Week 2: Knights, Poets, and Prophets of Space

Okay, so due to technical difficulties, this is late, but c’est la vie.

After doing the reading for this week, I found myself thinking about what it means to involve science, and art, and what that has to do with the fourth dimension at all. I am a humanities major, and in all honestly, I have a very unclear vision of what the fourth dimension means, after all, I- as a creature in a what I consider a 3-D world- can really have not that much understanding of anything beyond that. When I see illustrations of the fourth dimension, all I can think about it how it makes sense, but then its on a two dimensional surface, and not actuality. I remember watching this video in my ninth grade science class which was demonstrating dimensions. The paper people living on the two dimensional surface had absolutely no clue about anything beyond that, I mean, after all they couldn’t even really see each other on their paper plane, so how are we different from them? 

I think that this is where the artist steps in. Science can explain to me what the fourth dimension is, how I don’t live in it, and how its possible for me to fail a test on it even though it doesn’t really apply to my daily life. However, if I look at an art piece which is trying to show me the fourth dimension, usually I’m baffled and very curious. Maybe its because I have a large imagination, and the art makes me see the world around me in a whole new sense. Not like the movie the Sixth Sense but something more socially acceptable. Scientists discover these new worlds, but it takes art for me to get interested in them. Its like when I read the Discovery magazine, but I have to look at the pictures for the article to make sense to me. Maybe that’s because I’m more of a visual learner, but also because I find that the artist can enhance the new theory, and really illustrate it in a medium which gets you to start thinking about the subject in an applicable sense, like the fourth dimension. 

So if were living is a very science driven world, as I see it, where is the line drawn between aspects of art, and those of science? The researcher on the fourth dimension must be creative: how weird is it to think that there is another plane beyond what we can sense? An artist is creative as well:  How could M.C. Escher come up with the incredible staircases that lead to nowhere and yet everywhere else too? The point to me is that the human mind is the most incredible thing in the world, and it belongs to scientists and artists both.

4 Responses to “Week 2: Knights, Poets, and Prophets of Space”

1. Online Article……

[...] ….. [...]……

2. Week 2: Knights, Poets, and Prophets of Space …

[...] What web host are you using? Can I get affiliate hyperlink in your host? I want site loaded up as quickly as yours lol[...]…

3. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …

4. Join Animeshed.com a new anime discussion hub…

[...]Week 2: Knights, Poets, and Prophets of Space « DESMA9_sectionC[...]…