Extra Credit: Help with Exhibit Wednesday February 25 by Joseph Duy Nguyen

I attended the extra credit event on Wednesday, February 25th which was to help Beatriz Da Costa set up for her exhibit, Invisible Earthlings. This extra credit event involved the same exhibit that I worked on for the previous extra credit event I did on Monday. I arrived to help out at approximately 2-3pm, I think. When I arrived, there were two students from DESMA 9 class, Tau (Vesna’s personal assistant), Stephanie, and Beatriz present. They just got there a little while ago from what I learned.

Well, the first task that was given to me by Stephanie was to go around the room and erase all the pencil marking on the wall that were made for the installation of the boards. It took a while because for some reason the pencil marking line somewhat got carved into the wall. I think it has to do with the type of paint that was used for the wall. As a result, where there were pencil marks, there were little chip of paint. Fortunately, it was not conspicuous at all. After having done the erasing job, Stephanie told me and other DESMA 9 students to move large sheet of plywood to the inner room of the presentation space. The plywood sheets were somewhat large and that took us a while to finish. After having done that task, Beatriz assigned me the job of screwing on little screw pin to the side of the board so that strings with a stylus can be tied to the screw with the hook at the tip. I think that was the easiest job of the day. There were a total of eight or nine boards and I did them all with ease. In the middle of this all, Tau was helping Beatriz to set up internet tablets on the wall directly above each shelves. I helped Tau stick the electric cord of each internet tablet behind the shelves. After having done that task, Beatriz didn’t have anything for me to do for like the next 15-20 minutes. That made it somewhat boring for me as sitting down on the floor waiting is not fun at all. I guess that’s somewhat good for me though, since I can get some rest from my hectic day. By that time, there were only Tau, Beatriz, another DESMA student, and me left in the in the presentation hall. The other DESMA 9 student went home. Now comes the most difficult part of setting up the exhibit. Tau, another DESMA 9 student, and I had to install the poster sticker onto the wall. This is not like regular sticker where you just stick it onto the wall. This one has separate letters that you need to apply on the wall as a whole. It is basically like car decal sticker, but then this one is a two huge paragraphs of words. I think the whole process took about an hour with three people working on it. We messed with some of the words but they are not noticeable. Beatriz realized that the company who charged 400 dollars for the sticker misprinted a line. She called them up and they said they will have that one line ready by tomorrow for pick up. Beatriz already left by the time we finished installing the sticker. It was 5:30pm or so by the time we finished.

I think this extra credit was more of just plain physical labor than a insightful experience. I guess that might have to do with helping out with uninstalling and installing other exhibits before this one. So the whole setting up for an exhibit is not really new to me anymore. Well, either way, I think this reinforce my lesson that any exhibit requires a lot of work.

Here are some pictures I took:

Exhibit being set up.

Exhibit being set up.

Wall sticker that took forever to install.

-Joseph Duy Nguyen

7 Responses to “Extra Credit: Help with Exhibit Wednesday February 25 by Joseph Duy Nguyen”

1. design says:

design…

I think this same and absolutly agree!…

2. [...] da Cosa has form in this area with work on RFID roaches. Whilst we applaud their initiative, we …Extra Credit: Help with Exhibit Wednesday February 25 by …I attended the extra credit event on Wednesday, February 25th which was to help Beatriz Da Costa set [...]

3. car insurance quote…

Extra Credit: Help with Exhibit Wednesday February 25 by Joseph Duy Nguyen « DESMA9_sectionC…

4. mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …

5. mangafox says:

mangafox…

6. juegos says:

juegos…

Keep working ,great job!…

7. kizi says:

kiz…

Hey there would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good web hosting provider at a reasonable…