Week5_Midterm: Midterm by Matthew Robertson

It’s been interesting to see different examples of how art and science can work together.  While there is a divide between the two cultures, I feel that a lot of impressive scientific works incorporate some art and that a lot of artistic works incorporate science. Of all the things that we’ve been exposed to I’ve been most impressed by the Circle Limit series by M.C. Escher. I read the paper written by Coxeter analyzing its geometry. Its very impressive that anyone could conceptualize and then create that piece of work.

I had never really considered visions of the future to be art. I found this segment of the class to be very interesting. Blade Runner was of particular interest as I had read the book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick) but never seen the movie beyond a few scenes. I’ve been thinking about the scene in which Roy dies over and over again. The book does not have the movies thorough depictions of the environment. I found the movie interesting because it was made in 1982 and depicts 2019. As time progresses the movie’s predictions of the future become increasingly inaccurate. An interesting exhibit would be a time line consisting of various visions of the future. 

I really enjoyed working on my midterm project. As a Computer Science major, I spend a lot of my time programming. The assignments are often very structured, and there is usually no real room for creativity. It was very refreshing to design my own program and have it do what I wanted. It was also the first time I’d worked with audio, which turned out to be slightly more work than I’d imagined.
    Here are some images from my project:

conway-2009-02-08-17-04-09-48

conway-2009-02-08-16-49-57-64

And a demo: