Archive for the ‘Week 5_review and midterm’ Category

Week 5_ Putting It All Together by Sarah Lechner

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

When I sat down for my first lecture in Art, Science, and Technology, I wasn’t exactly sure how these three topics were going to relate.  I obviously knew that technology was used to make films and kinetic sculptures, but I hadn’t really thought any further than that.  It was really interesting to look further into the science versus art debate that has been going on for decades.  I found it especially fascinating that the same debate takes place right at UCLA: north campus versus south campus.  As the lectures went on, it was inspiring to see the amazing creations that came out of a collaboration between these two disciplines.  And technology, science and art are not only connected on the obvious surface level, but also by a long history of this debate and collaboration.  For instance, the industrial revolution signified an era of feuding between technology and art.  The industrialists were pushing for reproducibility and similarity in order to accomplish mass production.  This was the time period of standardization and interchangeable parts.  The artists, however, were still fighting for originality.  This resulted in works like that of Walter Benjamin.  Once this era was over, I think that a more harmonic collaboration developed between art, science, and technology.  We saw this progression when reading Douglas Davis.  As the years go by, this relationship appears to be strengthening.  Art has begun to welcome robotics, mathematics, and other technologies with open arms.  When walking through a modern art museum, it is not at all uncommon to see exhibits animated by robotics or pieces utilizing technology.  In fact, art seems to be moving swiftly towards a technological end; well actually, we could consider art moving towards a new beginning.  Cutting edge technology has the ability to have a huge impact on art and the way we view it.  Already, new types of art are being developed with each passing year.  The span of possibilities are becoming endless.  And not only does technology allow artists to use their creativity in new ways, but it also allows the public easier viewing access.  No longer do we have to travel to Italy to see fine art, but we can simply search for it online.  Although Walter Benjamin would probably find this preposterous (because it seemingly diminishes the “aura” of artwork), I must disagree.  Making art widely available doesn’t diminish its aura, but actually increases the original piece’s worth.

In my midterm project, I used art to highlight a pressing world issue: our desperate need for alternative energy sources.  We are currently extremely dependent on fossil fuels, which are quickly dwindling.  I proposed building a very large scale renewable energy “garden” consisting of wind mills and solar panels.  However, the wind mills will resemble giant flowers, with the blades equivalent to the petals and the base equivalent to the stem.  The solar panels will be found imbedded in various sculptures, such as giant, colorful butterflies, dragonflies, and bumble bees.  This project has artistic, scientific, and technologic elements.  The art is found in the sculptures and the design of the windmills.  The science is found in the use of renewable energy sources.  The technology is found in the generation of power from these sources.  The artistic element of the garden would help draw attention to our increasing need for alternative energy sources in a new and creative way.

–Sarah Lecher

Art, Science, and Technology by Tung X. Dao

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Weeks one through four examined the unity of art, science, and technology. It started out with arguments for and against whether the trinity was a unified matter. Quotes such as Buckminster Fuller’s quotation, “The further art advances the closer it approaches science, the further science advances the closer it approaches art”, show that they are completely interrelated, while also implying that one is the misnomer of the other. C. P. Snow showed the abyss between the two and how each side pits itself against the other. This is unfortunate since more can be accomplished when the two work together as one. And indeed, the two are related since the dawn of time. Scientific findings enabled artists to venture into new genres, while artists used their creativity to find new sciences. Perspective drawing was developed only within the last thousand years. Its development was simultaneous with many other scientific findings and artistic flourish around the time we know as the Renaissance. Perspective, while a predominantly artistic term, can be explained with mathematics, which can be used to explain other art concepts such as the proportion (golden ratio). Similarly, the theory set for music has been developed to a near scientific form. Just about every form and aspect of music can be explained through the use of music theory as it is taught in school. With the industrialization of society, new issues arise that deal with the relationship between art and science. It may appear that robotics and computers have progressed science far beyond the time of art, but that is not the case. When we think of art, we tend to think of the art that has been solidified in us through the generations, such as Bach, Rembrandt, and Shakespeare. However, artists such as Orlan and Stelarc have utilized what science makes available and still preserves the unity of art and science. Orlan, for instance, uses her own body as a canvas by modifying it into something new using medical operations. It may seem often that art follows science, but take plastic surgery for example. People desire to make their bodies more beautiful as a painter makes a canvas colorful and pleasing. One can argue that this need gave rise to the development of the surgical operations. So no matter what, it seems, art and science are always operating as one fluid flow in our society. We have only separated it because a long time ago, we did not have a deep enough the understanding of our world to call it one.

Photography involves more than just having “the eye”. To truly appreciate the art form, one must understand the scientific and technological principles behind its operation. Focal length is explained by geometry and angles. Film is explained by chemistry. Optics is explained by physics. The camera itself is explained by engineering. When all of the concepts that explain why the process of photography is understood, it is then possible to create new art forms very easily. For instance, an understanding in the chemistry behind film development is important in cross process photography where one kind of film is developed with a process designed for a different type of film. The results are quite interesting, but more importantly, they can be explained. Photography also shows an example of science following art. By understanding the principles behind photography, doctors who perform x-rays can make use of those principles such as composition and exposure to gather the most data while minimizing the exposure to the patient. Developments such as these show how art and science are definitely interrelated to each other, from the past, to now, and for eternity.

Tung X. Dao

The Midpoint by Sagar Mehta 1C

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The last few weeks of the class, I have learned so much about the world of art and science. The intricate ties of the two subjects and their more detailed fields seem to me to have a profound effect on the artists and modern thinkers of today. The mathematical perspectives and the new ways of actually doing math such as fractal geometry and also the applications of such new and advanced math has helped to lead us into a new technological frontier which in turn pushes the boundaries of modern art. Stelarc with his robotic models and his third arm piece had the ability to influence modern designers and force them to think about applications aside those that we usually tend to consider. The robotics of the future from Hollywood and science fiction depicts them as either enemies of the human species or as our obedient servants. Considering our current rate of expansion of the technology we have that may be a possibility and the fact that artists have been using robotics in their art for many years. The human form also used in many robotics and artistic works all over the world. Medicine in its many forms has integrated science as well as art forms such as dance and song. Many ancient tribes still use medicine men that set up rituals within the tribe to ward off the disease and along with the creative ceremonies the herbs and plants they would use have actually scientific and medicinal value.

After enrolling into this class I had no idea what to expect but now at the midpoint of the quarter I can see that we deal with very cutting edge subjects such as robotics, space, and modern medicine. Professor Vesna has helped me to realize that even movies I had previously seen and enjoyed such as Blade Runner are more than sci-fi thrillers but that they actually delve deeper into the very topics we cover in class. When thinking and planning an idea for my midterm project I knew that I wanted to do something that interested me greatly. As it turned out modern advances in robotics as well as increased computer processing power and better medicine led me to robotic surgery.

My project attempts to bring robotics, medicine, and a little bit of a different perspective all into one application that has many diverse possibilities. The three dimensional robotic surgeon intertwines the best of several different yet interrelated subjects and attempts to help to heal those who are ill. Many modern advancements tremendously aid in surgical operations but none that can compete with a more detailed view of the patient as well as more steady and dexterous hands. I like to view what surgeons do every day as an art form in and of itself because of the intricate relation they have with the human body. The details of the human form have intrigued scientists and artists since we could think, and I think that my project could bring that status of thought to a entirely new level.

Sagar Mehta

Disc 1C

Influences and possibilities by Angelica Merida

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Art, science, and technology have had a long tangled affair which until now, has been ignored by many. Many have failed to realize the influence art has on science and vice versa. However, Prof. Vesna’s article on the emergence of a third culture in which both artists and scientists acknowledge and embrace interaction between both worlds does bring into light society’s progressing thought about the two cultures. Mathematical thought altered the way artist thought about perspective on a two dimensional surface and discovered the perspective drawing as well as the vanishing point. This completely altered the way artists painted and sketched. Likewise, mathematics also led the way into the idea of dimensionality in art and influenced artists like Maurits Escher. Art has also found it’s way of influencing science. Metropolis, a 1927 film directed by Fritz Lang, incorporate the existence of a “metal” man, that is robots, much earlier than science started creating actual robots. Art has again taken the robot and altered it. Films like A.I. and Blade Runner have posed the notion that should robots get far advanced enough to imitate humans, could there be a point where humans cannot tell the difference between robot and human? Moreover they also paint the future as a dystopian society should people allow their lives to be dominated by computers and robotics. Even the human body has made a vast impact on both cultures. Both have had a intense fascination with the human body since before Da Vinci. In modern times, we see medicine like plastic surgery, originally intended to help victims of disfiguring injuries, now being used to help people achieve their ideal of aesthetic beauty. Likewise, the body has been transformed into a canvas as well with people submitting themselves to scarification, tattooing, piercings among others methods of body modification in an effort to express individuality, artistic and political views, and sometimes simply to look “cool”.

My project has fallen more on the basis of allowing people to experience what technology can do for them. Allow for the possibility of better human efficiency and multitasking. I’m interested in learning the possible ways of integrating the new technology of multi-touch screen computers. We have seen their integration in the Mp3 industry, I want to expand this and bring it to a large scene where we could make it a whole body and mind experience. I want it to be a versatile experience which can range from helping student research and study, to being an entertainment centre, to even a place to let one’s creative side take flight. In other words, through the use of this new technology, create different hyper realities in one single space. More than anything, I want users of this room to let their mind soar, allow them to find and create new experience with the help of innovative technology. My project is not about creating new technology nor is it to research the possible ways of interacting with technology. I seek to rather integrate technology and computers into our current lifestyle which is very much about successful multitasking. I want to create a versatile space that is no longer for a singular use, but rather multiple uses, multiple hyperspaces with a physical space so to speak. This could possibly be successful in not only making us more efficient, but could also make way for other artists to interpret and use this technology in a new and innovative ways.

5th week Midterm blog - Rocio Flores

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

As I was studying for my Chemistry midterm this weekend, I reached and Epiphany. You may ask what this Epiphany is. It is simply, that I was able to finally able to analyze how critical chemistry in our daily lives. Everything we consume and surround us, involve the power of chemistry from light, to our daily energy busters, food. This Epiphany has allowed me to realize how and why the two distinct cultures, the humanities and the sciences, are not seen as cohesive culture rather as separate distinct identities, when they should for they play a key role to help our universe function.

The three topics, we examined math, perspective and time and space during the second week of school allow us to analyze why it is so critical to perceive the two culture as one. Math is used in nature; it allows for a critical analysis of its beauty, relating to the golden ration. Mathematics in this example allows for the exposition of natures beauty but it also plays a key role in displaying the arts. The Vanishing point, fist used by Brunelleschi, allows for the usage of math in art. However math isn’t the only one that plays a key role in the arts, but also the Sciences. Some artist like Duccio focused on time and space in their works. As you can see Math and sciences are key parts in the arts however without art, math and science wouldn’t be able to expand. For they depend on art to better explain their significance to the world, done so through the arts.

The subjects we analyzed during class third week explain the indebt significant to why the two cultures should form one, in addition relate to what we learned in second week. The technological advances made in today’s world all involve the scientific inquiry and the arts design, one cannot function without another. For example robots are built with scientific inquiry however in order to create a appealing robot then the arts enter to create a design that will cover all the wires and metal that were used to create the robot, making it beautiful. However the arts also play a key role of displaying the robot and they do so through the film, as seen in various movies, I ROBOT.

Finally what we discussed in lecture forth week ties all that we learned from first week to forth week; however it is done in the Medical field. Math, Sciences and technology play a key role in the medical advances of today. For example the use of robot is imperative for operations for example in the altering of one’s appearance or in improving ones health. When one alters ones appearance that is identified as art, for one is changing ones appearance. During class we examined several artists who were operated to alter their body appearance.

You may ask how all that we have learned relates to my project. The answer is simple. My project that deals with the emission of Co2, which involves nature and nature, is based on math. To inform the customer of the dangers of the increase emission of Co2, I used technology and arts inform of media. I did so by creating an interactive, in which the customer will be educate. Without either the art or the technology my project would be flat meaning there wouldn’t be any form to either educate the participant or bring attention to the importance of the emission of CO2 which leads to global warming.

Art science and technology play a key role in our environment thus should be seen as one, not divided.

~Rocio Flores

Week 5 Blog: It’s a Closed Circuit by Sara Captain

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Most people classify music as a form of art. However, anyone who really knows how to play music knows that music is really a form of science, which can be touched up but not entirely created by art. Just like it takes a combination of genetics and environment to dispose a person to a certain state of existence, it takes a combination of science and art to dispose a creation to a certain state of existence as well. Whether that state of existence involves a disease or a strong immune system, or public disapproval or widespread recognition, does not depend on either one or the other factor alone.
This reality is, in my opinion, the main precept of the topics covered in class thus far. Beginning with the essay The Two Cultures by C. P. Snow, this fact began by being blatantly stated to being increasingly proven by examples such as the music video, All is Full of Love by Bjork. However, all these works of art and science led me to my own conclusion about human intelligence; there are two kinds. First, there is the attempt to be more mechanized and robotic, like a computer. The people who succeed in this area tend to have an incredible ability to memorize, to concentrate, and to follow. A fellow classmate of mine in Section D blogged about Moura, and the Section D TA spoke about how Moura’s art was about results. Rembrandt, on the other hand, is not so much about results as he is about process. The second kind of intelligence, exemplified by genius such as Rembrandt, succeed at being more original and creative, like a computer programmer rather than the computer itself. These people have a great ability to analyze, dream, and lead. The common characteristic that people who succeed at either one or the other type of intelligence share is the ability to impress others, and both are labeled as genius.

Another leading theme among all the topics covered in class is that of utility. There can be so much more to Art and Science than just a production of enjoyment; Art and Science can be a tool, a useful means by which a person can spread his or her beliefs and doubts, gain access to information more conveniently, and in general live easier. For example, a part of the documentary, The Corporation, was shown in class on January 13th. This video is a stunning example of how Art and Science combined can serve an important purpose other than enjoyment; The Corporation synthesizes music, screenplay, film, information, and statistics in order to entertain, inform, and win the viewer over to a position that is not favorable to the mainstream American corporate world. The video is a conglomeration of technique, method, and creativity that exemplifies how purposeful such a mixture of Art and Science can become.
My personal research project on the art of writing is my own attempt to join this scientific and artistic community. I utilized my knowledge of chemistry to draw an analogy, and my goal was to define writing in terms of chemistry. However, since the project itself is composed primarily of words, I am really using writing to define Chemistry to define writing, thus creating a project which essentially entangles the Art with the Science aspect of it endlessly. The project is like a circuit in itself, and it is difficult to tell where it begins and where it ends because it only goes round and round from science to art from science to art, over and over. I want viewers to question whether my project is a work of Art or a demonstration of Science, only to find that it is neither one nor the other.

Week 5_ Midterm Blog By Braxton Little

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

When I think about my knowledge of art from the first Desma class to now, it amazes me how much I have learned and how many new concepts I have been introduced to. I used to view art as a one-dimensional subject, consisting of a piece of artwork, and an artist. Now, I have grown accustomed to the vast realm of art, consisting of expression and innovation that I never thought about before this class. It seems as if this class has explored different aspects of art each week, showing the artistic similarities between them that most people would not expect. I never expected medicine to be connected to art, but now that I was confronted with that idea, there are so many similarities and ways in which medicine is a form of art. With the four weeks of learning and topics that we have had, one similarity that stands out to me the most is that art is a form of expression. Whether you are a medical doctor, engineer, writer, or athlete, the ways in which you express yourself and release your emotions is art. Art does not have to consist of a canvas, or paintbrushes. Rather, it can include clothing, inventions, and literature. Here are three forms of art that are all connected because they are forms of expression. Before this class, I would have viewed them all separately, and missed the fact that each one is art.

I think that our society has become so accustomed to art being a painting or sculpture because many of the most publicized works are paintings that go in the prestigious museums. When this is the form of art that we are constantly hearing of, it is easy for people’s idea of what art is to get blurry. However, when I think of art as any form of expression, I see the art that is produced everyday that goes unnoticed. If there is one thing that I would take from this class, it would be my new understanding of art, and the appreciation that I know have for all the different professions that include expression.
The second way in which each topic discussed is related is progression. The four topics each show how art has developed over the past centuries, and how it has expanded to where it is today through freedom of expression. The subjects we discussed are ones in which have been developed fairly recently, and are still being developed. The reason they are around today is because people have been confident enough to follow through with their ideas, and help society progress as a whole.
My presentation deals with temperature and its connection to mood/emotions, and also color and its connection with emotion. I wanted to create an exhibit in which people’s exact emotions would become visible through various colors. I believe this relates to the topics discussed in all the lectures because my project shows how the blend of art and science can lead to a third culture, in which combining them both allows both art and science to progress. My project takes scientific discoveries that have been studied and proven, and combines them with colors that appeal visually to the people viewing my project. This combination confronts people with the idea that art and science can become one, because both are forms of expression in which the final product is meant to be enjoyed by all. Also, in the way that each new week brought about a new aspect of art, my project is a piece of art that rather than being entirely unique, combines different idea from each week discussed. From week one, it blends art and science as discussed above. From week two, it shows how mathematics can be used to create art because certain temperatures have to be measured and matched with emotions that are generally linked with those temperatures. From week three, my project shows how the technological age has helped artwork progress, because a computer is used to convert some of the information obtained into colors that are viewed by the visitors, and like week four, my project explores aspects of the body and shows how they can be linked with art, because I linked temperatures with colors, to make a visible aspect of emotion.
-Braxton Little

Week 5_Midterm Blog by Dalton Abbott

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Part 1: The topics of the lectures from the first half of class, though very different in nature and in practice, can be intertwined in many ways. The foundation of this class appears to be the discovery and appreciation of the artistic side of mathematics, science, and technology. These different fields are brought together not only by the intellectual prowess required to fully partake in meaningful research and discovery, but by the creativity and free-thinking that one may initially think would apply more reasonably to an artist. The one main distinction between my previous attitude toward the separation between art and science and my attitude now is that I truly do not believe the two fields of interest require two separate schools of though. They obviously each require a large amount of specialized knowledge, but I no longer think that the thought processes employed by each of the two fields differ greatly. They both rely heavily on innovative, original thought and they both attempt to approach common techniques and problems in unique ways.

The four different topics we have covered so far in class overlap on a variety of planes. As an example, the use of robotics has become increasingly prevalent in mathematics, as robotic surgical methods can perform with a precision that humans are unable to match. This is just a single exhibit of the interconnectedness of mathematics, robotics, and medicine.

Part 2:

I’ve managed to incorporate many of the ideas presented in lecture, discussion, blogs in my project, which focuses on mapping the human brain to accurately gauge emotional reaction types and genres of film, as well as analyzing the subject’s mood before and after the procedure takes place. This study would allow for a greater understanding of the profound effects of film on human emotions, potentially revolutionizing the film industry on a global scale. My project applies the use of extremely advanced technology, as the most precise way to accurately map the emotional responses requires a functional magnetic resonance test (fMRI), which means that the subject must lay down and be placed into a machine similar to the one pictured below.

Aside from the robotics utilized in this procedure, it is still considered a medical procedure. Results are interpreted through a series of charts that show the concentration of blood in certain parts of the brain. The highly specific nature of the study requires it to rely heavily on robotics, medicine, and mathematics. In terms of relating art and science, this is essentially the foundation of the project as a whole. The goal of the study is to gain an accurate understanding of the emotional reactions elicited by film. It attempts to quantify a form of art in order to more fully understand the art. I believe that one is naive to assume that film can only be understood through personal interpretation and reflection, and my project reflects my attitude in that it attempts to break down the true power of film in a way never before attempted. I’ve tried to create a situation in which film can be seen in a new light and therefore be relevant to society’s interests in a way that far exceeds its’ previous role in society, further bridging the much exaggerated gap between art and science.

- Dalton Abbott

Week 5 - Review by Jane Chen

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The fundamental concept in this class is the divide between science and art, or the lack thereof.  From the most basic standpoint, there is no doubt that the two cultures coexist with each other.  In fact, they are inter-dependent.  Without art, science will simply become a vast, incomprehensible space.  Similarly, many achievements in art could not have been accomplished without science and math.  In that sense, many forms of art have evolved from the perspective of math and science.  For example, many architectural creations, although highly creative, still require meticulous mathematical computations and physics.  At the same time, an understanding of the fourth dimension in art and science was achieved through a combination of the two cultures.  On a more applicable level, many inventions were pioneered during the Industrial Revolution in the 18th century, much of which relied on artistic ability as well as advances in math and science.  Although many of the new inventions in this era appeared largely scientific in nature, creativity was still required to develop the ideas and execute them to work in society.  As science progressed and advance further throughout the years, knowledge and understanding of the human body increased.  Consequently, many art forms relating to the human body also evolved.  At the most extreme level, plastic surgery as a form of art became one of the most innovative and daring mediums in the art world.  French artist Orlan took the field of cosmetic surgery to a whole new level, choosing to use her own body as the medium and trying to shape her image into a painted beauty through a combination of the features of some of the most beautiful women ever painted.  In a sense, all the concepts and innovations covered in class thusfar have further proved the mutual relationship between science and art.

To start back at the beginning, the innovations presented in class have failed to point out the most important quality needed to understand these ideas: the need for vision.  Without the ability to see, our understanding of art and science would be greatly hindered.  Although one may argue that Beethoven was still able to compose music while he was deaf, it is important to note that he had developed a thorough understanding of music before his deafness.  Therefore, even though his hearing was eliminated, he was able to use his memory to recall the musical notes and still compose musical masterpieces through memory.  Since humans rely largely on visual associations for learning and memory, the lack of vision would impair the learning process, even restricting the amount of knowledge that can be made useful to the learner.  With that in mind, the purpose of this project was to increase public awareness of the physical properties of vision, how the mechanisms in the brain work in making the seeing process a reality, as well as present information on some common eye diseases and how they affect vision on a daily basis.  By using technology to present information and simulate macular degeneration, a common eye disease, and putting participants in an artistic environment, visitors will be able to experience different sides of visual and audio art.  The goal of this experience is to experience how individuals with eye diseases need to cope with their vision impairment in daily life and how their enjoyment of visual art is affect by their vision disorder.

by Jane Chen

Week 5 - REVIEW, by Jonathan Diamond

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The fundamental notion that is presented in nearly every facet of this class is simply this: there exist two seemingly different agents of culture, art and science—however when these two components are investigated, it becomes obvious that they are in fact part of the same culture.  To be honest, I will admit my skepticism in the matter.  I have always rationalized that when artists, literary analysts, or scientists try to relate their professions to the “opposing’ culture, they do so to complicate matters—to make it appear as if they are in fact doing something more complex and worthwhile that is actually so.  And, as I spoke about in my blog last week regarding the relation between art and medicine, I consider myself an extremely optimistic, open minded person, yet certain ideas of this interdisciplinary relation seem to pass a threshold where even the most devout optimists must raise an eyebrow.  But because of my optimism I decided to dig deeper.  Low and behold I came across an interesting article.  The article interviewed the chief editor of a medical magazine where the doctor spoke beautifully about the similarities regarding science and medicine.  So much so that, I now feel ashamed for previously asserting such ignorant notions (skepticism of interdisciplinary relations).  Nevertheless, I will admit to my injustice and move on from this point.  Throughout the class many different areas of science have been related to the art.  Or rather, through the use of artistic strategies, the power of aesthetics can be harnessed and applied to science to grasp an audience.  In week two, we spoke at length about mathematics, perspective, and the ideas of time space.  The unfortunately truth of the matter is that much of the population cannot and will not understand the full extent of the subjects.  However, this is not so when scientists and theorizers delve into the realm of art to express their ideas.  Explaining string theory, or the differences between the third, fourth, and fifth dimensions to an uneducated or even an educated individual who specialized in non-science related studies, would prove almost impossible using only words and equations.  However, when the sheer power of art and corporeal aesthetics are employed, everyone has an equal chance to experience the ideas being presented.

This idea of exploiting the power of aesthetics to present an extremely important idea that normally would be brush over is the underlying idea of my project proposal.  The intent of the project is to educate the general population about exercise—taking the guess work out of what people should and should not do to achieve their goals.  However, if you saw an advertisement saying, “Learn how to exercise efficiently, to maximize results!” you presumably would not even pause to glace over the material.  My potential exhibit, “Tearing Tissue”, would apply the theory behind exercise to each individual, showing in a physical visual way, how their personal anatomical structure would best be exercised.  Through the three-dimensional MRI mapping of the biceps and triceps, a computerized rendering of the soft tissue in the arm would be produced.  Participants would then be able to utilize a motion tracking curling machine, linked to the computerized rendering, showing an estimated real time status of the muscles in the participants’ arm.  Then the computer would indicate what motion would maximize muscle micro tearing, leading to the optimized building.  The way I envision this project appearing, however, is the most important part (i.e. the application of art).  This exhibit would be presented in a very large square room/warehouse.  The room would be dark except for the areas where the machines lie.  An emphasis would be pushed on the importance of the exhibit by the sheer size and appearance of each of the objects being utilized.  In the second to last stage of the project, I have a screen hooked up to the curling machine to indicate a real time rendering of the innards of the participants arm— in this area, colors/lights, sounds/music would change as different actions are done on the exercise machine.  In addition, the screen itself would be at large enough to create an image at least 25 to 50 times larger than life size.  Each of these different artistic specifications would be done to capture the audience and exploiting each of their senses in ways that they consciously are unaware of.  Although the arm is chosen for simplicity’s sake, this general project idea could be applied to any muscle group, and if enough funds are attained, an exhibit could be set up where different muscle groups are analyzed in similar ways.  Pushing this idea even further, this form of conveying information could be applied to trainers or personal therapists when helping their respective clients.  Thus, this idea of infusing art with different professions expands even further.

by, Jonathan Diamond - Section 1C