Week 8_Space and Gil Kuno’s works_by Nikolaos Mouchtouris

<!– /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:”"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} –>

If you look up the word space on the dictionary, all the non-scientific definitions given are related to an empty, blank area, where there is nothing going on. Nowadays though, the developing sciences have enabled humans to study the outer space and find out how interesting it is because, even though it seems relatively empty, with a few tiny dots, it is endless and full of unlimited universes. What are we? We are just a tiny grain of sand in a huge world, which we can barely imagine of. The truth is that scientists have achieved to see very far away resulting in public awareness of what exists around us, but in the ancient times and Middle Age, people believed that the earth was flat. What is funny is that we both lived in the same place and saw the same three dimensions, yet only the recent years, we were able to find out that there are ten actual dimensions. Each one results from the folding of the previous one, and the assumption that the previous acts as a point in space, which when connected with a similar one, a new dimension is created. If I remember correctly, the video we saw in class was slightly inaccurate, as according to the M-theory, there are eleven dimensions; this theory unifies and supersedes all of the rest string theories.

I am not going to lie, but all these theories about the dimensions of the universe are very confusing; even though I am a science major, I am not really excited by such theories because they have no real-life application, they do not affect who we are or what we do. I would be interested in something more practical and “visible”. Perhaps, it is easier for an artist to perceive and understand such an abstract scientific theory.

Furthermore, during the last lecture, Gil Kuno, showed us a couple of his works and explained the underlying concept for each of these. During the weekend, I went on his site and looked at other pieces of art he has created. He is a very creative individual with many good ideas, such as the “wailing wall” and the “six sonic strings”, however some other works were rather trivial. For example, the “European Onion” initially seemed ingenious, however, using simple reasoning, you can figure out that unless the museumgoers start sobbing and are covered by a sea of their own tears, their perception will not be altered, thus, being able to clearly see a couple of hanging onions.

Though, his work is totally respectable and I find most of his ideas very interesting. My favorite one is the pogophonic, as he lets the pogo stick compose music. The natural movement of the pogo creates the music, thus making the pogo-er’s skills and technique responsible for the music composed. Even though it becomes slightly annoying after a bit, it is very creative, cool and fun. I feel I appreciate this work more than the rest because it is both applicable to real life, easily understandable, plus it creates art.

Nick Mouchtouris