Week 2 Art and Math by Isaac Arjonilla

In this week’s lecture we saw how two naturally contradicting topics, actually have much in common.  Both Art and Math have always been two ideals that seem to have structures that are very opposite, while art is seen as leisure and creative, math is structured and organized. What I didn’t know is that mathematics have been used for many years to create some of what today’s standards are considered masterpieces. Filippo Brunelleschi was the father of engineering during the Italian renaissance was able to use linear perspective in art. Along with linear perspective, the vanishing point also came from his work, which was later used in many of the paintings and structures that are seen today around the world. During high school in my precalculus class, our teacher had her room decorated with fractals which are which are a geometric shape that are infinitely complex which are created using mathematics such as calculus.

Fractal

These shapes began to be known in the seventeenth century when mathematician Gottfried Leibniz though of the idea of fractals. All of this was back in the 17th century proving the long span that math and art have had and how it has evolved over the centuries. More recent artists have alluded to mathematics in their art. Pablo Picasso is known for his abstract paintings which are mostly made up by shapes broken up.  Again, In my math class we used math to make up a picture, the main objective was to use algebra and calculus equations, and plot them on a grid, and when the equations were put in, the lines would display a picture, I was inspired by Pac-Man, I used sine graphs to form the mouth of the ghosts, and the formulas to graph circles to make Pac-Man’s body. As I began to do some research on paintings and the techniques that were described in lecture,  I saw how Brunelleschi’s techniques would continue to be used and further developed by other artists. Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting: “The Last Supper” has clear signs of the vanishing point technique, and symmetry as it shows balance throughout. Other artists who were shown to be connected with math is Escher was also proven to have reached mathematical perfection by his lifelong friend Coxeter, as shown to us by Professor Vesna during lecture.

leonardo_da_vinci_1452-1519_-_the_last_supper_1495-1498

I enjoyed seeing how mathematics and art have been in existence for more many centuries. Seeing how it has changed over the years and how it has now helped conduct research in the fields of medicine is very inspiring. There was a video showing how the brain operates and it uses graphic animation, the reason that I say its inspiring is because I always thought that art wouldn’t really be able to help the world in the way that medicine does, but looking as to how technology and art have been recently growing together, it is easy to see that art will always play a big impact on the world. 

-Isaac Arjonilla