Week 9_Nanotechnology by Nikolaos Mouchtouris

<!– /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:”"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} –>

The quarter is almost over and finals are coming up soon. So is spring break that will be definitely fun. However, before all that, I would like to blog about nanotechnology! As I was researching for my final project, which was about improving the office environment by installing thousand tiny LCD screens on the walls to display digital scenery, I encountered one more application of nanotechnology. Scientists are trying to use nanomaterials to make big LCD screens because as they say one of the materials used for the production of a liquid crystal screen is indium, which will go extinct in a few years according to a site I was looking at. In addition, until then, its price will increase constantly, thus, it will not be as easy to purchase a nice LCD screen. Nevertheless, when nanomaterials are going to be used for mass-production, then it will be way cheaper to buy one.

Using nanotechnology is really important because it will be the solution for many issues. Even though I initially believed that it was only used for biological purposes, I found out that it can be applied to many things. It will sound cliché but it is the future. However, using nanotechnology requires lots of research and funding because as it is obvious is not easy to work at the nano-level. Specialized scientists have to work extensively in labs to make it happen. A couple days ago, I attended the extra-credit lecture about a researcher from Oregon who talked about their laboratory and what they are working on. I remember him saying that they found an alternative process for a chemical reaction and they actually managed to drop the cost of production from three hundred thousand to five hundred dollars, which is extremely cheap to the initial price.

Moreover, if the cost of production of medicines is decreased because of the use of cheap nanomaterials, then medicines will be enough and affordable by all countries of the world. This is really important because at the moment there are many countries in the world, especially in Africa, where the governments are poor and unable to buy enough medicines to protect their citizens from AIDS or other diseases. These drugs are pretty expensive to make so it is not really easy for the government to simply give out, thus, nanotechnology is the only way these drugs can become cheaper and easier to purchase.

I would like to end my blog with a few words about the class. I am not an art-related major, but I liked how we touched at several big topics because I had never thought of how they interconnect. Being a south campus major, I expect classes to be different, so I was not really fond of the general structure, but the different approach was interesting.

Nick Mouchtouris

12 Responses to “Week 9_Nanotechnology by Nikolaos Mouchtouris”

1. Dublin Carpet Cleaning…

I came across your site while searching google. I really liked what you posted! Thanks for taking the time to write about this topic….

2. URL says:

… [Trackback] …

[...] Informations on that Topic: classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/c/?p=1743 [...] …

3. central michigan inspection services…

Week 9_Nanotechnology by Nikolaos Mouchtouris « DESMA9_sectionC…

4. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …

5. Agen Bola says:

…Additional Information ca be found here…

[...]Nice blog here! Also your website lots up fast![...]…

6. Week 9_Nanotechnology by Nikolaos Mouchtouris …

[...]Wow, fantastic weblog structure! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for?[...]…

7. Maid service sterling va…

8. marketing says:

marketing…

[...]Week 9_Nanotechnology by Nikolaos Mouchtouris « DESMA9_sectionC[...]…

9. neodym würfel…

10. …For further Information click here…

[...] What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate link on your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lolhttp://tagheuer.net.br [...]…

11. …Visitor recommendations…

[...]I am no longer certain the place you’re getting your information, but great topic.http://michaelkors.net.br [...]…

12. …Additional Information ca be found here…

[...]I am not positive where you are getting your info, however good topic.http://tagheuer.net.br [...]…