Archive for January, 2009

Week 4_Medicine by uriel cobian

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

The required readings for this week were “The Oath by Hippocrates” and “Hippocratic Oath- Modern Version.” These were very similar since the ladder is in fact a modern version of the other. Both oaths have a speaker who is some sort of doctor. Each one promises to treat his job with respect and follow the examples set by those before him. In the one by Hippocrates, the speaker thanks the gods for blessing him with the ability to cure others. For this, he offers, in return, to teach others his trade and to respectfully carry it out. By this, the speaker means that he will never do more than he has to do. He states that he “will give no deadly medicine to anyone if asked” and promises to only work for “the benefit of the sick.” The modern oath is different in that instead of thanking the gods, the speaker thanks the people that were doctors before him. He promises to follow their examples. It is also different from the other because the speaker is more specific with what he is promising to do. The speaker says that he will never help people hurt themselves and that he will never be afraid to ask for help when needed. Like Hippocrates, the speaker also mentions that a patient’s privacy is very important. Both speakers at the end admit that if they don’t violate this oath, and do indeed respect medicine, they will then have respect for themselves and live a happy life.

In today’s world, appearances make this type of oath nearly impossible to keep. Because of appearance standards set by the media, more and more people decide to change what they look. For this, they need the help of doctors, even though they’re not really sick. By helping them make these modifications, doctors would break the promises set by these oaths. Perhaps it would be a good idea for someone to make a new oath that included promises to not make unnecessary modifications to their patients. However, these modifications are a never-ending source of income for these doctors, and apparently, money means more than respect for their jobs. This reminds me of a show on television called “Dr. 90210,” which focuses on a doctor who does nothing but perform surgeries on people who are unhappy with how they look. It’s pretty disappointing to see the doctor rip apart the natural state of a person to turn them into something they’re not. A classic and very obvious example of someone who has made many changes to their appearance via medicine is Michael Jackson, who at times doesn’t even look like a human being anymore.

Cosmetic surgery has become so common that people aren’t even embarrassed to say they’ve had it done, and the statistics show it: http://www.surgery.org/press/news-release.php?iid=428&section=news-stats

The only way to stop this is for doctors to step up and realize that this practice is not only immoral, but is also setting bad standards for children who want to be like the people that have surgery done. Many girls obsess to be as skinny as their favorite actress but don’t realize their appearance is probably due to cosmetic surgery. Doctors are deviating from what the oaths say they’re supposed to do, but they just have to stop caring about the money and start having a little more respect for their jobs.

michael jackson before and after surgery

-uriel cobian

Week 4-Human Body and Medicine- By Idy Tam

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

A plastic surgery reality show, “Lovely Cinderella,” is airing in China. Contestants in this show go through plastic surgery to compete in a plastic surgery beauty contest. The plastic surgery beauty contest and reality show is part of a surging Chinese interest in cosmetic surgery, a luxury that was beyond the means of most people a generation ago, but that has become increasingly popular as expendable incomes have grown. Tummy tucks and double-eyelids have made the list of must-haves.

There are two types of plastic surgery, reconstructive plastics surgery and cosmetic plastic surgery. Reconstructive plastic surgery is usually performed to improve function, but it may be done to approximate a normal appearance. Mostly in cases such as cleft lip, or cleft palate and traumatic injuries, such as facial bone fractures. The other type is cosmetic Surgery which is a subspecialty of surgery that uniquely restricts itself to the enhancement of appearance through surgical and medical techniques. It is specifically concerned with maintaining normal appearance, restoring it, or enhancing it beyond the average level toward some aesthetic ideal. Botulinum toxin is a medication and a neurotoxic protein produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This scientific term may seem unfamiliar to most people but it is commonly known as Botox, used in cosmetic operations.

I believe that one who is addicted to plastic surgery will never reach the perfection she is searching for. Plastic surgery was first used to reconstruct one’s face so he can lead to a normal life. But now plastic surgery can be seen as another form of art. The “Lovely Cinderella” show in China for example equivalent to a show that competes for the painting, in my opinion. Contestants are like canvases and the plastic surgeons are the artists. The plastic surgeons use the contestants face to construct the “perfection” of beauty. They use implants and eye-lifting, just about any type of facial reconstruction you can think of, to help these contestants win this beauty contest. In a sense, Plastic surgery bridges these three categories together, art, the human body, and medicine. The advancement in medicine allows doctors to begin using plastic surgery to express their artistic talents. This helps women to regain their confidence in themselves and on the hand, allows people who have experienced traumatic experiences live a normal life.

In lecture, Professor Vesna has talked about Orlan, who believes that plastic surgery isn’t tummy tucks, liposuction, and breast reduction or lip augmentation. It’s an expression of the sublime and grotesque, eccentricities carved into human flesh and sculpted in living bone. Orlan’s results attempt to resemble nonwestern images of beauty, like the Ndebele giraffe women, who lengthen their necks by wearing dozens of tight neck rings. She even keeps the blood and flesh discarded after her surgeries. For one piece, she encased a piece of her flesh in glass and attached it to a tableau. She has even included reshaping her face to resemble Zimbabwe’s Ndebele giraffe women and performing during her surgeries, she achieves that end.

By-Idy Tam

Week 4_Oath and Human Body by Catherine Yang

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

In both Hippocrates’s oaths, it talks about pledges toward the field of medicine/science which is considered as “art” in both oaths. However, one oath is from 400 B.C. with different meanings and labels and the other oath is the modern time oath where it is more condensed and direct to the point. Both oaths respects a patience privacy because both oaths’ swear not do disclose information about what they hear from the patients. On the other hand I spotted many differences. In the 400 B.C. version, he feels that he will impose his knowledge of his art only to his sons, sons of his teachers, and disciples that are following the oath and within the field of medicine. However, in the modern revised version, it says that knowledge should be shared to everyone that would like to follow in the same field, but it is not restricted to certain people. In the 400 B.C. oath, Hippocrates talks about how he will go to people’s houses’ to benefit for the sick; however, I believe modern revised version did not talk about going to a person’s house to heal them, because now days, we go to a doctor’s office or the hospital for checkups and information about our health. In the modern oath, it talks about how art can be related to medicine and science and not just judged by surgery or drugs given to a patient; however, for the 400 B.C. oath, Hippocrates believes that surgery should be left with the practitioners, or the surgeons. Both oaths felt to me a little religious because in the 400 B.C. oath, it talked about how Hippocrates opposed abortion and the committing of adultery and for the modern oath, it talked about how they will not be God in determining life and death situations. In the 400 B.C. oath, Hippocrates says that if he doesn’t violate the oath, he hopes it may grant him to enjoy life and the practice of the art,” but if he violates it may it give him the opposite. While, in the modern one it just states that through swearing to the oath, may it grant them to enjoy life and the art of medicine/science. I felt that there were a lot of repetition of holiness and pureness within the 400 B.C. oath that could be taken out. As for the modern oath, I felt that it was kind of ironic when it talked about choosing not to play God, because the practitioner still decides whether a patient will live or die with diagnosis.

I do not think everything should be followed by doctors, but I believe some facts are already followed as a standard procedure. For example, doctors should help in order to benefit the sick and keep patient’s stories and information confidential among themselves. I also feel if a doctor does not know how to treat a patient, it would be good to get another opinion from their colleagues. However, in any kind of pledge or oath, there will always be exceptions, where part of the oath might be broken or not taken into serious consideration. I believe these oaths are supposed to give a general guideline/rule for a practitioner.

Catherine Yang

hippocratic-oath-1 thehippocraticoath jfa1323l1

Week 4 - Human Body and Medicine - Destiny Johnson

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

My major is history and I would like to become a researcher/entertainment lawyer after I graduate:

I swear to find the answers to the questions that would affect people’s lives in a positive manner. I want to be able to answer the questions that have never been attempted before in order to gain a better understainding of the world.

I promise to not to acquire knowledge for myself but to share it with the world in books and even lectures with people who would also like to learn more about historical subjects.

I will not challenge previously known facts for the sake of being right but for the sake of developing a better understanding in order to help the community around me.

I will become not always a teacher but a continuous student of history. I promise to always listen to others opinions and never appear to be disinterested as if invalidating their side of the story.

I promise to become not only a researcher/student of history in European studies but also in African/African American studies in order to keep in touch with my own culture and know more about where I came from instead of always where others have come.

I solemnly swear to be humble however successful or knowledgeable I become and to use my talents unto God’s glory by using history also as a means of knowing more about a spiritual life with God and how the bible affects me today. In honor of him I will not use my talents to be selfish, for the sake of  wealth and to never harm people with negative,dishonest facts that I could write about my neighbor.

Week 4_My Oath_Wenjing Wu

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

I would like to be a product designer for electronics after graduation. And my oath will go like this:

I solemnly swear that as a product designer I will fullfill this Oath:

I will keep being creative in each piece of my work and do my best to satisfy my clients’ expectations. I will never consider any of my work as fully completed, since I will continuously improve my technique and add immaterial value to my products.

I will share my professional knowledge and insight with my colleagues and peers, as long as it will result in better user experience. I will not arbitrarily warp a customer’s wishes or needs to suit my own desires.

I will respect the ethical principles present in my field.

I will be awesome. 

In the end, I will never violate any the previous statements. Should I do so, I will not be able to enjoy my life and art. May I follow this oath and be an awesome product designer and never have to write another oath again in my life.

Week 4-Body & Medicine by Jackielyn Lacanilao

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

This weeks lecture on body and medicine quickly caught my attention to how in today’s society, many are without health care. Professor Vesna touched on the topic of pharmaceuticals and how ridiculously expensive they cost =/ A recent documentary by Micheal Moore, “Sicko”, followed the lives of those who live without health insurance. In one case, there is an old woman from New York  who is battling cancer and does not have the insurance to cover for chemotherapy. She traveled all the way to Puerto Rico to receive free healthcare services she was not given back home. Here is the link to a preview of Sicko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDAUKSh9CQ. Hopefully, under President Obama’s administration, universal health care can be resolved and become available to everyone either rich or poor. How can people recieve health care when the health care industry is denying people? When people are denied healthcare, the health industry receives profit! America stands as # 37 under World Health Organization’s Ranking. Other countries such as Australia, practice universal health care…Why can’t we??

Professor Vesna also brushed on the topic of plastic surgery. We live ina society where people are not satisfied with their outward appearance. These people, specifically women, are not fully satisfied with their look and therefore let surgeons play “tick tack toe” on their bodies. I guess to plastic surgeons, the body is perceived as art. In the modern oath written by Louis Lasagna states: “I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon’s knife or the chemist’s drug.” Plastic surgery is a form of art in the medical field. Sure, the self esteem of the patient goes up, but their money indeed declines. The hit show, “Nip Tuck” shows two wealthy plastic surgeons that change or modify the patient’s body to satisfy themselves or another person. This type of human dissection should not take place because we should all be content with how we look. Celebrities go under the knife to change their career because they see it as a flaw. These so called “flaws” are what makes us different from everyone else. There would not be diversity in a world where everyone desired to look like Angelina Jolie. Ashlee Simpson claimed it was a “personal choice” to have rhinoplasty.

Ashlee Simpson

Nip Tuck
       Medical Ethics (Hippocratic Oath) The Hippocratic oath has been used for centuries, and was created to provide standards for physicians in the past. The oath is still used today, but it is usually a revised version of the oath. There are opposing views on rather the oath should have been “modernized” or not, and rather the new “modernized” oath is equivalent to the qualities stressed in the original Oath. The oath has been used through decades and most medical schools to this day take a type of the Hippocratic oath. This oath has stood the test of time, but does undoubtedly need the reforms that have been applied through the years. Many argue that it is a tradition and should not be changed, but with advancing technology some parts must be changed. One aspect that should not be changed in the Hippocratic oath is “do no harm.” Doctors have control over many peoples lives daily, which provides them the knowledge and opportunity to either heal or kill. There have been organizations formed attempting to keep the morals of the Hippocratic oath “alive’. The modernized version is needed in order to advance with technology. Our technology is much more sufficient now, the medical area has developed more tests, medications, and surgeries. According to the original version of the oath doesn’t allow surgical procedures. Another main issue is that many of the new oaths do not address the fact of abortion, euthanasia, and sexual relations with patients. It is a doctor’s choice rather he or she wants to perform these acts, rather it is morally correct to them or not.I believe the oath should be modified to fit today’s society where technology is rapidly changing.

Jackielyn Lacanilao

Week 4-My Oath by Justine Hicks

Saturday, January 31st, 2009

Well, since I want to be a primary or secondary school teacher, my oath would go a little something like this:

Not only will I teach, but I will also be open to learn from veteran educators and accept any advice that I may receive. In turn, I will be willing to pass on guidance to novice teachers as well.
I will treat each student equally and not show favoritism to any particular students, regardless of how well they perform in class. I will also not discriminate students based on race, gender, religion, or for any other reason.
I will aim to enforce set rules consistently, which will be within reason, and in turn, I will implement appropriate disciplinary action, but will refrain from harsh tactics such as yelling. I will also do my best to ensure that academics are my main priority and will maintain high expectations for my students.
I will treat every day as a new day, and not assume that each student is going to perform the same all the time. If a student constantly misbehaves, I will not give up hope on him or her, rather I will remain encouraging.
If disruption occurs during class, I will immediately try to divert the disruptors’ attention back to the topic being discussed, as to not deprive the rest of the class from learning. I will not humiliate or belittle any student for any reason and will deal with any other problems that arise with students privately.
I will understand that I am the teacher and they are the students. I will not let them talk me out of assignments or quizzes and will uphold my authority.
I will ensure that I set up an environment that will make students feel comfortable learning and make sure they are provided with the necessary resources to succeed in my class. I will always be willing to provide extra help to those who seek it.
I will not let my personal problems interfere with my class and will not discuss with them any issues regarding other students or teachers.
I will make sure my lessons vary and will stray from monotony. I will try to keep my students interested in the subjects so they will be more likely to want to come to class and be more willing to learn.
I will teach to the best of my ability to guarantee that my students are provided with the education they deserve. It will be my responsibility to not only instill them with knowledge, but also to provide them with discipline and skills that will help them in college and later on in life.
I will be passionate about teaching. I will make sure my students understand the value of education, and try to keep them motivated to want to further their education.
If I uphold this oath, then I see myself being a successful teacher. I will be doing what I’ve always desired to do, which is to educate youth, and hopefully, I will love doing it.

Week 4-Human Body and Medicine-By Mary Tam

Friday, January 30th, 2009

This week’s lecture made me wonder how humans can be art products as well. The idea began when scientists perform human dissection to learn more about the human anatomy. However, it was not only the scientists who had to learn the human anatomy. I find the human anatomy very fascinating too. I remember when I took Anatomy and Physiology in high school, I really enjoyed it. Artists also had to study the human body parts and features. I can understand why artists have to know the human anatomy. They need to learn it so when they draw or paint a person, they would know the proportions of the body and face. I also found it interesting that pharmaceutical companies spend twice as much on promotion than on research and development. They should spend more money on research and development to create new drugs to cure aids, cancers, and other fatal diseases. Research and development is more important. Medicine and art has cross over many times. Plastic surgeries incorporate both art and science. Plastic surgeries are becoming more and more popular today. It is being advertised on television, in magazines, in newspapers, basically everywhere! There are even reality shows such as Dr. 90210 that shows doctors doing plastic surgeries. Professor Vesna showed us a YouTube video on an artist name Orlan. She is a French artist who is famous for her work in plastic surgeries. I found her video kind of gruesome. But I understand how plastic surgery can be art. I believe that plastic surgeons are artists who use tools to perfect someone’s face and body.

Nowadays there are many types of artists. Singers, painters, actors, designers are all artists. Why can’t plastic surgeons be added on the list? Many people today have done some sort of plastic surgery, whether it is cosmetic reconstruction, breast augmentation, liposuction, or Botox injection, there still a large number of people doing surgery. There are many artists and celebrities who did plastic surgeries to make them look more attractive. It makes people think the celebrities are the definition of beauty. I think that plastic surgeons should be applauded for their ability to change the nature of how people look like or what gender they are. Some may think is wrong, but it has helped a lot of people boost their self-confidence. However, some people have become obsessed with plastic surgery. There are many dangers to plastic surgeries. Some have to go back to the doctors to fix what the doctor messed up on. But doctors have to swear on an oath and to not violate this oath. They must “give no deadly medicine to any one if asked.” Doctors know what they are doing and most of them will not harm their patients. Plastic surgeons have to do art on a living thing where as other artists draw, paint, or do something on the computer. With the aid of current science and technology, doctors are more confident in performing surgeries on patients.

By Mary Tam

Week4_SharonDaniel_ExtraCredit

Thursday, January 29th, 2009

attend and blog on…

Sharon Daniel, Public Secrets and Bloodsugar // January 29, 2009, 5:00 pm - February 20, 2008, 8:00 pm

Public Secrets provides an interactive interface to an audio archive of hundreds of statements made by current and former prisoners, which unmask the secret injustices on the war on drugs, the criminal justice system and the prison industrial complex. Bloodsugar is a “new media documentary” that will examine the social and political construction of poverty, alienation, addiction and insanity in American society through the eyes of those who live it.

Week4_Human Body and Medicine by john carpenter

Thursday, January 29th, 2009

please respond to one or both of the required readings…

The Oath by Hippocrates, 400 B.C.
Hippocratic Oath—Modern Version by Louis Lasagna, 1964

by writing an oath for your respective field/major.*

——————-

*if you have a lot of trouble with that, other possible topics include: what are the differences between the two, and what should be added/taken out from either?   how closely do you feel that either oath should be followed doctors–are there exceptions (if so, what are they)?  **

**if you were really excited about one of the topics discussed in class and/or already wrote your blog post, it’s okay to post on another topic (but still make sure to do the readings).

please remember to click category ‘week4…” on the right ->