alice nakata/week 7/memory

I am just known to all my friends as having a bad memory, especially when it comes to people’s names and faces. I have always needed repetition in order to remember things. I didn’t think there was any way you can “train” your memory, but apparently there is.

Tadamasa Fujimoto is a 41-year-old Japanese male who, due to an unfortunate accident in his adolescence, suffers from a memory disorder. He cannot hold a memory; his memory is severely short term. But by training his memory in his own way, he is now able to hold his memory longer and is able to memorize things at an incredible speed.

In his training, he shuffles a deck of cards, flashes each card and memorizes the order. He can memorize the random order of all 52 cards in 48 seconds. Another is to memorize numbers with multiple digits. He looks at a paper with many numbers and can recite them, again memorizing at an incredible speed. 15 digits in 1 second, 20 digits in 2.5 seconds, 30 digits in 9.5 seconds, and 100 digits in 1 minute 30 seconds. He can also memorize illustrations, names, faces, and phrases. His personal record for memorizing 500 illustrations is 20 minutes.

The way he trains his memory is plain and simple. He just does what is described in the above paragraph every day. It soon became a hobby to memorize everything he sees and thus improved his medical condition. This “memory training” is now used with the elderly and people who suffer from memory disorders, as well as students who uses this method to study.