Week 8 Space and Proposal by Adriana Rosas

Growing up as a child, while other kids wanted to be doctors or firemen, I was the kid who wanted to be an astronaut. I was curious about the whole idea of outer space and intrigued by the unknown frontier and that there was limitless matter beyond our planet. For this reason, I was rather excited for this week’s lecture topic.

universe3

Although much has been discovered in regards to the universe, there is so much more knowledge about space that has yet to be discovered. Technology plays a key role in these discoveries. It is only when technology is perfected and is state-of-the-art that scientists and astronauts can venture out into the universe and study this other world.

People are so busy with the content of their lives that we often forget how insignificantly small we really are. The video with the Simpsons demonstrated this idea perfectly. We could in fact just be little tiny ants living in another creature’s snowflake, but would never know. It’s also interesting to think about fast forwarding one hundred years from today and to see how advance technology has come to support studies in space knowledge and exploration.

I also found the topic about how living would look if we lived in a fifth dimension. Although the video about the 10 dimensions that was showed during lecture was a bit confusing and I was not able to follow it completely, I did grasp the basic concept about living in a fifth dimension where people would have a sort of ghost path in relation to time. I then google-ed “The Fifth Dimension” to find out more information about this topic and found a rather interesting article that talked about how scientists believe that the existence of multiple dimensions would help explain many physics problems (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13070896/). Scientists say that it will take several years to prove this claim, but will hopefully help explain mini-black holes and dark matter, gravitational waves and cosmic inflation, super-high-energy particle collisions and ultra-powerful gamma-ray bursts.

060531_graviton_hmed_3p

Proposal

For my final project, I am proposing to create goggles to ideal allow a person to “walk in another person’s shoes” however, instead of walk in someone’s shoes, the person would look through another’s eyes. I have this idea that all people do not see things exactly the same like a form of colorblind-ness; that everyone has a different perception of every color. Yes, in preschool we all learned what color was red and which was blue. But what if the color that I was taught to be red looks different to another person who was also taught that that color was red too? For this reason I would like to create goggles to allow people the chance to see through another’s persons eyes and help those that are color blind with the gift of colors.