Week 9/ Art Through Scientific Means/ Kelly Tseng

What is nanotechnology?  First of all, one nanometer is one billionth of a meter.  Therefore, the study of nanotechnology is related to the study of matter at an atomic and molecular level.  If it is still quite difficult for you to imagine how small a nanometer is on a scale of meters, compare the size of a marble to the size of planet Earth.

I find it quite remarkable how nanotechnology is so diverse, extending over the fields of medicine, energy production, and electronics.  Application of its fundamentals leads to creations in many significant devices and materials such as nanoprocessors (microprocessors capable of creating features smaller than 100nm).

This exciting and diverse topic inspired me to search for other innovative projects or creations in this field of science.  When I came across projects based on the new art discipline at the art-science-technology intersections (known as nanoart) I was quite thrilled because this basically tied in the theme of our DESMA 9  class- Art, Science, and Technology.  Nanoart is unique in that it features creations of natural matter using chemical and physical processes.  The end result is something as beautiful as an authentic piece of art you would find at an art gallery.

These flowers were grown by scientists by putting droplets of liquid metal on a silicon chip.  The scientists then manipulated the pressures and temperature in the experiment to create three-dimensional flowers.  The shape of the flowers were produced by weaving wires made of silicon carbide.  These wires, in the next several years, will hopefully be used to develop the next generation of electronic devices.

I am extremely enthralled by this picture because it is really breathtaking.  It reminds me of a still water oil painting by Claude Monet.  The artist of this picture called “Nano Poolette” is Carol Cooper and was found on a blog site featuring nano-materials and nanotechnology “built” from everyday objects from the nanoscale up.

http://nanoscale-materials-and-nanotechnolog.blogspot.com/2007/03/picture-of-day_08.html

Overall, nanoart, I believe, is a remarkable and innovative synthesis of both the scientific and artistic realms.  I really admire the fact that such great art pieces could be produced from natural processes involving scientific methods.  Many artistic creations are visualized with scientific research tools such as the scanning electron microscope and atomic force microscope.  The captured “scientific images” are then developed and processed using “artistic techniques” to convert them into amazing works of art such as the ones seen above.