History and Technology All-in-one by Sagar Mehta 1C

“During long periods of history, the mode of human sense perception changes with humanity’s entire mode of existence. The manner in which human sense perception is organized, the medium in which it is accomplished, is determined not only by nature but by historical circumstances as well.” This quote by Walter Benjamin really embodies what the Industrial age signifies to me personally. The mechanization the way we made virtually every object and thing imaginable was driven because we had an increasing need to have everything cheaply and quickly. Historical circumstances in Europe during the start of the industrial revolution were quite favorable for the advancement of efficiency and quantity rather than homemade and unique. I think that the major point of this week’s lectures is that sense and perception of modern kinetic art was heavily dependent on the advancement of technology just as many things today are. However, the progression from the plain canvas to moving, touchable art happened only recently as we have become more aware of the innate and powerful link between art and science. There are so many interpretations of what kinetic art and robotics is a simple search on Google will leave you astounded as it did me. http://www.kugelbahn.ch/3_link_kinetics.htm This quarter of school I have a class on the history of the sciences and I can see how the scientists of the past interacted with art and how their mediums of expression were static and unchanging, but however rigid art was it inevitably changed and I can see that in class as well. From the diagrams and pieces of Galileo to the models of Copernicus the standard form had been changing for a while.

In Douglas Davis’s piece about digital reproduction, one line struck me as being very important, “My virtual self can be transmitted even now from New York to Lodz, Poland. Needless to say, these modes of address and interaction are charged with powerful social and psychological implications. In the end, they will touch each of us, as artists, photographers, filmmakers, video-makers, writers, readers, viewers, voters, consumers, managers.” The digital era of today is fraught with many ways to share and distribute your scientific and artistic work. This could be the most important change from the past. Not only can you be inspired by many other artists all around the world and incorporate some of their message in your own but the opposite is also true and thus making the world a very connected place. Robotic art is also an expanding field that many people can connect cutting edge technology and design to make a very cool piece of art. http://asimo.honda.com/

The innovative ideas that so many modern engineers and scientists have about the future can only bring people a more connected world. The Industrial Age has given way to the Digital age and I think that there are many possibilities for the world to discover. Digital reproduction and a change in perception of those who create the art will definitely be important as we progress into the future.

http://asfan.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/asimo-1a.jpg

Sagar Mehta 1c

3 Responses to “History and Technology All-in-one by Sagar Mehta 1C”

1. auto insurance quote…

History and Technology All-in-one by Sagar Mehta 1C « DESMA9_sectionC…

2. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …

3. business says:

business…