Week 5 Midterm - Isaac Arjonilla

The topics that have been studied in Desma 9 have very much exceeded what I would have thought we might have studied. The idea I had of the class was of some course I would take that would only teach me about new kinds of art, but what we have learned so far is far from it. During week 1, the topics that we studied were “Two Cultures,” in which we were introduced to science and art and we were given examples on who they entwine to create a new breed of art. This is what set the foundation for the rest of the class. It was during week two that I became very interested in the class, it was when we began studying, “Mathematics, Perspective, Time and Space,” and we saw how art could be created by using different and new scientific methods. We saw how time and space and perspective in a way inspired the rise of kinetic art, which we would later study. Week three showed us introduced us to, “Industrial age, Kinetic Art, Robotics,” and during week four we studied how the Human Body and Medicine were being used in the modern world. Although these topics might seem to be on the opposite side of the spectrum, they both show very similar qualities. When we were introduced to Kinetic arts, we saw how sculptors, rather than focusing on a immovable object, decided to trace their movement and apply it to the sculpture. This showed a new way of approaching sculpture. The rising of robotics has truly helped the development of modern medicine. Robots of modern age can perform tasks that would be impossible for a human to perform, both from a scientific perspective and an artistic perspective. Robots should be thought of as an artistic masterpiece, because it epitomizes the art of science. People might argue that robots are only facilitating life for people, but realistically, they are only allowing us to explore worlds and territories that have never been explored before. The advancements of technology have allowed medicine to develop and grow, giving hundreds of cures to diseases that would be seen as lethal decades ago. Ultimately, all these topics are traced back to two cultures, because each one has completely different ideologies, and objectives but they can all be related to one another, it just depends on what the person is trying to see: the science found in the art, or what how the art is influencing the science.

davinci2

In my midterm I decided to focus on robotics, and in a sense, the human body. I began to think how two of these topics could combine to form something that is yet to be perfected. I remember seeing a clip of an octopus, and how it used camouflage to escape from its enemy; the video is quite amazing, as the octopus can change its texture, color, and body composition. I thought if there could be a way that a human body could be able to do that, ofcourse with the help of robotics and technology. I thought of a camouflage suit that could blend into any environment, just exactly how the octopus could but I couldn’t see a way to make that happening, after doing research I found out about microscopic robots, and that is how I came across nanotechnology and metamaterials. Research that was being conducted shows how the newly developed metamaterials can affect the light that hits it. And after researching on the Chromatophore cells worked, I applied it to my project. From the robotics perspective, I would be using nanotechnology to create a new kind of body armor that could mimic any surface that it comes in contact with. As for the Human body aspect, I decided focus on the octopus and try to replicate the Chromatophore cell’s functions and apply them to the nanomachiens that would be used in the suit.

urban_camouflage_supermarket

By Isaac Arjonilla