Extra Credit- David Szanto By Mary Tam

On Friday, February 27, I went to David Szanto’s presentation. His presentation was on the Slow Food Organization that was created in Northern Italy at the University of Gastronomic Sciences. He is a graduate at the University of Gastronomic Sciences and he actively volunteers for his school to teach other what slow food really is. It was interesting how he asked people what gastronomy is and many people did not know what it means. Then he explains to everyone what the word means by breaking the word up into “gaster” and “nomia.” The two words mean stomach and law respectively. According to David Szanto, the Slow Food Organization’s purpose is to inform others what slow food really means and what fast food is doing to many people today. The main objective of the organization is to eliminate fast food chains and incorporate healthy, “slow” food in our lives.

Many people around the world today, especially Americans are becoming obese because of the convenient fast food restaurants that are prevalent in America. David Szanto said those are not real food and in order to taste the true essence of food, people have to eat slow food. It is real food that includes all the necessary nutrients. Fast food to me, seem to all taste the same. There are not that many variations. It is very redundant and all I can think of, when I hear the word fast food is hamburgers, fries, and a heart attack waiting to come. Many people know fast food is unhealthy for them, but they continue to go to fast food restaurants because it is affordable and convenient. If everyone spends the time to drive or walk to a fast food restaurant, they can go to the nearest supermarket and stock up on fruits, vegetable, and make many easy meals. I really enjoy cooking good meals. I wish one day I can make a difference too by going on Food Network and teach Americans how to make Slow Food fast and good.

The Slow Food Organization is also here in America. David Szanto tries to inform us about what food is good fair and clean. The word good can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. When it comes to slow food, the idea of good means enjoying delicious food created with care from healthy plants and animals. The pleasures of good food can also help to build society and celebrate culture and regional diversity. When we talk about clean food, we are talking about nutritious food that is as good for the planet as it is for our bodies. It is grown and harvested with methods that have a positive impact on our local ecosystems and promotes biodiversity. We believe that food is a universal right. Food that is fair should be accessible to all, regardless of income, and produced by people who are treated with dignity and justly compensated for their labor.

This book shows what fast food really does to us.