Week 2_Math and Art Work Hand-In Hand by Jonah Batista

Week 2_ Math and Art Work Hand-In Hand by Jonah Batista

This past week during lecture, our professor really focused on how mathematics and art can be used to create a more dimensional portrait. In actuality, I really enjoyed this week’s lectures more than last weeks because what we had discussed last week has now been somewhat answered. Through the reading, and lectures, we can see how math has such a great impact on art, and vice versa. The golden ration displayed during class was an exceptional example as in is conceived from nature, yet encompasses a mathematical value and is even used to determine beauty. 

Before I speak on the readings, I actually think its important to mention the value behind perception in pictures, that was developed quite some time ago. With the advancement of art and math, as they work together, we can benefit from it and spread news in a much more effective manner. Now more than ever, our country looks to the world with a certain perception. Usually, these perceptions are formed from our media, like television or internet and magazines. Although there are definite downfalls to this, there are great benefits. For example, I travel to Ethiopia every year, and have witnessed poverty in extreme conditions. Of course, this experience has affected what I want to do for my profession, but in most cases, the globe doesn’t really know what is going on in some countries. Whether it be starvation, genocide, or even war, our connection has been our media, and how they portray what we may not be able to always see. Photos like these literally throw us in the situation; a great example of perception, as if you were standing right there. bnw-vulture-waits-for-child-to-die I know that this photo has no correlation to the fourth-dimension as stated in the readings, but it does connect to the perception. Sometimes I even feel that maybe we are standing in the fourth-dimension, looking into the three-dimensional photo. 

Now for the topic which we had read about. Coming from an engineering perspective, it was very interesting to read the different view points of the fourth-dimension. This fourth-dimension, which could represent an artist breaking away from the traditional form of art, has given rise to what we call abstract art. In many cases, its hard for me to understand this form of art, but when I do its very enjoyable because it delivers a surreal perception; almost as if its not possible, yet it may be. On top of that, what I really find amazing is how so many different artists have different perceptions of this new dimension and how it looks. With so many creative ideas, its so hard to distinguish what the fourth-dimension truly is in art. However, I must say that the variety in opinions does give rise to some pretty interesting designs. Referring back to lecture, I would have to say my favorite part was the fractals. Besides getting a little dizzy, I really enjoyed the multiple color schemes and how in depth one could get with them.

http://goldennumber.net/

Jonah Batista