Week 2_The Fourth Dimension and Beyond by Adam Parker

As an engineer and a “math guy”, I always believed that the possibility of a fourth dimension was mostly a science issue, but after reading about non-Euclidean geometry in modern art, my views have drastically changed. I now know that all dimensions and ideas of space affect artists just as much as scientists. I found it very eye-opening that the fourth dimension wasn’t just a drawing or spacial tool but was “primarily a symbol of liberation for artists.” In retrospect, this completely makes sense. Before the concept of the fourth dimension emerged, artists were bound to representing reality as everyone saw it in its true form. Once fourth dimension ideas began to spread, artists were given the opportunity to portray the world in any way they saw fit. This led to a very unique era within the world of art. An era which I find fascinating.

The sequence of pictures above shows Jean-Francois Colonna’s representation of the fourth dimension. He begins with a hypercube and alters it until it depicts what he believes to be the fourth dimension. I found it interesting that the cube began as black and white, turned into an array of colors, and then ended with something entirely different - a mixture of gray scale and minimal vibrant colors. The alteration of the hypercube is also very peculiar. It changes from straight formulaic lines, to curvy psychedelic lines, and finally into something that I would like to call, “worms and amoebas”. This evolution of cubes shows the creativity that can be expressed through the idea of alternate dimensions.

Above is a drawing and sculpture from artist Tony Robbin. What I like most about Robbin’s drawing is the fact that it is made up of several different layers. On one hand, there is a complexity of white angled lines which seem to represent a vast blueprint, but one the other hand, the colored shapes give the drawing a sort of depth. By looking at the drawing from different perspectives you can either see a flat collage of colors and shapes or a mixture of overlapping cubes and other three dimensional shapes. Robbin’s sculpture seems to take the artistic ideas from his drawing and converts them into a three dimensional object. The sculpture is still created using white lines to bound the colorful shapes, but this time his creation is truly 3D.

One last example that I found visually appealing is Salvador Dali’s Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus). I liked the fact that he took a world renown symbol and put his own spin on it. Instead of using the usual cross that Jesus is nailed to, Dali decided to use his own form of a hypercube. As seen in the painting, Dali also decided to repaint the crucifixion without nails. Instead it seems that Jesus is invisibly bound to the futuristic crucifix by the small hovering cubes in front of him. In addition, hypercubic crucifix transitions into the rest of the painting by producing a shadow on the black and white checkered floor which repeats across the ground.

9 Responses to “Week 2_The Fourth Dimension and Beyond by Adam Parker”

1. URL says:

… [Trackback] …

[...] Read More: classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/c/?p=381 [...] …

2. auto insurance quote…

Week 2_The Fourth Dimension and Beyond by Adam Parker « DESMA9_sectionC…

3. URL says:

… [Trackback] …

[...] Find More Informations here: classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/c/?p=381 [...] …

4. get car insurance quote online…

[...]Week 2_The Fourth Dimension and Beyond by Adam Parker « DESMA9_sectionC[...]…

5. Kinotrailer says:

Kinotrailer…

6. see more says:

see more…

7. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …

8. Bodybuilding Videos Online…

9. Forex Dawnload Robot…