Extra Credit: North/South Mixer and Particle Group Exhibit by Joseph Duy Nguyen

I went to the extra credit event North/South Mixer and the Particle Group exhibition. When I first came through the door of the CNSI building, I was somewhat nervous because I did not know what to do or who to look for since I am a freshmen. Well, anyway, I walked in and signed in as the outside guard told me to do. After signing in, I had absolutely no clue on what to do as I see people standing around socializing while eating and drinking. I didn’t dare to go up to a group and join in or go get some food so I just stood around for a while. Luckily, I stood next to a guy who did not have a clue on what he is supposed to do as well. We started talking and discuss various subjects. I found out he was also in the DESMA 9 class and that he was there for the purpose of extra credit.

The two of us talked about DESMA 9 and what’s the goal of that class. We both agreed on how we don’t feel like there is any objective to the class. We couldn’t find what goal the class was trying to approach or solve. Anyway, we talked for quite a while, maybe 15 minutes or so. His friends joined us and we actually got a group of people. Some of his friends were north campus majors. These north campus major friends have a somewhat different mindset than mine, which is of a south campus major. We disagree on some topic such as which parts of campus majors are more difficult and which ones are more intelligent. The north campus major students feel that south campus major students are a bunch of cutthroat premed students who are only book smart, whereas north campus major students are gifted and talented in constructing things for human enjoyment. Well, in short, I did get some socializing experience with north campus major students and learned some of the differences and similarities that we have with each other.

After the whole process of socializing, I felt somewhat more comfortable and wandered around, particularly around the numerous white box set up around one part of the CNSI lobby. I didn’t know what the boxes were for at first since I was not told what they were and why they were in the room. I walked around the box and sometimes I would hear a really weird sound. I was very curious about the purpose of those white boxes so I went up to the front desk. There I found various flyers and from those flyers, I found why those white boxes are there. The white boxes are actually the exhibit by the particle group. The white boxes have nanoparticle sensor on them that produce sound waves when they detect nanoparticles from the people nearby. The purpose of the exhibit is to make people aware of all the nanoparticle that are on their clothes and body. The exhibit is to provoke a thought reaction in people about nanotechnology. Nanotechnology release nanoparticles into the environment. Nanoparticles are thought to be a risk to human health. This got me really interested and I actually went back to my room to look up the issues with nanoparticles after experiencing some more of the sensor going off whenever I pass by them.

Overall, the North/South mixer and the particle exhibit were very interesting and I learned something new from both of the event.

Here is a picture I found of the Mixer online.

Picture of Particle Exhibit

Picture of Particle Exhibit

-Joseph Duy Nguyen

7 Responses to “Extra Credit: North/South Mixer and Particle Group Exhibit by Joseph Duy Nguyen”

1. mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …

2. mangafox says:

mangafox…

3. Debra says:

Debra…

Extra Credit: North/South Mixer and Particle Group Exhibit by Joseph Duy Nguyen « DESMA9_sectionC…

4. juegos says:

juegos…

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?…

5. Adrian993 says:

Adrian993…

6. naruto says:

naruto…

[...]Extra Credit: North/South Mixer and Particle Group Exhibit by Joseph Duy Nguyen « DESMA9_sectionC[...]…

7. kizi says:

kiz…

Howdy! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you could have here on this post. I shall be coming back to your blog for more soon….