Week8_ Dissecting Space by Christine Vu

In this week’s lecture, a guest speaker came to educate our class about the Space time continuum: 4th dimension and beyond. I found myself very intrigued by the topics he addressed as well as the various supporting examples. To start off, he brought up real life examples. I found myself wondering what deja vu really was. I always saw it as an event which previously happened in my dreams or in my past. Contrastly, he reasoned that deja vu occurs as a result of a bend in the space continuum in the moment you experience. For me, that kind of explanation is hard to grasp. This can indicate that the space continuum can be so much more than what we know. It is yet another mystery we need to study.
       Initially, my attention was caught as the guest speaker started to present on past experiments dealing with the space time continuum. He showed an inventor who utilized a rotating turntable, in which each horizontal line was displaced by several frames to create an illusion. What the naked eye saw was a woman revolving around pillars, defeating time and space. This just shows how manipulating the concept of space can contribute to the third culture: art and science. Another example was Alvaro Casinett’s invention of a chronas projector, in which a spandex was created to touch and depress. The place you depressed shows the displaced image in relation to time. There was a picture of a sunset overbearing a city, but then depressed, to show the city taking place in an evening setting. Nowadays, artists like Toshio Iwai are starting to share these new concepts to our society. Recently, Toshio set up cameras to capture ordinary civilians displacing images. This is a great way to involve the public. I feel that it is extremely important to publicize this new outlook, a new perspective. The guest speaker then defined entropy as a necessity to governing our world. Many pronoun leaders, himself included, are experimenting with entropy to create their work. For example, Philosopher Lucretius used entropy, chaos, randomness, and chance to articulate his ideas. John Cage, became popular because of his bizarre idea to throw trash on top of piano strings, to alter the sound of music. His compositions depended on chance. One of his most famous compositions is a pianist going on stage to play nothing, the noises from the audience were the composition. Many times, what captures our attention is what we have never yet seen or experienced. This expressionism gives hope to nonconformity.
       Finally, the guest speaker, introduced some of his own projects. One was the “Slinky Piece” in which slinkies fell down a ladder to create a sculpture as the final product. Another idea he has become interested in is focusing attention to the sounds of activites. For example, he recorded the sound of a ping pong game.He also wired pogo sticks with guitar settings to produce music. Many times, people are too absorbed with performing these daily activities that we fail to consider the sounds that come out of it. Our society often oversimplifies things we should not.
       My favorite piece, created by the guest speaker, is an instrument recently premiered at a Japanese concert. Because he was concerned about the constriction a normal guitar had, he designed a new instrument. He formed 6 separate guitars, each containing one string from the ordinary guitar. This way, with 6 different performers, you are able to produce chords that would not be able to be played if these strings were all constrained to one instrument. Furthermore, the compositions created by these new instruments were beautiful. This just shows what thinking outside the box can do. Think of all the possibilities that could arise from simple curiosities like these.

Final Abstract
       Wouldn’t it be great if the Undercover Weatherman (previous midterm design) could do more than just detect levels of humidity? In a world where technology has taken a huge toll, we find it inconvenient if we do not have a cellphone stashed in our bag or an ipod ready in hand. Delayed, many times we are frustrated by a simple mistake of not taking the time to charge our batteries to only suffer the next day’s consequence of bombarding bruinwalk flyering the next day. Therefore, I am interested in expanding my idea of humidity detecting underwear, allowing underwear to absorb solar energy as an addition. The underwear would then not only be a device to predict weather changes, but act as an energy source for electronical devices.
CHANCE
randomness