Week 5_ Midterm by Joseph Duy Nguyen

DESMA 9 class has been a very interesting and strange class for me. It is strange in that the topics do not seem to correlate with each other or have anything to do with a specific subject field. However, after attending five week worth of classes, I have found a relationship between everything discussed in class. This is such an eye-opening class on what art has to offer in conjunction with science.

Class started with the introduction of the two cultures of art and science and how they relate to each other. At first, there doesn’t seem to be much of a relationship between the two. Art and science has always been separated into two fields by most people due to little understanding of art by science people and science by art people. Second week I found myself immersed in the topic of the fourth dimension, third week in the topic of robotics and mechanical reproduction, and fourth week in the topic of human body and medicine. Each topic delved into both the art and science aspect with no bias toward the other. Fourth dimension was thought of as a spatial arrangement by artists and as time by scientists; robotics and mechanical reproduction were used by both artists and scientists; medicine and the human body were explored by both artists and scientists. From the daily readings and lectures, I have come to the conclusion that all of these subject matters discussed each week are related not directly as a subject matter, but indirectly as how they are used by both artists and scientists. Artists and scientists have showed the value of its research and studies to the subject matter. Regardless of what is said of artists or scientists, professionals in both fields are significant to humanity and have many connections with each other. Therefore, it is in the best interest of society to integrate these two cultures into one, in which each is utilized for its strength-art for creativity and science for discovery.

My midterm project is an attempt to create a conceptual design of a structure that needs the input of both artists and scientists that benefits the continuing development of both cultures. Teleportation is currently possible for atoms and light only. Humans are a long way from being able to teleport from one place to another as described in my project. This project ties in with all the topics discussed in class so far. The fourth dimension is not clearly discussed in my project design but the idea of the fourth dimension needs to be utilized for the teleportation of humans. Time and spatial arrangement are a crucial factor to replicate a person to another location. The teleporter, in a way, is a product of mechanical reproduction. Each teleporter is built to be exactly like the other in terms of technology and ability. The knowledge of medicine and human body is needed to complete an exact duplication of a person. Humans are more complex than just a pile of atoms. Therefore, the teleporter has to take into account the genetic as well as the molecular make-up of the human body. The use of teleporters will affect both scientists and artists alike. Scientists would no longer need to find a way to create an automotive engine that does not release carbon dioxide into the air and artists will be able to view and display their art to a wider audience. People will be able to view the original piece of work rather than a copy.

-Joseph Duy Nguyen

3 Responses to “Week 5_ Midterm by Joseph Duy Nguyen”

1. auto insurance quote…

Week 5_ Midterm by Joseph Duy Nguyen « DESMA9_sectionC…

2. car insurance quote…

[...]Week 5_ Midterm by Joseph Duy Nguyen « DESMA9_sectionC[...]…

3. mangafox says:

mangafox…

mangafox,mangahere,mangakong,manga2u,Read your favorite manga online! Hundreds of high-quality free manga for you, with a list being updated daily. Naruto manga, Bleach manga, One Piece manga, Air Gear manga, Claymore manga, Fairy Tail manga, Inuyasha …