Week8_Space_Crystal Lin

I must admit, space straight out scares me. I suppose it’s because my greatest fear is being alone. I already don’t like being alone in a room, and I shiver at the thought of being alone in a stadium. I get nightmares about being the last person in the US; the last person on the planet; the only person in the solar system; the only person in the galaxy; the only person in the universe. I imagine myself floating out in space, trying to travel to the nearest tangible object, but continuing in the same direction, and never reaching an actual object because it is just too far away to reach in a life time.

I suppose the concept of space is fascinating when you think of it in a completely objective and removed point of view though. The video that the speaker showed in class of each frame being 10 times as big as the previous every 10 seconds was pretty cool. I had seen the video before, but it still gets to me when I watch it again, especially when the screen travels towards its farthest range. At this farthest range, when you take in to consideration how long it took you to get to this point, it makes me realize just how tiny and insignificant I could be if space was really that infinite. That brings up another topic in space that always made me think twice. How do we know that space is that big? Do we send out satellites that give us video or picture evidence of what is really out there? And how do we know where everything is situated? Have we traveled every square inch of the space in between? I think the concept of space is just as questionable as evolution, which is just as questionable as religion.

The concept of multiplying and diving space by factors of 10 reminded me of a philosopher I learned about in high school. Parmenides, a Greek Philosopher, proposed that “before an object can move any distance, it must first move through an infinite series of fractions of that distance; but since one can never actually get through an infinite series of steps, no distance can be moved through at all.”

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~lyman/english233/g-Parmenides.htm

I think this is an interesting topic to consider when thinking about space. If you take an inch, and divide it by 2, you get half an inch. Divide it by two again and you get one-fourth of an inch. Divide that by two again, and again, and again, and again. Theoretically, you can keep going, so when does it ever end? When do you finally reach the other side from where you are measuring? When you do, what happened? Why couldn’t you take half of that distance before you got to the other side? It’s an interesting philosophy.