Week 5 Desma and Me by Brendan Ryan

Desma nine has so far served to open my eyes to the practical application of science for creative purposes. My midterm was on the potential coming extinction of bananas and how to help prevent it. Bananas have been put in danger by genetic engineering which has made them more delicious but less resistant to disease. Before art science and technology I might not think of genetically engineering a fruit to be more delicious the same way. If I look at that statement with the article “Two Cultures” in mind it makes me think of what an awesome blend of science and art that is. The use of genetic engineering to make my environment more delicious is a very creative application of science in an artistic way.

Having seen the artistic and creative potential for the very same concepts I am learning about in engineering classes is inspiring. I am beginning to see the possibility of innovation whenever a new skill is learned. The application of creative problem solving I think is the core of this class which is the same as most of my science classes but the difference comes with desma being more based in practical application and science being rooted in esoteric theory. While I appreciate both it is encouraging and exciting to see examples in class of artistic applications of science. I have developed a new interest for concepts like these of Luigi Colani:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/05/extravagant-designs-by-luigi-colani.html

Desma 9 is a wake up call to scientists, reminding them all of the importance of creative innovation in their work.  Without artistic integration science is far less useful as a tool for creating a better world.  In a strict sense engineers can make the world a better place and contribute to world happiness by playing by the rules and using traditional applications of skills.  However, many of the largest breakthroughs in science, the ones that really make people happy came about by way of creative application, such as the internet, the electric motor, or even something as basic as a musical scale.  The modern musical scale is an application of the idea of waves and overtones in a creative manner.  Many of the most revolutionary scientific breakthroughs are extremely artistic.  It is no coincidence that Leonardo DaVinci was a great artist as well as inventor, this is because the best science is also art.

Sometimes the simplest applications of design are my favorite, although it is not particularily scientific i think the idea of using design to solve problems is a core concept in this class and the banana bunker is one of my favorite instances of this (i own one), it can be seen here.

Banana Bunker

Banana Bunker

It is a one size fits all case that protects bananas from any unwanted bruising or mushing.

30 Responses to “Week 5 Desma and Me by Brendan Ryan”

1. BUY PHENTERMINE ONLINE

buy phentermine without prescription…

2. alprazilam says:

BUY ALPRAZOLAM…

ALPRAZOLAM…

3. phejtermine says:

BUY PHENTERMINE WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION…

BUY PHENTERMINE WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION…

4. ioricet says:

buy fioricet…

fioricet…

5. fuoricet says:

inurl:profile.php.mode=viewprofile fioricet

fioricet…

6. buy cheap phentermine 37.5 mg without prescription…

phentermine no prescription…

7. pheentermine says:

pheentermine…

pheentermine…

8. avanida says:

avandia…

avandia…

9. tramadol hci

tramadol…

10. prescription phentermine

phentermine…

11. xanax bars says:

xanax withdrawl

xanax…

12. buy fioricet says:

drug claasification for fioricet

fioricet…

13. cash on delivery fioricet pharmacies

buy fioricet…

14. c.o.d tramadol

tramadol…

15. Cheapest-Viagra-Prices-And-Free-Delivery…

viagra…

16. online pharmacy…

online pharmacy…

17. igogogo says:

igogogo…

igogogo…

18. pharm says:

pharm…

pharm…

19. pharm says:

pharm…

pharm…

20. äåìîíòàæ çäàíèé…

äåìîíòàæ çäàíèé…

21. medication says:

medication…

pharmacy…

22. ãðóç÷èêè ìóñîð

gruzchiki spb…

23. 0000000000501

fotkividiki…

24. ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÀ ÎÔÈÑÀ ÎÔÈÑÍÛÉ ÏÅÐÅÅÇÄ

gruzchiki spb…

25. qwerty 00000810

molly…

26. ÄÅÌÎÍÒÀÆ ÊÈÐÏÈ×ÍÛÕ ÏÅÐÅÃÎÐÎÄÎÊ

minny…

27. ÊÂÀÐÒÈÐÍÛÉ ÏÅÐÅÅÇÄ ÍÅÄÎÐÎÃÎ

minny…

28. URL says:

… [Trackback] …

[...] Read More here: classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/c/?p=989 [...] …