Week 4_ Extra Credit: Week 2 N/S Campus Mixer by Nicolina Greco

Two weeks ago I attended the North Campus/ South Campus mixer at UCLA, held in the main lobby of the California Nanosystems Institute. It was an exciting experience for me especially because I got to see artist Nina Weisman’s showcase that I helped assemble the previous week. It was amazing to see the finished product. Her art piece consisted of 10 different sized white columns that were placed in a path. Each column had sensors within them that made strange noises when people approached them, and the closer someone approached each column, the more distinct the sound became. The experience that the artist evoked through her work was that the human body was being scanned for nano particles. Each different sized column scanned different parts of the body, which made different sounds based on the area of the body it was concentrated on. Bursts of air shot out of every column to distinguish what part of your body was being scanned. The sounds that protruded from each column were scattered, random noises of beeps, robotic voices in different languages, and deep tones that actually gave a frightened effect. As I walked through the showcase I felt intrigued by the experience it gave me, and I thought it was a really neat exhibit.

At the mixer I got the opportunity to chat with many other students that were both art and science majors. I recall one conversation that I had with a student that was a theater design major, he wants to design sets and get into the industry of engineering props for theatrical performances. What was interesting to me was that he was previously a pre-med, chemical engineering major, but he decided that his other interest, theater, was his true passion and the field he wanted to pursue. I was fascinated about how much he know about both art and science, and it showed me how although the separations on campus are distinct, many people are equally balanced in some way or another and are passionate about both art and science. I also got the opportunity to talk to many grad students here, including one of my former math TA’s, and it was interesting to learn about the kinds of research they were doing. 

The North Campus/South Campus mixer was a great way to meet students of all majors, and taught me to appreciate both sides of campus equally. It was an experience that I was happy to have participated in. 

-Nicolina Greco

(I didn’t get the chance to write this blog until now instead of two weeks ago)

2 Responses to “Week 4_ Extra Credit: Week 2 N/S Campus Mixer by Nicolina Greco”

1. URL says:

… [Trackback] …

[...] There you will find 47722 more Infos: classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/c/?p=717 [...] …

2. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …