Week 10|Courtney Kennedy

Nanotechnology!

Nanotechnology is a pretty big topic. When I went to do further research for this blog, I found that nano-tech can be applied in use anywhere from diagnostic medicine to sunscreen, from food packaging to quantum computers. I decided that in this post I would focus more on the topics that I am familiar with, such as the food packaging and body care, as those are things that I am more impressed with when I see the results of nanotechnology. 

For example, there is a way to use nanotechnology to infuse foods and beverages that don’t have many vitamins and minerals with them, but in a way that won’t change how the food tastes or smells. This would be like the better version of the Coke product that has vitamins and minerals in it but tastes like chalk. I don’t really know if this is a great idea for the american consumer, as already there is too much consumption of sodas and other junk foods, and the companies who make these items would undoubtedly be the first ones to jump on this idea in order to make their products seem healthier. However, I think in impoverished countries the application of this technology could be beneficial to the health and well-being of people who currently suffer from malnutrition. If foods like rice and wheat could be given more vitamins and minerals without adding too much extra cost, then there would be a big benefit for these people for their health. 

Another type of nanotechnology in food would be the use of plastic in packaging food that would be able to sense when there was samonella contamination of a product. That way, companies could test very easily if their products were contaminated without going to very great lengths. I think that it is important for this nanotechnology to be in use in American companies especially in light of the recent outbreak of salmonella in peanut butter and other peanut products. With this type of packaging there would not have been the big scare that just happened for peanuts.

Also involved with nanotechnology is the production of lower cost and more easily manufactured solar panels. I think that this would be a great use of nanotechnology if completed because it is now seemingly cost-prohibitive to many people to put solar panels on their homes. If solar panels became less expensive, it would be very good for the progress of solar panels on to more homes in the United States, and all over the world. (Solar Panels)

Additionally, I think it is an interesting idea that Kraft Food’s has with nanotechnology: interactive foods. Somehow, using nanotechnology, Kraft foods wants to make beverages and foods that the person eating them can choose how they taste and their color. I don’t know how this would work exactly, but I don’t really think that I would want to eat it. After all, I already know that processed foods are not really good for me at all, so I think that these foods would not be much better. However, I don’t exactly know what the nutrition facts on this type of food would actually read, so it could be anyone’s guess if they would be good for you or not, and exactly how expensive they would be. (Kraft Foods Article)

8 Responses to “Week 10|Courtney Kennedy”

1. foods says:

foods…

What does and foods mean together?…

2. Dublin Carpet Cleaning…

I came across your site while searching google. I really liked what you posted! Thanks for taking the time to write about this topic….

3. Visitor recommendations…

[...]one of our visitors recently recommended the following website[...]……

4. Online Article……

[...] ….. [...]……

5. Online Article……

[...] ….. [...]……

6. Look there for more:…

[...]you make blogging glance[...]…

7. URL says:

… [Trackback] …

[...] Read More here: classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/c/?p=1722…

8. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …