Archive for the ‘Week 8 - SPACE’ Category

Week 8_Space and Final Proposal by Joseph Duy Nguyen

Monday, March 2nd, 2009

Space has been referred to by a variety of names- from the final frontier to the celestial heavens. From early history to the present day, space never ceases to amaze and to stir up curiosity in people. One of the main reasons is that it is so vast and undefined in nature that a thorough understanding of it becomes nearly impossible. Another reason for its importance to humans is the thought of another “Earth” existing somewhere out there in space. If space can be described by one word, I would choose limitless.

With space, there are many possibilities as well as many risks. Artists and scientists alike have explored these possibilities and risks through their work. Scientists have succeeded in placing a man on another celestial body besides the Earth-the moon. This was a dream to many before it actually happened. Nowadays, there are even tourists’ excursions outside of Earth’s gravity field, around the moon, and on the International Space Station.

What most likely sparked the huge leap in space exploration is the space race between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. The Space Race has transformed dreams of mankind to reality. Most of the credit goes to scientists. On the other hand, artists have explored the idea of living and interacting with space and its inhabitants for quite some time. It is interesting how many of the artists’ works show rather a dismal result of alien interaction. Many artworks tend to play into the idea of an invasion by Martians. I think many of it has nothing to do with artists portraying their belief but more of the belief of the general public. It is ironic how people are always trying to find life on other planets but then again keep portraying aliens’ interactions in a negative light.

Here are two links to interesting space artworks by artists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFR-Oj6FpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0W8qrlmu6c

One of the issues in regards to space exploration is the problem of space junk. With continuing research and exploration on space, humans have once again become as irresponsible with space as they have with Earth. Humans are increasingly damaging the very environment they live in with all the air, water, and land pollution. But polluting the Earth is not enough for humans. Now there is the problem with having too many man-made junk out there in space. Most of the space trash has to do with discarded or disabled satellites put up into orbit around the Earth by developed nations. I find it very troubling that the agencies that put up those satellites are able to afford the launching of the satellites but do not have enough resource to properly dispose of them. From my perspective, if this keeps up, then the safety of the astronauts will be compromised. Space shuttles will need to avoid satellite debris. I just hope that people will be more responsible especially in the field of space. Below is an artist’s depiction of what it would be like for Earth with all the space trash:

An artist rendering of projected space junks orbiting Earth.

Gil Kuno’s presentation last Thursday during class was somewhat interesting for me. I felt that his projects were not unique enough. I am not an artist or anything like that, but I feel that an artist’s artwork should be a creative piece of work that has not been thought out by others. For example, dropping slinkies down the stairs has been done by many kids. He was just expanding on that idea. On the bright side, some of his other projects were pretty interesting, such as the pogo music artwork.

For my final project, I am proposing to create a new method of travel that puts a lot less stress on people as well as the environment. The new method of travel will use cloning teleportation as the means of travel. There will be a stall where an object of interest, such as a human, will enter. Inside the stall, a laser pulse will initiate the teleportation of the object. The human body will be broken down into subatomic particles for teleportation, and the information describing the observed state of the body will be transmitted to a remote location via the usage of photons. At the destination, an exact replica will be reconstituted and rematerialized using the data sent and the material matter present at the location. The mechanism for the process will most likely be very complex. However, laser pulses will initiate the process. The laser will be driven by a nuclear reaction that generates photons which will be transported to the device to excite the laser. This project involves the understanding of all the topics we discussed in class. This invention may revolutionized society’s lifestyle.

-Joseph Duy Nguyen

Week8_Space by Manuel Aleman

Monday, March 2nd, 2009

Space is composed of the empty spaces in the universe, but there is no clear boundary between Earth’s atmosphere and space because the density of the atmosphere gradually decreases as you go higher in altitude.  Space has always fascinated man, but people did not start research space exploration until the 1950’s.  It began with The Space Race.  The Space Race was a competition to explore space between the United States and the Soviet Union, which lasted from 1957 to 1975.  The Space Race included efforts to explore outer space, to send humans to space, and to land them on the moon.  The Space Race began with the launch of the Soviet satellite, named Sputnik.

Space technology became an important subject because of its potential military applications and the morale-boosting social benefits.  In 1957 the Sputnik was successfully launched by the Soviet Union.  The Sputnik caused fear and caused political debate in the United States because of its military and economic implications.  The United States a huge effort to regain technology supremacy.  Nearly four months after the launching of the Sputnik, the United States launched its first satellite, named Explorer 1.  The bureaucracy and huge expenditures needed to organize space exploration led to the creation of national space agencies.  The United States and Soviet Union only established programs focused only on the scientific and industrial requirements for these efforts.    

While the start of The Space Race can clearly be defined as the launching of the Sputnik, the end of The Space Race is more debatable.  After the Apollo moon landing, scientists turned to new areas of space exploration, such as the Skylab which was to collect data from space, and the Space Shuttle which was intended to return spaceships intact from space journeys.  The Space Race slowed after the Apollo landing.  Most consider the Apollo-Soyuz mission the end of The Space Race.  The Soviet Soyuz 19 met and docked with American’s Apollo.  This allowed the astronauts to pass into each other’s ships and participate in combined experiments.  Russians claimed that by first sending a man into space they had won the unofficial “race”, but Americans claim by first landing a man on the moon they had won. 

Abstract: I was thinking of continuing my midterm’s idea and establishing a small colony on the moon, where replicas of the world’s most famous monuments and skyscrapers would be built.  I still need to think of ideas of how to connect all of the chapters to my idea.

Manuel Aleman

Week 8: Space & Abstract - by Adam Parker

Monday, March 2nd, 2009

I think I can safely say that at least 90% of kids dreamed of being an astronaut and venturing into space. That might be an exaggeration, but I bet a lot of them did. At least that was the case for me. But as I grew up and realized how difficult is was to actually go to space, I gradually changed career fields. Even those people who go through years of training to be an astronaut usually don’t get to go to space. Which is why I chose Plan B: wait till something like Virgin Galactic came around and make enough money to buy a ticket.

If you don’t know already, Virgin Galactic is going to be one of the first companies to offer spaceflight to the public. Now I for one think this is just the start of something incredible. Just like most new things, spaceflight will start out ridiculously expensive. As of now, tickets for the first Virgin Galactic flight are going for a meager $200,000 (I hope they include a free picture of you in space for that price). But down the line, ticket prices will decrease, spaceflight technology will become cheaper, and more spacecrafts will be manufactured. If all goes as planned, we could definitely be looking at spaceports around the world. For now, all Virgin Galactic flights depart from Mojave Spaceport in the Mojave Dessert, CA. In the future, all spaceflights will leave from Spaceport America in New Mexico (picture below).

Virgin Galactic flights and space travel plans are currently being tested with the SpaceShipOne, built and flown in 2004, but future plans reveal that public spaceflight will use the SpaceShipTwo (pictured below).

Now it might just be me, but I think it’s truly awesome that we could realistically be able to buy a ticket to space.  In the future, in addition to going to museums and other normal places, students could actually be taking field trips into space. If you want to learn more about the design of the SpaceShipTwo and the details of how everything would function, check out this Virgin Galactic video:

SpaceShipTwo - Animation

I kind of feel that Virgin Galactic is not getting enough press these days. Maybe it’s because I don’t watch or read the news, but I still feel people should be aware of this impending space venture. The first official public space flight is planned to take place in 2010 and by then I’m sure more people will know about it. For now, Virgin Galactic is sticking with “sub-orbital” space flights, which as far as I know means the flight will not make a full revolution around the earth. In the future, Virgin Galactic will begin manufacturing spacecrafts with the ability to make a full orbit around the Earth. The question is, once spaceflight becomes cheap enough how many other companies will form to compete with Virgin? We won’t know for a while, but it can only mean one thing: progress.

To check out recent Virgin Galactic news and more about the company, their website has tons of useful information:

Virgin Galactic - Home Page

And finally, to get your 200 grand ticket, check out this link:

Reservations

Final Project Proposal:

As of now, I am sticking with my midterm project of building a virtual reality sphere which will digitally take users into space and popular destinations around the world. In my midterm project I went over the basics of the design of the sphere and the user interaction, but I would like to go further in depth with how the user will navigate around the earth and in space. Also, it has come to my attention that more realistic versions of my project exist in places like UC Santa Barbara. I would like to research these similar creations and compare and contrast them to my project ideas.

Final::Abstract by adam marcus

Monday, March 2nd, 2009

111 Word Abstract For Final Project

Using a robotic helmet during routine physical examinations for a large percentage of the tests, doctors will be able to maximize their time and number of patients seen in a single day. Annual physical examinations are one of the best ways to assess one’s health and unfortunately there are many who are not able to get them. This project is intended to show how a better use of time allows for patient check-ups to be quick and direct, which makes patients’ visits stress-free and easy while also letting doctors see more patients than normal. An increase in the number of patients examined would only lead to better global health awareness.

-Adam Marcus

Week 8: Art+ space ~ Rocio Flores

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

After listening to the professor’s lecture on Tuesday it had me inquiry, how space plays a role in art? After a couple of searches on Google I discovered that space plays a key role for many artists, they use it to portray the environment of space to all of us, however space also creates its own art.

Space has been put in the hands of the artist. In my Google search I discovered how space has been put in the hands of many artists and how they utilize it. The art these artists portray is known as Astronomical Art. The artists within in this area of art, portray the environment of space as a new frontier for us humans, they develop images of space such as the aliens world and black holes. The way these artist gather knowledge on how to draw what they desire for science is, they look at the object up close or seek experts in the field. By gathering such information they are able to accentuate the elements they want to portray. These artists use to publish their work before in science fiction magazines, however now their work can now be seen in many astronomy magazines. One of the works is that of Albrecht Altdolfer called battle of issues, this portrayed is one of the first to display the curvature of the earth.

Battle of issus

However space can also be art within itself, as you will see on this YouTube video below. ( Space+ Art) Space itself creates many magnificent images, can be seen through the images gathered from NASA, like nature. Nature holds the golden ratio to define its beauty, while space itself holds gases and many starts that create a serene and magnificent atmosphere to look at. As an environmentalist, I enjoy looking and exploring nature, for example Yosemite. Now having the understanding that beauty is seen in outer space, as portrayed in the video above, I will hold a much greater appreciation for space similar to that that I hold for nature here on earth.

In addition, I would like to add that this class has allowed me to see art in various forms, before I thought art was just painting and I didn’t know that much had to go on before the art piece was completed, such as thinking what is trying to be expressed and how it should be expressed. The guest speaker on Thursday allowed me to enhance my understanding of art through his piece. In his piece he utilized a slinky and a latter to created sound for art, and he did however the end piece also resulted on a second piece of art. His work allowed me to understand that art exists in various forms and can be expressed in various forms, such as in the creation of sound, in space and mathematical science.

Now I also have an understanding why the professor wants us to create a bridge between north and south campus. The reason being is that it wants to create a flow of ideas that make us utilize and experience this world in many different ways.

Abstract:

Decreasing the amount of green house gasses into the atmosphere has had no success for the US. The construction and public display of a carnival promoting the decrease the emission of green house gases, will allow the consumer to experience the harm, done by the emission of green house gases by factories through their smoke stacks, to the surroundings. The project is created to educate the citizens of all ages as well as those, in the industrial business, about the health issues that result with emission of green house gasses, with the desire of an implementation of an enhanced smoke stack design that will lower the emission of green house gasses.

~Rocio Flores

Aliens by Brendan Ryan

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

Space is great; I think the whole world should concentrate more efforts on both going there and putting things in it. It has been pretty well decided by the earth that we have to learn how to live elsewhere eventually and that at some point one of many things is going to go wrong and the earth won’t be as inhabitable. A lot of people believe that aliens already live out there and sometimes come to earth, and that there are flying saucers that zip around earth trying to avoid detection. I have to call shenanigans on this for a couple of reasons, one being that if there really were super intelligent aliens out there, what do they want with us? To ants on the sidewalk, we are all super intelligent beings, but never ever, do I see someone spending time trying to communicate with them. If they are actually awesome enough to do manned space exploration several light-years away then they probably have little interest hanging out with the species who invented edible panties.

The universe is gigantic, and I would say it’s a pretty safe bet that there is a lot of other intelligent life out there. But really, if they are smarter than us, they probably don’t want to meet us and if they are dumber than us then they don’t know how to meet us. John Hodgman gives a presentation wherein he jokes of all the signs that aliens have already come to earth and are currently using us as sex slaves in pyramids somewhere far away.

John Hodgman

Given than everyone is afraid of change it is probably a good thing that aliens don’t come knocking all the time. I mean, it took Europeans like forever just to learn to get along with black people, I cant imagine how long it would take everyone to learn to get along with aliens. There would probably be wars and just a lot of general division if there was ever a formal introduction between aliens and humans, I would recommend we put off the meeting for a long as possible just to be safe.

ABSTRACT

It is well understood that the killer bee is spreading north and will soon invade North America. The killer bee is a man made killer, cooked up in a lab and now this born killer has escaped and spread out of control. Meanwhile the world is losing one third of its bee colonies per year and one third of our food depends on those bees for pollination. We need the bees for survival but a new breed of killers are on their way, we need a method of coexisting. Have you ever seen a movie or show about the future? Why do they all seem to have uniforms in the future? I suggest a color coded and scented uniform that will render all civilians virtually invisible to bees. We can survive right under their noses while they pollinate our crops, at least until the bee population crisis is under control.

Space & SciFi by Oscar Chacon

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

Space is the most enticing subjects of study by many people in a variety of studies. Philosophers of different centuries all attempted to describe space and explain its nature. Our more modern mathematicians tried more logical expressions through non-Euclidean geometries. More than all of this the most interesting representations of space have always resided in science fiction where laws of physics where bent and manipulated to produce a more dynamic plot. Space in popular culture has brought about a huge amount of change for the world in perspective, and scientific advancements. The glorification of different media such as science fiction novels, movies, and comics brought about full support during the space race. Although, liveliness of the support between everyone was once huge in today’s time of where everything is to be done quickly and efficiently.

Star Trek and Star Wars with along several science fiction novels, I believe, caused people to have a strong enthusiasm for progression in space exploration. Although it is well understood that science fiction is more than unreal but very farfetched, people fail to attain that sort of perspective. This creates a lack of interest in a more realistic exploration of space that requires time, tremendous amount of hard work, and strong dedication. This is especially true in young people of this generation that expect space exploration to be much more advanced than it is now, or just want to break the rules of physics. Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin Jr. describes this predicament very clear to SCI FI Wire about the lack of interest in real space travel. He explains that, “All the shows where they beam people around and things like that have made young people think that that is what the space program should be doing. It’s not realistic.” This argument has its point but it is arguably more applicable to commercial technology that promotes a sort of promise from all sciences that things are done quickly and efficiently.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=57491

Although if it was not for science fiction much of our technology would not be in existences or the full-fledged support for space exploration. Science fiction has its place as a strong inspiring tool among the general public. Star Trek had a huge impact in creating several technologies such as the cell phone, even progressed the firs inter-racial relationship on television, and the future might have another Star Trek inspired innovation for space travel (cross your fingers for hyperdrive).

Star Wars has inspired the beginning of the imperialistic drive in spatial exploration in bringing people and nation’s to question who is the first to achieve the many firsts of space exploration. Star Wars’ plot elaborates on the idea of an empire that controls the galaxy which is disturbing to say the least by or scale of insignificant bitter quarrels among one another.

Science Fiction has really helped promote the advancement of technology and support for space exploration. As for future science fiction inspired innovations for space travel we will have to wait. More importantly, I think when considering our motivation for space exploration and a potential imperialistic fututre we must consider, as described by Carl Sagan, our only, “Pale Blue Dot.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

- Oscar Chacon

Final Abstract_by Nikolaos Mouchtouris

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

<!– /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:”MS Gothic”; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:”MS ゴシック”; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:”\@MS Gothic”; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:”"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} –>           This project, based on industrial aesthetics, combines technology and art to introduce an improved office environment,  whose goal is to help office workers find the place they spend most of their day more interesting and comfortable. This project is built in order to cover the employees’ need for tranquility and vivacity at work. This is achieved through the use of LCD technology; a digital scenery is displayed on the office walls which are made of numerous small LCD screens. Using this method, a model office, which has a tropical forest as a scenery, is designed. By the end of this project, it becomes clear that if this technology is mass-produced, then office workers will not dislike their job, but eventually become more productive and efficient.

Nick Mouchtouris

Week 8 - Space, by Jonathan Diamond

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

Space, the final frontier, has baffled even humanity’s most brilliant minds, for the entirety of history.  From ancient times, to the present, there have always been, and will always be things that will remain a mystery.  One of the things that I find particularly ridiculous is just how large the universe truly is.  Granted, there is a debate about whether the universe is expanding, contracting, decelerating, or whatever else, but as it stands, the Universe is currently 78 billion light years across.  That is that is 78 billion years of something moving at the speed of light (ridiculous).  This video describes how this fact was discovered (in 1995): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__Q5ZMsOqQ [Oh and just a warning… in the middle of the movie there is a rather rotund fellow who decides to dance, nevertheless it is very informative].   Due to the immensity of the universe, even light, the fastest moving “thing” takes significant periods of time to arrive at different destinations.  The energy in the sunlight we see today started out in the core of the Sun 30,000 years ago— it spent most of this time passing through the dense atoms that make up the sun, then once it clears the solar atmosphere it takes 8 minutes to reach us.  This also brings up another interesting notion.  We really have no idea what is occurring throughout the universe, even if we “think” we are taking pictures of the universe around us.  The light (or the things the lights bounces off of) that we see (i.e. the sun, stars, planets, galaxies, etc.) are actually billions of years old.  If the sun were to explode, we would not know for a whole 8 minutes.  Thus, when we look at distant stars, and their respective planets, not seeing life does not mean life does not now exist.  It took us mere two billion [or less] years to evolve—the light and images we see can be tens of billions of years old.  Carl Sagan speaks of this idea—the notion that life doesn’t exist is almost ignorant to hypothesize.  I personally agree with Sagan, I think the idea that we are alone in the universe is almost idiotic.

On an unrelated topic, I found the movie shown about the ten dimensions absolutely fascinating.   I have been interested in dimension defining, string theory, M-theory, etc. for quite some time, however I have never seen a film that depicts that so succinctly illustrates the difference between dimensions.  Another film I find interesting is another youtube video about M-theory (the most recent strong theory development.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FV9aaiwKQ&feature=PlayList&p=5E10896E619BF48F&index=0&playnext=1.  Of all the theories presented, this one is seriously mind blowing. 

Project proposal – Abstract:

The purpose of the project is simply to educate participants regarding the truth surrounding psychedelic drugs— attempting to eliminate existing societal dysphemisms making the mere notion of a drug taboo.  The project will be a twofold experience.  The first phase will help participants understand the background/history to psychedelics, the true bodily/mental impacts after use, the simple impartial reasons why intelligent individuals use these commodities, and lastly why society currently shuns the use of these commodities.  The second phase will involve participants in a three part three-dimensional visualization experience of three of the primary reasons/effects of psychedelic drug use, further solidifying the legitimacy of psychedelics.  These three effects are: Ego loss, synesthesia, and blind connection between people.

By, Jonathan Diamond

Week 8: Space and Heaven. (And project proposal) by selenni cisneros

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

When I was younger, my mom used to convince me to behave myself by telling me “Si no te comportas, Dios va ha saver, y no vaz ha ir al Cielo.” In other words, she’d say, “Behave yourself, or God will know, and you won’t get into Heaven.” Once she said this, I’d turn into an angel and behave the best I could. I wanted to go to Heaven. Then, I’d look up at the sky, see the white clouds, think, “There is Heaven…” and wonder what it looked like. I really believed Heaven was in the sky. As I grew older, and became more skeptical of Heaven, I learned that scientifically, there can’t be a Heaven in the sky. Then I thought, maybe Heaven is higher than the sky. But then I thought again… And realized there can’t be a Heaven in space. After that, I became fascinated with outerspace. The stars, the moon, our planets, the sun, the galaxy, the Milky Way, it all just caught my eye. Thinking about it it all just makes me feel so small. It makes me wonder what life really is, and whether other types of life exist out there. Just like the Simpsons movie we watched in class, wondering these things make me feel so small. Comparing my life to all the space that is in space, makes me feel like a spec. Going back to the space and Heaven idea, I Googled “Space and Heaven.” A few different articles appeared, but a specific one caught my eye. The title of this article is “Dark Sky Movement: Fighting to Save Our View of Heaven.” It presented in Space.com, and talks about the sky and Los Angeles. The article begins by saying how celestial stars are rare in here, and it is more common to stumble upon a famous movie star than a celestial star. According to the article, if you stand outside of Griffith Observatory, you will see a gleaming in the sky, but it will most likely be a jet or a helicopter in the sky making the gleam. Not only this, but a few miles away, at the Mount Wilson Observatory, the sight isn’t much better. Although is is a major observatory, it is highly light-polluted. But, as long as there are artifical lights, there will light polluting our space. According to Dr. Tim Hunter, co-founder of the International Dark-Sky Association, this pollution is worse than ever. The IDA is a group whose sole purpose is to decrease and better light pollution in order to preserve the nocturnal enviroment, and save our views of the beautiful and Heavenly night sky and space. And according to the website, you can view the areas where light pollution is the most abundant. (I have attached the photo below.) But, this problem can be bettered and decreased. You yourself can help as well. Only use light when you need it! Turn off the lights if you leave the room, for example. While this small effort can help, others are helping majorly. Sallie Baliunas helped to lobby a plan to light up an entire bridge measuring longer than a mile in Los Angeles. If this bridge had been lit as planned, it would have lit up a large portion of the sky, not allowing it to be viewed by astronomers as well as the entire public. This problem is ongoing, but remember, every little bit helps. So next time, turn off that light and help!

By selenni cisneros

Project Proposal:

After the creation of the online website titled “Antiplastic.com,”  I will create an exhibition dedicated to protest plastic surgery, in order to continue the efforts of the website and take those efforts to the next level, and perhaps a more effective level. The exhibition will travel the world, mainly showing in cities with high rates of surgical cosmetic surgery. The exhibition will showcase extremely and drastically life-like creations of human bodies who have undergone plastic surgery and obtained an unhealthy, unnatural outcome. While the exposition will display simple plastic surgery errors, it will also show extreme errors, as well as examples of where plastic surgery has gone too far. This exhibition will be titled “The Plastic World.” Audiences will be able to physically and personally view replicas of human bodies that have been modified horribly by plastic surgery, all in one room, at one single time, and in 3-D.

By selenni cisneros