wk 9—–nanotechnology and biotechnology? ethics? imagination? shiyang zheng

Professor James Gimzewski’s lecture on nanotechnology is inspiring. And I was surprised by the huge impact of nanotechnology today and coming future. As Professor James Gimzewski said, it is age of nanotechnology. I expect to see how everything is getting small. In the discussion, we watch a video of Nokia Morph Concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gTobCJHs

The cell phone is flexible, can detect dust and bacteria, and has solar recharge system etc. The technology has been developed rapidly since 20th century. We can see things are getting smaller in size but greater in functionality. Everything is getting portable such as laptop.

The world smallest laptop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XxBgN8OZA&feature=related

Especially after Internet is introduced, we have greater and more frequent interaction among other social groups, friends, and family even in distance. Through Internet, it’s easier and more efficient to share ideas. There is no doubt technology accelerates human civilization. Imaging one day when everything is portable and smaller by nanotechnology, I believe we have to change our lifestyle again. Nano-book, nano-mobile, nano-luggage, nano-medical props that can cure our illness inside our body etc. However, nanotechnology involves more than just creating things on a small scale. Nanotechnology is the natural amalgamation of all fields of science and technology in understanding and manipulating matter on an ever-smaller scale. But it’s important to remember that nanotechnology enables the development of new materials and systems with novel properties.

Beside nanotechnology, biotechnology is another emerging field. Recently I read an interesting article about the integration of biotechnology and nanotechnology. The first applications of nanotechnology in biotechnology are in diagnostics. There are companies like Agilent, Nanogen and Affymetrix are using nanotechnology to build arrays to help diagnose multiple ailments. In the next decade, drug delivery systems are likely to use nanotechnology, as will medical implants. In the future, as specialists predict, there will have nanomachines that act as biological systems working together could carry out tasks such as delivering medicine, altering genes and attacking cancer cells. These would be nanosize assemblies that would perform biological tasks, which means nanotechnology could mimic biological systems such as viruses.

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/profprog/emtm/insite-spring2006/feature-nanotechbiotech.html

However, The initial challenge for merging nano- and biotechnology will be getting Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval due to the potential effects of foreign material and implantable devices in the body. Besides there are a series of ethical questions and regulations needed to be discussed. Technology is useful, but we might really need to seat and think about its application seriously. While I was writing my final project, I was very enjoying my powerful invention. Unfortunately, it might be dangerous and harmful to society if it was improperly used.  Therefore, I feel it is necessary to educate everyone of the development of our technology and its effect to our daily life. There are many chemical and electronic products today. However, we do only know its benefits and method of usage but any potential harm to our health. For example microwave. It is harmful to stand in front of microwave while it is operating. It could generate certain wave frequency, which is harmful to your physical and mental health. Therefore, it’s necessary to collective unit of organization or people to supervise security and quality of the product. There are many existing organization such as FDA protecting consumer’s benefit. However, everyone individual might have different requirements and needs. It’s an analogy to see the doctor when you are sick. Everyone has different health and physical condition. And everyone has different prescription.

I’m very agree with Professor James Gimzewski, this is the age of nanotechnology, at same time, I also think we are living in the world of imagination. He also mentioned the difference between scientists and artists. In his opinion, scientists discover the new but do not know how to create new application. Artists have imagination and creativity that scientists do not have. And thus, He expects artists and scientists work together. After staying in desma9 for 9 weeks, I start to see the integration of art and science from a possibility to an unavoidable trend and fashion. “Apple” is a great example! I like one sentence he said in the end very much “the imagination decides future”. In my imagination, I can find my passion and ambition. It’s the source of my determination and perseverance. My imagination decides my attitude and the content of my imagination will decide my direction.

379 Responses to “wk 9—–nanotechnology and biotechnology? ethics? imagination? shiyang zheng”

1. [...] wk 9—–nanotechnology and biotechnology? ethics? imagination … [...]