Extra_Credit Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library by Richard Jin

Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library –

This afternoon, I went to the Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library. First and foremost, I would like to say how incredible confusing it is to get to the biomedical library if you decide to take the Life Sciences Building entrance. There are signs that point to the library but after a while, they just lead to a corridor and stop. In fact, you are supposed to take the elevator down to the first floor and then navigate your way from there.

0312091612a

My initial reaction upon entering the library was that it was extremely small. What I learned later on was that it was in fact 13 floors high. The square footage per floor is not very impressive; however the library tries to cram as much material onto a floor as possible. The rows are extremely narrow, but it is just a testament to how much material this library carries. I have never seen so many medical books in one place before, in an ordinary library perhaps a shelf or two would be dedicated to these topics, but in this library, they had countless rows of information on a subject such as ADHD alone.

0312091619

The construction of the building is pretty old however. The stairs are not kept in the best of conditions and the air circulation is not the best. While I was there, it was pretty stuffy. This was probably due to the low ceilings, approximately 7.5 feet high. The people studying there were mostly graduate students and adults, although you could spot the occasional undergraduate there.

Ghetto Stairs

Ghetto Stairs

As I perused through the rows, I found that the majority of the topics were interesting topics – perhaps it is because I am a biochemistry major. If I had to spend leisure time in a library, I would probably prefer to spend it in this type of library because it contains content that I am actually interested in – then again, I would probably not spend my leisure time in a library to begin with.

0312091613

The amount knowledge we possess in terms of living organisms to date is astonishing. However, I would venture to say the majority of the research found in the books at the library has only been conducted within the past 20 years. I would venture to say that within the next 20 years our knowledge of biological systems will grow exponentially, filling enough books to occupy 50-70 floors.  

13 Floors of the Library

13 Floors of the Library

By Richard Jin