audience.  Visual music brings new life to sound, and a new dimension to art.