Week 5: Review & Midterm - by Adam Parker

These last 5 weeks have brought out the creative side in me. This class is one of the few that allows students to express themselves artistically and I think that is necessary for education and development. During the first few weeks, I really had no idea what this class was really about. I would just come in and sit down every week and watch the images and visuals go by on the screen. But after some of the discussions and the personalized blogs, I kind of fell into the process and enjoy seeing the new topics every week.

The first week was a great icebreaker topic that got me thinking about the physical, mental, and social differences between the North and South campus and more importantly Science vs. Math people in general. It made me realize that people with different backgrounds can actually see different things entirely. Take the spinning dancer for instance. The class was mesmerized at the fact that your brain could process visuals differently than other people. Seeing first hand that the left or right part of a person’s brain might be more prominent was very interesting. After looking at the dancer for a while myself, I found that if focused hard enough, I could actually get the dance to switch back and forth in direction. It seems that the left and right parts of my brain are competing for dominance.

The Mathematics, Perspective, Time & Space week was especially interesting as an engineer. I got to look at different dimensions from various artists’ views and learn how tesseracts represent the fourth dimension. The most entertaining part of lecture was definitely the 10 Dimensions video that we watched on youtube as a group. I never really thought about a 5th dimension let alone a 6th though 10th.

Industrial Age, Kinetics, and Robotics was fun to learn about because, let’s be honest, who doesn’t like robots? I enjoyed writing the blog that week because it forced me to become familiar with modern and relevent robotics technology. ASIMO, the Honda robot project has come a long way since 2000.

The Human Body and Medicine unit definitely provided some disturbing images. The “artist” who had plastic surgery done to her while she read passages from a book was not only weird and twisted but painful to watch. The most eye-opening topic we covered was the video linked by another student’s blog which allowed us to see another culture’s definition of “ritual”. The tribe that repeatedly sliced the skin of the boys becoming men was even more painful to watch than the surgery.

These past weeks opened a creative flow that allowed me to think of an idea for this midterm. Had this project been presented at the beginning of the quarter, it would’ve been quite an effort to figure out topic. After thinking about robotics and the progress of technology for so long, I inevitably chose a technology related project. My proposal is to create a large spherical virtual reality room in which a participant could travel throughout Earth and Space as easy as Google: Earth. In a nutshell, my exhibit would be like X-Men’s “Cerebro”, but on a smaller scale. Using a touchscreen navigation device, the user could select predetermined tours, such as “The Moon”, “Eifel Tour”, our “The North Star”. Hopefully something as advanced as this will exist in the near future. Until then, we can only wait and see.

4 Responses to “Week 5: Review & Midterm - by Adam Parker”

1. Homepage says:

… [Trackback] …

[...] Read More here: classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/c/?p=957 [...] …

2. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …

3. How To Recondition Old Batteries…

[...]Week 5: Review & Midterm - by Adam Parker « DESMA9_sectionC[...]…

4. Free Electricity…