Archive for the ‘misc’ Category

Paige Marton/midterm blog/week 5

Monday, February 9th, 2009

Having to choose a concept that related back to the two cultures and art science and technology seemed so broad that I was sure I could find something to do. However, it took countless hours to develop my initial idea into the concept/invention I presented in my midterm. My device uses sensors to detect brain activity in specific regions where most dreams are created. With this information it creates a video stream that illustrates the dream you had according to the brain waves it receives. It then archives the dreams in its memory card and you have the ability to watch your dreams. When I came up with this idea I was writing a paper on surrealism, the subconscious, psychoanalysis, and Freud. These topics inspired me to think of a modern way to interpret dreams using science and technology. There is already technology present that can map brain waves and manipulate them and I concluded that my invention would work in a similar manner. My concept relates back to the human body, robotics and possibly a new age way of diagnosing psychiatric patients. 

I was expecting to create an art project because thats my background and its honestly what I’m most interested in. But I was pleasantly surprised by my concept and the amount of science and modern technology I had to research to understand the possible ways it could work. I believe this invention truly embodies the two cultures. It explores such an abstract human experience through tangible science and technology. It really connects the two ideas of art and science to create a machine that can explore what artists have expressed through their work for ages. 

At first glance, all the topics covered in our first four weeks seem disjointed. However, I am finally starting to see the connection and my project is the embodiment of my understanding.

-paige marton

Week5_Midterm_Blog_JillianCross

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Throughout the first 5 weeks of class, we have been exposed to a wide variety of combinations of art and science. The first week focused on the division between the two cultures that revolve around both art and science. in my first blog, I emphasized the differences in these cultures that I personally feel in my everyday life. However, as the weeks progressed I have come to realize that the line between these two cultures is a very fine one indeed.

Week 2 was pretty exciting because we were able to focus on math in art and science. I loved researching the fourth dimension and trying to apply it to both areas of study. It is so interesting how different people interpret the fourth dimension and how it is used in both the artistic and scientifice worlds. Even though I use the fourth dimension in calculations, I would never have imagined the impact it had on the artistic world.

Week 3, I chose to discuss the issue of reproducing art and its relation to keeping the original “aura” after it had been technologically reproduced. The essay presented in the class readings shed a new light on the concept of the originality and meaning of art. I would have passed off reproductions as not being as good before this essay convinced me that the importance of art is how it makes you feel in that moment.

Week 4 resulted in probably the most disturbing video I have seen in a long time. While I discussed the idea that medicine is an art within itself, other people chose to discuss using the human body as a form of artwork. The video of the tribe shown in class was a drastically different way of viewing medicine and art and the human body. It definitely opened my eyes to something that I would never have even imagined before this week. The idea of plastic surgery as medicine and art was also a popular topic on the blogs. Again, I would not have thought of this as art because I tend to see the human body as a work of art in itself.

Overall, I have been exposed to topics and discussions in the first five weeks that I never would have sought out on my own.

I chose to incorporate some of these topics into my midterm project-The Art Airliner. The Art Airliner relates to week 1 because it helps bridge the gap not only between the two cultures, but also between different people across the world. By combining art and the newest technology, the Art Airliner attracts many people who may consider themselves to be a part of only one of the cultures.

My project also focused heavily on week 3, the industrial side of art and the technological reproduction of artwork. The Art Airliner uses new technology to reproduce famous works of art and bring them to areas of the world that typically would not be exposed to the artwork. I would not have though of using technology to reproduce art before the discussions in week 3. After reading the assigned reading, I realized that many people will appreciate even a reproduced work of art because of the way it makes them feel. This is the premise for bringing the holograms onto the airborne museum.

Although my project doesn’t focus on medicine, the idea for it is rooted in an airborne hospital-the ORBIS Flying Eye. Currently, there is a teaching hospital that circles the globe in hopes of curing blindness. I thought that if they could make a hospital airborne, an airborne museum would also be possible and very beneficial.

Therefore, my project attempted to incorporate the majority of our lecture topics. I definitely could not have come up with the Art Airliner before taking this class.

Week5: Midterm Blog - It all comes together, by Joon Jang

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The first two weeks talk about two apparent opposites, the art and the sciences.  The material in the second week discusses the art’s need for science and the science’s need for art for their development.  For example, as mentioned in the second and the fourth weeks of class, artists have studied anatomy to improve their realism in drawing human figures.  This implies that art and science are interrelated, if not, as Leonardo Da Vinci said, one and the same in their essence.  The third and fourth weeks are related to each other by the fact that the improvements in the industrial equipments also improve the medical aspect of our lives.  The artworks arising from the fruits of industrial and medical technology indicate that the link between art and science is as strong as ever.  But this time, unlike in the second week, where art increased the need for science, the third and fourth week focuses on the motivation that art receives from contemporary sciences.  The reasons for this may include controversial technologies, and/or the downside of current technology that asks certain activist artists to speak out and express their opinions through art.  Also, a more direct effect that science has on art as covered in the third and fourth weeks is the increase in freedom and the scope at which an artist can explore; thanks to technology, there are now digital arts, nano arts, bio arts, 3D printing, laser art, robotic art, statistical art using the internet for its data, and so much more.  What allows the first two weeks and the next weeks of class to be linked to each other is the mathematical aspect that continues from ancient times to this day.
It is important to note that art and science has the same fundamental goal, which is to improve the quality of life of human beings.  This is the aspect that links the first two weeks of class with the next two weeks, which focused more on materialistic improvements.  Since the goal is the same from both sides, even if they are supposed to be completely opposite to each other, their paths must cross.
My presentation has very much to do with the Two Cultures; it deals with the mystical/artistic with the scientific.  It is an attempt to join together the two aspects for its universal purposes of educating of the scientific as well as the mystic (although considering where science is going, it may no longer be considered mystical in the future).  The presentation also relies on the industry that produces the materials necessary to build the project, with identical tubings, for example, as well as the computing power that operates the project.  That brings me to the medical and mathematical aspect of my presentation, which relies on the GDV sensors which are medical tools, and calculations necessary to make the fountains react to the signals on the sensors.  And again, the presentation combines all four aspects for a single purpose of improving our lives.
In the first week of class, I did not see much potential in the joining of art and science.  However, as I worked on my presentation, I realize the potential of their combination.  Art can be a way to deliver messages to people and inspire them; science can be a way to achieve it.  Science can be a way to create a world of freedom where people can explore anything they want; art can be a way to achieve it.

TED talks

Friday, January 30th, 2009

These are the links to the videos we saw in class:

Golan Levin (audiovisual art/software engineering)
Chris Jordan (photography/statistics)
Jonathan Harris (narratives/visualization)

misc \ office hours \ Alberto

Saturday, January 24th, 2009

From next week, until the rest of the quarter, I will have office hours on Thursdays, 1-2pm. Contact me via email (apepe at ucla dot edu) to arrange a meeting.

misc \ hello \ Alberto Pepe

Saturday, January 10th, 2009

hello students in section d,

my name is Alberto - I will be the TA for this section and the admin for this blog. If you have problems or questions re the blog or the class, you can email me at apepe@ucla.edu

Unfortunately - I will have intermittent access to the webs and email until Sunday afternoon (I am away until then) but I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.

You should find the instructions on how to post your first blog in these pages. Remember to include week number (e.g. week1), a title (of your choice), and your name in all posts. This format for the post title would be nice: week# title name.

thanks,

alberto