Archive for the ‘Week8_Space’ Category

Week 8 Space and Proposal by Adriana Rosas

Monday, March 2nd, 2009

Growing up as a child, while other kids wanted to be doctors or firemen, I was the kid who wanted to be an astronaut. I was curious about the whole idea of outer space and intrigued by the unknown frontier and that there was limitless matter beyond our planet. For this reason, I was rather excited for this week’s lecture topic.

universe3

Although much has been discovered in regards to the universe, there is so much more knowledge about space that has yet to be discovered. Technology plays a key role in these discoveries. It is only when technology is perfected and is state-of-the-art that scientists and astronauts can venture out into the universe and study this other world.

People are so busy with the content of their lives that we often forget how insignificantly small we really are. The video with the Simpsons demonstrated this idea perfectly. We could in fact just be little tiny ants living in another creature’s snowflake, but would never know. It’s also interesting to think about fast forwarding one hundred years from today and to see how advance technology has come to support studies in space knowledge and exploration.

I also found the topic about how living would look if we lived in a fifth dimension. Although the video about the 10 dimensions that was showed during lecture was a bit confusing and I was not able to follow it completely, I did grasp the basic concept about living in a fifth dimension where people would have a sort of ghost path in relation to time. I then google-ed “The Fifth Dimension” to find out more information about this topic and found a rather interesting article that talked about how scientists believe that the existence of multiple dimensions would help explain many physics problems (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13070896/). Scientists say that it will take several years to prove this claim, but will hopefully help explain mini-black holes and dark matter, gravitational waves and cosmic inflation, super-high-energy particle collisions and ultra-powerful gamma-ray bursts.

060531_graviton_hmed_3p

Proposal

For my final project, I am proposing to create goggles to ideal allow a person to “walk in another person’s shoes” however, instead of walk in someone’s shoes, the person would look through another’s eyes. I have this idea that all people do not see things exactly the same like a form of colorblind-ness; that everyone has a different perception of every color. Yes, in preschool we all learned what color was red and which was blue. But what if the color that I was taught to be red looks different to another person who was also taught that that color was red too? For this reason I would like to create goggles to allow people the chance to see through another’s persons eyes and help those that are color blind with the gift of colors.

Week 8_Project Proposal_Crystal Lin

Monday, March 2nd, 2009

Project Proposal

One of the many unifying qualities of the two cultures is religion. Whether or not you’re a novelist, engineer, dancer, or scientist, you can all follow and believe in Christianity. So for those followers, and even non-followers, what would it be like to be able to physically experience Jesus in the human form? I propose a “Jesus-4-Life” project that allows individuals to step in to the time of Jesus’ nailing to the cross, and experience his pain, suffering, sacrifice, and love, as if they were there at the actual event. This scene would appear in the form of a holographic, though he would be just as flesh as you and me.

week_8 Abstract by Nikola Kondov

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

The project will resemble “the Building of Life” from the midterm project. The building will retain its shape (C60- buckminster-fulleren molecule). Each room, which will correspond to an “atom” within the “molecule,  will represent a different aspect of our universe as a whole - from the structure of a proton to an imaginary “image” of our universe. The important “upgrade” in this project will be that the rooms will not only depict the different aspects of our universe, but will also show how the different aspects interact with each other (eg. how atoms combine in order to form molecules, or how different animals interact within an ecosystem. It will touch the topic of animal consciousness and other abstract and revolutionary thoughts.

by Nikola Kondov

Week 8_ Space & Abstract for Final_Long Lau

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

As a student in the Earth and Space Science department here, I have to say this week’s topic is by far the most interesting one to me. From very early on, people have looked up into the sky and wondered about all the twinkling lights circling above our zenith. From the refracting telescopes of Galileo to Hubbles Telescope to Mars rovers to NASA’s Cosmic  Background Explorer satellite, we have certainly come a long way in developing technology to observe our universe. Over time, we have been gaining more and more knowledge of the void out there but it seems like the more we know about it the more questions arises. The immensity of our universe is demonstrated clearly by the video Powers of Ten shown in class on Thursday, yet it is only 13 and a half billion years old, which is only about 3 times as old as our Earth!

microwave-background-radiation

The microwave background radiation map of the universe used to determine the age of the universe

As mentioned in class,  space exploration was ignited by the US and USSR arms race. Ever since then, this “manifest destiny” to conquer space has inspired many fiction writers and movie makers. I think people ought to fantasize more about space; our planet is only so small even compared to our immediate vicinity, the solar system. There is so much out there that can be materials for great science fiction. The idea of extraterrestrial life is one prominent mystery out there that captivates many minds. SETI, Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, searches the sky with radio telescopes to pick up unusual pulses of radio waves that could be sent from intelligent life, as shown in the movie Contact. One very interesting thought came to me when I first learned about SETI is that what if these intelligent life out there are doing the same thing searching for us? Radio waves from our radios and TV programs might take thousands or millions of years to reach them and by then will we still be around? In researching on this topic I came across something called the Arecibo message. It is a binary coded message sent into space using FM radio waves and it includes information such as the base 10 number system that we use, the atomic numbers for the main elements found in our body, and a general double helix shape of our DNA, etc. It makes me wonder what would happen when intelligent life received this message, would they ever be able to decode it?

arecibo_message

Arecibo Message arranged in 73 rows by 23 columns.

My idea for my final project will be built upon my proposal I did for my midterm, except that this time it will be set in the future. Like my midterm project, the purpose is to let the participants experience what it is like to be lost in dimensions.It will use the same computer program that constructs topological manifolds, what is different is that the participant will be immersed in a spherical hologram rather than staring at multiple screens. A major development from the midterm proposal is that instead of mounting the exhibit inside the microgravity simulating airplane, it will be installed inside a space elevator situated in the middle of Pacific Ocean at the equator that extends out to almost 1/4 of the distance to the moon. The elevator will utilize carbon nanotubes for support and will be powered by chemicals excreted from photosynthesis of genetically engineered plants that live inside a greenhouse at the outer edge of the elevator, which would be a structure that also serves as a counterweight to provide tension to the carbon nanotube shaft. Main advantage of this change is that the participants will experience an increased gravitational acceleration while the elevator ascends and will feel the sudden apparent weightlessness once it reaches geosynchronous orbit and can stay longer in microgravity than being inside a descending aircraft.

Week 8 Space – Isaac Arjonilla

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

This week’s lecture was focused on the various aspects of Space, and it served to remind me of how insignificant we might seem in comparison. In order to understand how small we truly are, we were shown a video in class where it continues to move farther from the earth, increasing in distance and showing us how small earth is and how big the universe is. I often wonder how small we really are in comparison, and how many other types of living organisms exist.

universe2

After watching the following video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0lxbzgwW7I) I realized how big the universe is. Usually, when I think of outer space I don’t take into consideration the other solar systems in our galaxy and the other galaxies in the universe. I used to doubt about possible life forms outside our planet, but when one begins to think about something as big as the universe it would be rather foolish to rule out other life. Something that is really frustrating to me, as a sci-fi movie watcher, is that it would be very hard to actually prove about what other life forms are in different universes. Also, I am always amazed by the mysteries of space, For instance, black holes. There will never be a way to see what happens after one enters one or where it leads to. From a scientific perspective, outer space is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mystery to known man but from an artistic perspective, the wonders of space have inspired different styles of art, and introduced us to a film genre which has produced much success.

Every time I think about outer space, I always seem to be conflicted by religion. The Big Bang Theory and my religious beliefs often contradict, making it harder to have an idea of where we all life originated. However, speaking with all religion aside, I think that there must be something greater than an omniscient and omnipotent deity, other galaxies must share different beliefs than ours, and I think that limiting to only one religion and believing that there is only one true god will never help us begin to understand the mysteries that surrounds our earth, and our galaxy.

creation

Final Proposal:
In a country where people suffer from poor mental health and stress issues, stress decreasing activities are always in need. I propose a highly sophisticated room with the sole purpose of improving emotional and mental health among the majority of stressed Americans. The room, which will vary in size, will be composed of liquid crystal displays that will display relaxing images, or videos to the subject. The projected content will be determined by their personality and preferences, and will be inputted into the room’s mainframe. Ultimately, this room should be able to reduce one’s stress levels, improve emotional health, and provide a new source of entertainment for many generations to come.

- Isaac Arjonilla

week8_outside space and final abstract. by Devin Quinlan

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

In almost every person’s life there is a moment where they are confronted with the sudden realization that they are nothing but a tiny, infinitesimal speck in the vast expanse of space and time. This feeling can result in a range of emotions, from loneliness to astonishment or even to wonder. Regardless of emotion, the effect is the same: a growing desire to learn and explore beyond our world, either to hopefully find that we aren’t alone, or just to find out exactly where we are in the scope of the universe.

Thus, space exploration has grown from the astronomical calculations of the ancient civilizations to the research of Copernicus and Galileo, all the way to the missions into space that have only taken place in the last century. With billions of dollars being sent towards space exploration and discovery, however, it begs the question: should we be spending money on space exploration?

I have always felt like space exploration (at least when it comes to visiting other planets/moons, not satellite missions) seems to be like marking off an interstellar checklist of planets that could potentially have life on them. Satellites and telescopes are able to do a lot of the marking for us, for instance allowing us to check off Jupiter as a planet that couldn’t possibly have life on it because of how dense it is. Long-distance observation can’t quite cut it for many of the moons and planets, either because they can’t see through the clouds or through the surface of the planet. This has led to explorations, such as the one to mars, where samples were collected to see if there was underground water, one of the conditions that is necessary for life to exist (or at least we think it is necessary). Unfortunately what we found on Mars was “inconclusive”, so in 2011 another Mars rover will be sent. Other orbiting bodies fall into this category as well, such as Jupiter’s moon, Europa, which is said to contain water under its icy surface. Unlike Mars, Europa is said to contain liquid water under the surface, which could potentially harbor life. This gives a lot more hope to scientists and explorers, because we know that one of the elements of life is already there.

Space exploration, though valuable to our knowledge of the cosmos, is not necessarily beneficial for mankind. With problems like global warming and pollution becoming increasingly threatening to our survival as a race, it is important that we keep in mind that we are more important than some other celestial beings, and we must make sure that we give enough money to research ways to save ourselves than to explore new planets. Furthermore, there is so much undiscovered life in our own planet, such as at the bottom of our ocean floor, that we ought to just explore and discover the things on our own planet to satisfy our alien cravings. Some deep sea fish are absolutely incredible, with strange lights and bodies that have adapted to worlds of almost pure darkness. There are even organisms on our ocean floor that use sulfur instead of oxygen to breathe!

So while space exploration is a necessary step in understanding our universe, it doesn’t have to happen right away, and I’d honestly say that we find out all of the cool “aliens” on our planet before we take things to chance and hope we find something elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

http://webdiod.deviantart.com/art/FreeDoom-13325406?offset=20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dbkwS2ki6k&feature=related

(brings back memories)

ABSTRACT:

What is life? This is the essential question that I wish to answer. By adapting the porous, gel scaffolds that are applied to burn victims to regrow skin, I hope to create massive scaffolds that resemble humans, animals, and inanimate objects that we see in everyday life. These scaffolds will grow skin cells and eventually dissolve, leaving statues of skin that would be displayed in an exhibit. These will hopefully cause observers to question the nature of life, and to touch on controversial issues such as abortion, where cells less developed and in less number than the ones on display are claimed to have a right to life. Eventually the statues will continue to grow out of shape and become distorted, eventually dying, bringing up ideas of chaos and order, the nature of life, and even an allusion to global cooperation to try and save our world.

By Devin Quinlan

Week 8- Space & Abstract by Kimberlie Shiao

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

I liked this week’s topic of space; the resulting sci-fi from the field is one of my favorite mixes of science and art. Unfortunately, despite the progress of the Space Age, it seems that now lack of funding means we’re back to dreaming about space and studying the sky from the ground. Maybe that’s partially a good thing, considering how much space junk we’ve left orbiting the planet. But I can’t help but feel disappointed at the fact that we’re contented to focus on ourselves, on our planet. Space is a really humbling thing; it’s something even beyond the natural wonders of our earth. I think humans could really grow as individuals through the humility of how insignificant our planet is. But the existence of videos with ideas like this (Carl Sagan’s Pale Blue Dot), suggests that this might be too optimistic of an idea. (Or maybe we have been humbled and I just haven’t lived long enough to see the difference; but when I look at myself and others I still can’t help thinking we don’t think of the big picture enough.) I think one way to draw attention to the beauty of space and the small fragile nature of ourselves and the planet, is art. I had never even heard of or thought about the space art we talked about this week. I thought everything people did in space was science related, and everything artistic in space was for things like time capsules, alien contact or the comfort of astronauts. So I particularly liked the space sculpture that Gil Kuno talked about, which was made to spin in the no-gravity feature of space. It’s really interesting that something so intrinsic to our lives, and partly the reason of how we are shaped, can be subtracted. I like how this sculpture moved beyond the idea of gravity, beyond the idea of staying somewhere relatively static, and moves through the unknown. Hopefully, if funding for space research continues (and if space tourism catches on), there can be more space related art such as non-gravity features. It would not only get people to pay attention to space, but (hopefully) make them think about humans and the universe in a different way.
For Gil Kuno’s own work, I really liked the Six String Sonic project. I thought it was a really interesting approach to something familiar, and remixing it. I expected it to sound rather cacophonous, but it was actually a bit jazzy. I think the way sound moves and is constructed is sometimes taken for granted or ignored, so I thought this project was an interesting eye opener.

NASA’s picture of the day archive
Someone imagined what a subway system map for the Milky Way would look like

Abstract:
I want to explore the ideas of alternate universes, phantom limbs, and technological telepathy. The main idea of the project would be for people to consider alternate life forms that could exist in space or other universes. The aim for this project is to make people think about the possibilities beyond our planet, and experience them. Of course, this is going to still be limited and human centric, to give the participants some ground of comparison. But the idea of using technology to give the feeling of multiple arms, heads, or even a collective mind would be alien enough to hopefully get people wondering about time, the definition of “human”, technology, and universes.

Kimberlie Shiao

Week 8_Space by Khoa Truong-N

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

The concept of space and the universe is easily one of the most popular topics of wonder, fascination, and fantasy in contemporary society.  Space is comprised of the unknown, and what is more interesting to man than the unknown.  We humans constantly speculate about what is “out there”, that is why we build spaceships and telescopes, so we can understand it.  As for the rest of us who don’t build rockets, we are forced to imagine what space is.  Countless movies, books, and even religions have formed in the name of space.  Will space be more like Star Wars or Star Trek?  Unfortunately, based on what humans have accomplished so far, I doubt that neither fantasy will become a reality anytime soon.  Using even our best technology today, it would still take months if not years to reach the planet Mars (and that is one of the planets closer to Earth).  Of course, I am not undermining all the accomplishments our space program has achieved so far; I am just acknowledging the fact that there is still a long way to go before Mars can become a summer vacation spot.  And even if interplanetary travel becomes commonplace, there is no telling whether or not it would harm or benefit humanity.  For example, in the movie Bladerunner, which we watched in class a few weeks ago, space travel is a reality. However, this opportunity caused everybody who had wealth or useful skills to leave.  Since the best and brightest of humanity left Earth long ago, a power vacuum was created and now one major company wields the majority of influence and power over the entire planet.  Even if space travel were to become accessible, it would most likely be available only to those who could afford it.  Although space travel would be a tremendous accomplishment in the annals of history, it is not clear that space travel would be something beneficial to human beings of every social and economic standing.

In the midst of this space craze though, we need to consider a few factors concerning the research and resources that are being put in for space exploration.  One major factor to consider, especially in the condition of the current economy, is the cost of the space research.  If the rewards outweigh the costs then space travel would definitely be something worth looking into.  Another factor to contemplate is the benefits of space travel.  If billions of taxpayers’ dollars are going to be spent, then there should be a more tangible goal on the agenda besides national pride.  So far, we have not discovered any resources such as oil, water, or any other energy source.  With the data we have collected thus far, it doesn’t seem like there would be any useful resources in this galaxy.  As much as I would like to see the dream interstellar travel evolve into a reality, I think that there are still many problems here on Earth that we should resolve before more money and resources are spent on a space program.

-Khoa Truong-N

raygun-megascope1

Cost for a trip to mars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3397937.stm

Abstract:

Like my midterm, my final project will use virtual reality.  However, this project will focus more on dreams and its relation to the subconscious.  The machine will consist of a bed, with nanosensors built into the mattress, sheets, and pillows.  The user will spend a night on the bed, and while they sleep, microscopic sensors built into the bed will measure the brain activity and movement of the user.  The following morning, when the user wakes up, they will be able to view the dream they had the previous night.  The replay of the dream will play on the surrounding walls of the room, completely immersing the user in their dream.  The user will also be able to view the dream from different perspectives. Then, the user will receive psychoanalysis of the dream and reasons why they had that specific dream.

Week 8 – “Space” by Derek Spitters

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

For years, space and space travel have captivated the imaginations of people all across the world. Although the United States and Russia were the main participants in the space race of the cold war, the accomplishments of these nations would change the world at large forever. The concept of space travel brought a new perspective to life on Earth. Never before had we been able to take a step back and literally look at our planet as a whole. From an external perspective, our planet becomes one of billions of others that make up our universe. We are only a small part of something much greater, and our interest in space is due to a desire to understand the rest of what is “out there.”

Space photographs have always represented a unique blend of art a technology. These often awe-inspiring images invoke in us a certain sense of mystic beauty. These photos are unlike anything that can be found on Earth, and the means by which they are taken represent the height of human technology.

1stphotofromspace
This is the first photograph ever taken from outer space. It was taken in 1946 shortly after the end of the Second World War. The photograph was taken from a missile that reached an altitude of 65 miles. (http://www.airspacemag.com/space-exploration/FEATURE-FirstPhoto.html) This photo could perhaps be considered one of the first great achievements of what would become the space race. This photo is a symbol of the desire to gain a greater understanding about our planet and its relation to the rest of the universe.

hs-1995-44-b-web

hs-2005-37-a-web

hs-2004-10-a-web

hs-2004-18-b-web
These are the types of photographs that are taken by the Hubble Space Telescope (http://hubblesite.org/). These amazing visuals help us to see how little we know about the universe as a whole. Many people argue that it is wasteful to spend billions of dollars in resources on space programs when there are so many pressing problems here on Earth. On the other hand, after seeing images such as these, I cannot but help think that there is a great deal of worth to further exploring the great unknown. However, I do concede that resources should be allocated wisely, and in the foreseeable future space travel and exploration should be funded at a minimal level. It is important that research continues to be done and advancements continue to be made, if not at the breakneck pace that unlimited funding would allow.

The future of space exploration for the United States is unclear. As far as observatories go, the Webb Space Telescope is scheduled for a launch in 2013. This telescope will be able to see in the infrared spectrum of light as well as the Hubble Space Telescope can see in the visible spectrum of light. As far as manned space flights are concerned, the Obama administration’s budget proposal calls for the retirement of the space shuttle by the end of 2010 and for man to once again return to the moon by 2020. I personally believe that a goal of reaching the moon is a little short sighted and a bit of a distraction when compared to a mission to Mars. The limited amount of resources we dedicate to our space program should be concentrated in more worthwhile endeavors.

Abstract:

My project will once again focus on the concept of time and our relationship to it. In my previous project, I used photography to emphasize the passage of time. In this project, however, I will create a machine that simulates for the user the passage of time at different rates. The user will enter a chamber that controls all possible forms of external stimulation of the brain. The user will then experience a sequence of events with the rate of passage of time either sped up or slowed down. For example, the user could experience the passage of an entire lifetime in a manner of minutes. Conversely, they could experience a car crash slowed down and stretched out over five minutes. This project would not be limited to first person experiences. The user could watch as a universe is created and destroyed around them. They could experience the affects of global warming on a rainforest over 50 years. This project will also explore higher dimensions and will show the user many possible outcomes resulting from a specific decision. The user can then explore different paths in what could possibly be the seventh or ninth dimension.

–Derek Spitters

week 8 by joseph hernandez

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

hst_galaxy1

The concept of space really intrigued me. It really blows my mind how there can just be empty space outside our planet. There are just particles floating around in space. It’s also very interesting to think about how much is outside our planet, or even outside our immediate personal area. There is life going on around the world and there is an infinite amount of space that no human has ever entered. The amount of space outside our own planet is so great and so mind blowing that it also brings into question the severity and complexity of dimensions. Even though there is a multitude of different dimensions, I think the 4th dimension is one of the easiest to grasp but also one of the most interesting. The fact that you would be able to see the beginning and end of someone’s life all at the same time would be incredible. Everyone would be omniscient so there would be no secrets. The 4th dimension would open up everyone to new possibilities in every aspect of art and science. Abstract: My project is going to revolve around the beauty of nature and the manipulation of photography expressed through high fashion design. I would take pictures of microscopic images (like the DNA used to make art work) and make them into high fashion or haute couture gowns. Gowns could be inspired by the shape and color of galaxies or be made to resemble plants commonly found in nature. Also, eco-friendly materials would inspire clothing that reflects the elegance of nature. After having a runway show, which would be lit up with images from nature like stars in the galaxy or pictures of rainforests depending on the types of gowns being shown, all the pieces will be auctioned off and proceeds would go to an eco-friendly charity. 

earthday3roseshibiscusgilesw3

pic12valentino-13