Week 2 North/South Mixer, Lectures and Discussion By Mary Tam

In this week’s entry, I want talk about the North / South Mixer and Particle Group Exhibition that was held on Wednesday night, the lectures during class, and discussion. First of all, I really liked the mixer. It was located at the California Nanosystems Institute and was hosted by CNSI. People of different disciplines interacted with each other and enjoy a night together with food and cocktails and interesting stories to share with each other. This event brought the sciences and art closer together. When I was there, I felt I was experiencing something I have not experienced before. As a Biology major or south campus major, I rarely get the chance to talk and interact with people from the arts major or north campus major. Because of this event, I got a better understanding of the other people with different interests. The event was very successful. The Particle Group is a collective that draws from the hard and social sciences to expand installations that are critically engaged with the politics and poetics of nano-science and its market. Their main objective is to spread the idea of the lack of regulation of nanoparticles in consumer goods. The people at the exhibit were very friendly and showed others how the Particle Sniffer system works. The Particle Interest showed the non-scientists how science works.

During the North/South Mixer, I remembered what I learned during my discussion on Tuesday with John. So I really want to mention about it. During discussion, we discussed about the existence of the divider between the two cultures. C.P. Snow stated many types of stereotypes between the two cultures. To some extent, I believe that some of them are true. John showed us some pictures on the stereotypic scientist and artist. Urkel was one of his examples. I think that people who do not know much about science would know that Urkel represents the “brainiac” or the nerdy scientist. Also John showed us a picture of a man with a beret to be the typical artist. What about the people in between? There are many people who identify themselves to be more associated with either group but they are not truly a scientist or artist. There are many occupations and subjects that incorporate both sciences and art. One that I kept thinking of as John was discussing about the two cultures is architecture. My friend is studying civil engineering hoping to become an architect in the future. I asked her many questions on what classes she take and what her interests are. She told me she has to take many art classes and she has to take art history. Besides art classes, she has to take chemistry, physics and math. I asked if it is hard to do, she told me it was. But she loves how she can learn both science and art at the same time. Other subjects like Biochemistry or Electrical engineering do not have that many chances to take other courses outside their discipline. The North/South mixer got me thinking about how I should have continued taking art classes and piano lessons. The reason why I stopped was because school got in the way and I forced myself to focus more on math and science. Don’t get me wrong, I love math and science, but I want to learn more about art and subjects outside my discipline. The lecture on Tuesday was also very interesting. I learned that the number zero was seen as the devil in the Middle Ages.

By Mary Tam

Art and Science Interaction