Week9_Nano_Crystal Lin

This week’s topic, nanotechnology, is quite thought provoking, if you find an interest in that sort of thing. Actually, I think it would be impossible not to have an interest in it. Though there are those who dwell in the past, most people look to the future for what we can do, what we will do, and what we want to do. Nanotechnology is going to be the leading force in the world for the generations to come.

My previous knowledge of nanotechnology was very limited. I have to admit, when I thought of nanotechnology, I just though of super small particles doing really high tech stuff. It was therefore really exciting for me to hear the Professor, and this week’s lecturer, talk about nanotechnology in this day and age.

I first found it interesting that nanotechnology came before nanoscience. I guess it shouldn’t be so surprising though, that we would begin to imagine creating things at such a small scale even before the actual science became available. The talks this week really reiterated the exact scale related to nanotechnology. One source made a comparison to a strand of hair, but I really like the comparison made to a strip of tape: imagine a thickness of a strip of tape being as tall as the tallest skyscraper, and your basic unit of measure is the nanometer. That’s insane! One of the things that really stuck out to me though, and made me literally drop my jaw in awe, was the video shown in discussion of a cell phone/watch of the future made with nanotechnology. It was as thin as a sheet of metal, and could bend around the shape of your wrist, then become firm after locking it. When it is off your wrist, it becomes a flat device that you can type information on. One fold later and it becomes a cell phone. There were so many other amazing, seemingly impossible features of that device, but I guess they aren’t impossible with nanotechnology! It would be super cool if I could live to see that device get put into production.

Though this deviates from the main point of nanotechnology, I really liked the intro paragraph to the assigned reading for this week.

In both the philosophical and visual sense, ‘seeing is believing’ does not apply to nanotechnology, for there is nothing even remotely visible to create proof of existence. On the atomic and molecular scale, data is recorded by sensing and probing in a very abstract manner, which requires complex and approximate interpretations. More than in any other science, visualization and creation of a narrative becomes necessary to describe what is sensed, not seen.

When I read this, I started thinking about religion. What if the existence of God was like nanotechnology. It is in a form invisible to the human eye, or even in a form unfathomable to the human mind. In any case, there is just simply a lack of nanoscience to understand the nanotechnology that is a God.

But that is a side note. Another thing that excites me about nanotechnology is its presence in the field of food. One company has designed, using nanotechnology, a way to deliver nutrients to your body through a simple sip of a drink. Imagine cups of spinach, loads of vitamin c, broccoli, lettuce, apples, etc, all packed into one nano-sized molecule of healthiness. That’s what Max International is hoping to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TYQx3DngRE

Inventions like this could possible solve the issue of world hunger!