Week 8_ A New Frontier by Braxton Little

Almost every kid at some point in their life watches a powerful space ship take off, flames thundering out of the engines, and wishes they could be in that space ship, on its way to explore the limits of space. What about this unbounded, dark, and daunting subject interests us so much? I believe that it is the fact that as long as this world has been studying and going to space, we still have barely skimmed the surface of what actually is beyond the Earth’s atmosphere. This fear of the unknown has caused a space race. We do not know what is out there, and therefore strive to be the first ones to discover something that no one else has ever seen or heard of before.
The fact that astounds me the most is the realization that we are just a miniscule part of the actual universe. Earth is a dot in space, a small planet that we just happen to be a part of. The video that we watched in class, showing the Earth as the camera got farther and farther away reminded me that no matter what happens on Earth, the stars and the galaxy surrounding us in unaffected. One of Carl Sagan’s videos,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luAteAz3WQ0&feature=related

expands on this idea, and shows images of the earth in relation to the galaxy. We then also have to remember that we can compare our galaxy in relation to other galaxies, but unfortunately we have not been able to explore that far yet and no pictures have been taken. Many people refuse to believe that anything goes on in other galaxies, dismissing any thought of other life forms. However, for those people interested in exploring the unknown, other forms of life has been a heated topic over the years.
I am also interested in how the lack of knowledge about space and other forms of life has lead to many different speculations regarding just what is out there, and interactions between humans and “aliens.” It has opened the door for any type of theory to be studied before deemed true or false. For example, crop circles have been appearing on large fields for centuries. It is very possible that large groups of humans could make crop circles. However, because people speculate that aliens are making them, and we do not know enough about other forms of life to deny that fact, almost everyone knows that crop circles are associated with aliens. Whether or not it is true, (almost completely false) because no one can explain why aliens would or would not make them, it is common for people to accuse aliens of crop circles.

The same is for UFO’s. These flying objects are considered the way aliens transport themselves around space. Many people, both crazy and sane, have claimed to either have seen UFO’s or have a picture of something in the sky they believe to be one. Thus, whenever someone claims to have seen one, it makes news around the world. This is because we will take any information that we can about space. Whether phony or real, someone will study the picture of the UFO, or the patterns of the crop circles, so see if there is any connection to some sort of other life form. We still cannot confirm or deny the existence of other life forms in space, and these sightings will continue to occur throughout the world.

Professor Vesna also talked about the “space race” that has developed between different countries of the world. Obviously, getting to mars has been a major goal of most space-oriented people, and the first to get there would be admired by all. This desire to learn about the unknown has caused intense competition between countries. I would say that the United States and Russia are the leading the rest of the world in the discovery and learning of space, but who knows these days. While the competition has caused some fighting between the two, it has also opened the door to many research teams, massive funding, and exploration to planets that no one could have imagined. In the end, I believe the space race has helped out world out, and caused people to become very interested in the discovery of space.

All these speculations raise many questions about the future of the Universe.  Will we ever find another form of life? Is it possible that someday a distant planet can be colonized by people who once lived on Earth? Will we ever be able to explore outside of the galaxy?  My list of questions could go on and on.  The unknown is always a difficult subject to dwell on.  Due to the inquisitive attitude of humans, we will always want to know about the unknown, and will continue to pursue knowledge until the end of the Earth.

Abstract

I am not completely sure at this point, but I believe that I am going to expand my midterm project for the final project.  I would like to explore the idea of clones, and how they differ in brainwaves.  I want to create a machine that makes a virtual clone of someone, and explores their emotions through brain waves when confronted with certain images.  I hope that I can connect this to society’s desire to conform and generalize everything.  Showing that as hard we try to make things the same, it is the world’s inevitable path that disorder and differences will occur.  My research will explore brain waves, clones, and evidence supporting the overall increase in disorder of the world, despite our efforts to decrease it.

63 Responses to “Week 8_ A New Frontier by Braxton Little”

1. Poker table says:

Poker table…

Week 8_ A New Frontier by Braxton Little « DESMA9_sectionC…

2. online dating free…

3. Jamel says:

Jamel…

4. best rappers says:

best rappers…

5. Brett says:

Brett…

6. Mariel says:

Mariel…

7. Full Article says:

Full Article…

8. relevant webpage…

9. Kim Kardashian…

10. Priscilla says:

Priscilla…

11. just click the up coming internet page…

12. Alejandro says:

Alejandro…

13. top mesothelioma law firms…