Week 2-Math/Perspective/Time/Space By Mary Tam

Professor Vesna talked a lot about the number zero that I had no idea about before. Greek astronomer began to use the number zero. The eastern countries used the number zero before the western countries did. During the middle ages, zero meant the devil himself. Many people did not accept zero because everything would change in the learnings. Another thing that was very interesting is that I have had experiences with math, perspective, time, and space. In high school, I had to do a math project for my math analysis class. I did research on Galileo Galilei. Galileo Galilei was a great astronomer, mathematician, and physicist. He had many inventions and new theories. One of the experiments that he came up with was that he dropped two cannon balls of different weight at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It was thought before his experiment by Aristotle that the mass of the particle is dependent on the speed of the particle. He was skeptical of that theory so he did a demonstration on it. Clearly, his demonstration said otherwise. As a result of his experiment, he came up with the Principle of Inertia, which is  a body moving on a level surface will continue in the same direction at constant speed unless disturbed. He also came up with a kinematic law that distance is porportional to time squared. His ideas were adopted from Newton’s  Law of Motion. The mass was in fact independent from the speed. It is interesting how visuals can demonstrate and show a lot of new perspectives.

I also found Mandelbrot very fascinating. There’s an infinite of images that goes on and on. When Professor Vesna showed some fractuals in class, I really found them enjoyable. I realized there is an interpretation of these images like Rorschach inkblot printing that I learned in psychology. These images are what you interpret them to be. But how you interpret them determines the way you think. When I saw one of the fractuals YouTube video, I saw happiness and a calming feeling. However, some people might not understand or find the same meaning. Overall, I want to say that art has no boundaries. You can do whatever you want as long as you are creative with it. Although science has some boundaries, one can always come up with new theories and perspectives, like Galileo. We cannot be ignorant and accept everything we hear or see.  With science and art incorporated together, impossibilities can happen.

Here is one of the Fractual video that I found interesting:

Fractuals