Archive for the ‘Week5_Midterm’ Category

Week_5_Midterm by Nikola Kondov

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

In the past four weeks we have discussed topics that seem completely different. Yet, they are closer to each other that one might think. For example, mathematics are clearly connected with both robotics and and medicine. And, of course, the three areas are connected with art. In order for a scientist to create a robot, he or she needs to make complex mathematical calculations. In order for a doctor to prescribe a medicine he or she needs to make careful calculations about the dosage, taking into consideration the patient’s weight, for example. An artists needs to take into consideration all the geometrical rules in order to create a painting. All imaginary lines drawn from each point in a drawing need to converge into one single point. Otherwise, the painding will look “sloppy” and unrealistic. Not to mention that nature seems to conform to the Golden ratio rule, regardless of whether we look at  a human’s face, body, a tree, an ecosystem or even human behavioral patterns. In week 3 we have looked at technology and robotics. As we all know, engineering and information technology is clearly connected to mathematics. A machine conforms to physical and mechanical laws, that are basically a real-life interpretation of mathematics. What many people don’t know is, that most technologial advances are inspired by works of art. For example, we have seen that robots first existed in works of art - from plays to novels to movies. And now, robots are becoming an important part of society. For example, the computer, which is basically a thinking machine, takes an important part in almost everybody’s everyday life. Scientists try to create more and more complex machines and robots, that can support themselves, move independently, make decisions,learn,  and even supply their own energy. In my opinion, they are still unable to see that the perfect robot stands before our eyes: the human being. We can make conscious decisions, we can learn from our experience, and have the most complicated yet successful energy-acquiring mechanism. Natural selection has made us able to perform extremely complicated movements, in order simply to survive and reproduce. We are, in fact, the perfect robots. The only differences between us, and the robots scientists strive to create is, that, as of now, scientists have chosen to use synthetic materials, which isn’t necessary the best solution, and the inability for robots to reproduce. And, if robots are considered a work of art, as well as a work of science, then the human body should be a perfect work of art. Indeed, we can see the Golden ratio everywhere in our bodies.

But we are not the only species that inhabit the planet. Earth is inhabited by an incredible number of different species. Most people are unaware of this remarkable diversity. The main purpose of my project is to raise interest in this diversity by using art, science and technology. Just the design of the structure combines the three areas: it is shaped as a Buckyball (Carbon -60 molecule).  This structure , first used by Buckminster- Fuller, has been used in a lot of works of art. Yet, it is not just aesthetically pleasing.As Ingber’s article about the “Architecture of Life” has shown, it is also efficient - a minimal amount of material provides maximum stability. It is no wonder then, that this structure exists at almost every level in nature - from molecules to whole organisms. Each of the sixty rooms will show a different aspect of life on earth - from atoms and molecules through most species on the planet and finally to the structure of the human body.  But it will not do this in a mundane way. It will use a technology not yet incorporated at a commercial level - 3D holography. Basically, all images will be projected in space, rather than on a surface. In that way, it will introduce the average visitor to a new way of expressing images -  one that comes closer to the idea of the fourth dimension. In that way, my project adheres to all topics covered in the past four weeks - Mathematics, Perspective, Robotics and Technology, and of course , the Human body.

by Nikola Kondov

Week 5: Midterm Reflection by Kimberlie Shiao

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Looking back at the previous topics, it’s not hard to see how the general subjects of art and science inter-relate and intertwine (which is strange, since I came into the class not quite seeing too many overlaps in the two fields). Science makes up the underlying basic understanding, rules and potential of these subjects, but art is where a lot of their value can be expressed. Just like how humans are made of things measured and described scientifically- cells, synapses, chemical reactions- what matters is what we do with ourselves- our philosophy, the art of our lives. Similarly, medicine, math, and programming are means and tools to improve our own lives, and speculate about ourselves and the world around us. And despite the increased number of specific studies that have developed, if one steps back to take a look at the bigger picture, there are still many points of overlap. For example, both medicine and programming need math. Also, the applications of math (architecture, painting, animation) and the functions of a program (how the user interface looks, the characters needed for the story of a video game) are often thought up by more artistically inclined people. So it seems strange that a perceived gap exists between the arts and the sciences. But going back to what I said earlier, perhaps the problem is “the big picture”, or more specifically the lack of people who see the big picture of arts and science interrelation. I suppose some people are buried in the growing depth of knowledge that gives rise to increased specializations (such as the relatively recent manifestation of the nanotechnology and microbiology fields.) Strange, isn’t it, how our accumulation of knowledge divides us while it also shows how intertwined everything it?

My project focused on the ideas of robotics and artificial intelligence. It also somewhat draws on math and art, because artistic design and mathematical programming would be required to design the game I created. At first I came up thinking about this idea wondering about Turing tests, and whether or not a human could trick a human judge into thinking the subject was a computer. While many works of art like to depict computer programs and androids as human-like, what is to say we are not becoming more like them? I believe the Information Age (as well as the scientific expansions that have accompanied the industrial revolution and contributed to the Space Age and Information Age) has changed the way we think, though I’m not quite sure of the specific hows. My project aims to demonstrate this convergence (or deviation at least) from both human intellectual development and programming complexities to somewhere that we couldn’t be otherwise. With Turing tests administered to and by programs and humans alike, hopefully my project helps remind people of questions such as the definition of a human- is it the mind, is it the body, or it is both? These are questions we’ll have to consider as scientific applications to the human body increase. Is a cyborg- an application of robotics, math, and medicine- a human?

-Kimberlie Shiao

Week 5_Review & Midterm Project by Catherine Yang

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

For the past 5 weeks, the topics all have been very interesting and collaborated with each other.  Week 1 talked about how “Two Cultures” of art and science intermix.  This topic is also seen throughout the weeks as we learned new topics.  The incorporation of art and science is very common throughout the world and even in UCLA.  As we moved into week 2, Professor Vesna talked about Mathematics, Space and Time.  Within mathematics, we saw the golden ratio, which allowed architectures to create buildings and even allowed people to create the “perfect face.”  These mathematical topics show that art can also be incorporated.  Also, artist used the vanishing point, as a way to connect a single point of art to mathematics.  I believe that artist needs the knowledge of simple math to measure the distance or approximately how big an object to draw.  Another example that related math and art was that an artist named Yoshida Tatsuya created a mathematical music.  For week 3, Professor Vesna talked about Industrialization, Robotics, and Kinetic/Robotic Art.   By creating Assembly Line Ford Cars, it shows the usage of mathematics to calculate how many cars to produce and the art of creating parts of the cars, and the science of how car parts can be put together and create a moving car.  Then, we saw the usage of Robots for many things such as creating art or gathering information for people.  These robots and Assembly Lines use the knowledge of art, science, and mathematics.  For week 4, Professor Vesna talked about the Human Body and Medical Technologies.  This topic was very interesting to me because it incorporates everything we learned from week 1.  Through the human body, we are able to have knowledge of the world around us.  Also, Robotics is included in surgery in the present for a safer operation.  The human body is also considered an art work because through surgery one can change how they look.  I believe that the value of beauty on our body, is like the value of a beautiful piece of art.  For week 5, Professor Vesna showed as a video called “Blade Runner.”  This movie shows the usage of robotics, mathematics, human body, and art.  The robotics within the video was the “Replicants” that were created.  These “Replicants” exceed the human body by having more strength and knowledge.  However, both the Replicants and humans do not have immortal longevity.  The art in the movie was how each “Replicant” were designed at different levels from women to men.

For my midterm project, I proposed a model that will allow humans to save energy and electricity.  My model shows the absorbance of sunlight through windows and uses that energy to be transmitted into a circuit/current.  Then, that is stored into a battery that can be easily used for electricity.  In addition, these windows have metal films through them that allow the circuit to be conducted.  This usage of solar energy is not like the solar panels because solar panels automatically takes the energy of sunlight and convert it into a current.  My model shows the usage of thermo energy to be transformed into electrical energy.

image artsci

Catherine Yang

Midterm by Brandon Aust

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

This class has helped show the many branches between the arts and the sciences. As discussed in the first week, our school and our culture has leaned towards separating these to entities, but in reality it takes both to make the world and the human race what it is today. On a simply biological argument, the human mind has two sides of the brain—one which focuses on artistic material and one which focuses on a more purely academic material. Without both, there is an improper balance in the development of our mind which will lead to an imbalance in our actions, thus resulting in an imbalance in our world. Luckily, there are people who still develop both sides of their mind, and study a unique variety of academia. However, it seems as though the public school system (at least the one I attended) tries to push “gifted” students towards a more math and science based background. They also stress that it is pretty much necessary to attend a four-year university. This is just wrong. There are many options out there for people in life—much of which do not require such classes or such a degree. There is still room and a necessity in this world for people with natural talents and abilities who seem to slip through the cracks of our education system.

My midterm project is set to stop this from happening. I combined the overall idea of the two cultures and the emergence of a third culture and combined in with the other topics we discussed such as robotics and math, to create an idea for a robot which would aid in the development of a third culture. The robot would use a multitude of tools such as educational games, an instrument tuner, a calculator, and displayed lectures in order to make learning fun. At the very least, the robot would inform children on everything that is out there for them while still developing both sides of their minds. Without this development many basic skills could be lost in the child’s mind such as creative thinking. For example, schools stress the sciences and math for people who want to be engineers, but it is also necessary to have a creative mind as an engineer and be able to think outside of the box in order to create new ideas and products which will change the world. Although my idea may not be feasible, something needs to be done soon about the troubling system which separates these two wonderful cultures. If nothing is done, they will remain separated, and the world will rely on the few that combine these cultures. However, if youth education changes, all of society could have tools from both cultures, thus greatly affecting how the world thinks and works.

robot_music

These last five weeks have helped to solidify my interest in my field of engineering. For I also have a creative mind. I did not wish to be stuck doing boring computations all day, but the fact that there are so many great opportunities for people with a scientific background in creative cultures gives me hope that I can find a job that is worthwhile and that will make me happy in the future.

-Brandon Aust

Week 5_Midterm Blog and more by Khoa Truong-N

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The very first week of DESMA 9, Professor Vesna introduced the concept of the “Two Cultures” and challenged the class to find examples of the two and counter-examples of the two.  From the first week, it feels that with each passing week, we are building upon concepts and ideas from the previous week.  For example, Professor Vesna first talked about mathematics the second week, and then the next week she discussed robotics and kinetics.  First we discussed the concepts that are necessary for the advancement of society (math), and then we viewed examples of how those concepts are applied (robotics, science, etc).  Obviously, the underlying theme in each topic is the incorporation of science and art.  Each week, I am learning of new counterexamples against the “Two Cultures”.  There is an art to medicine just as much as there is a science to creating works of art.  With each passing lecture, I am seeing the various ways in which art and science mesh together whether it is in the form of robotics or the human body. Architecture and technology in today’s society not only serves the purpose it was created for, but they are aesthetically pleasing as well. The idea of the “Two Cultures” no longer exists, but instead, it is like Professor Vesna discusses in her article, there is just something in between the two—a third culture.  In this day and age, it is unproductive waste time arguing whose field of study is better.  Like Buckminster Fuller stated, synergy is the key. When artists and scientists work together, then they have truly succeeded.  I look forward to seeing what new ideas and achievements will take shape as the scientists and artists of today’s age combine their talents.
Since I am planning on becoming a doctor someday, I am interested in the human body and what compels it to do what it does.  Also, technology is becoming a valuable resource in the field of medicine; without this new technology, medicine would be nowhere near where it is today.  Specifically, I am interested in using technology to raise public awareness in the area of human eating habits.  Obviously, the food that humans eat now is drastically different than the food they consumed several decades ago.  I want to help people see where they currently are, and perhaps help them if they have strayed off the right path.  By comparing the “now” to the “then” and finding patterns, maybe we can see our future.  We could see how much time each human has left on Earth, and we could find ways to change that number.  I did a project on virtual technology because I enjoyed Professor Vesna’s lectures concerning robotics and technology.  Although I did not really use any robotics, I liked the idea of utilizing technology to help raise public awareness of the ongoing changes in the world they live in.  I want the users to see how their diets affect them directly.  There is no better way to accomplish this than through exposing them to firsthand experience.  Food simulators have been built, and I hope to expand upon this innovative technology by using it to show people the paths they are currently on and whether or not they can improve upon those paths.  Many illnesses are caused through the misuse of food, so hopefully this project will be able to prevent some of those illnesses by allowing people to see what the right choices are.  This project reminds me of the cliché, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” because that is essentially what the machine would be—a means of prevention.  In this virtual world, the users will be able to see all the paths they can take, some seem difficult at first glance but the results in the long run will overshadow the first few arduous steps.  Two simple meals in the virtual world will lead to a healthier life in the real world.

-Khoa Truong

Week 5_Summary of Desma 9 and Midterm by Jonah Batista

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

These past five weeks have been very diverse, yet somewhat focused. Beginning with week one, Two Cultures, really pushed my expectations of the class and made me think a lot more in depth. At first, I did believe that art and science could not be compliments, actually I thought they would be subjects in which would contradict each other or spark controversy. However, after lecture and readings such as C.P. Snow, I have most dramatically changed my view point. I agree completely with Professor Vesna’s statement of, “Science advances when art does, and vice versa.” Of course, this led to our subject for week two. We talked about how mathematics, time and space, and the fourth dimension. This furthered our interest in the connection between art and science in everyday life; for example the golden ratio. Subsequently, we then covered robotics and medicine. All of this played a part in my midterm project. 

My midterm is designed to help our nation fight obesity. I decided to call it a life simulation because the participant will be living inside the facility for a week. The point of the stay is to help the participant realize what a week’s work will feel like as far as eating healthy and exercising daily. This will also keep the participant from getting distracted. The life simulator contains a home, gymnasium, grocery store, and a command center. The command center is basically the brains of the whole simulation. In the command center, the participant will be able to analyze progress, diets, long range projections, and also access a proper workout plan. The technology in this project plays a huge role. Using the latest technology, the command center will be able to analyze and make precise routines and diets for a specific person. One reason I picked the topic of obesity is because of my influence from art. Lately, for the past couple of years, I have noticed a change in art. Often, humans are the subject on the canvas, however the people vary and reflect our culture today. And lately, our humans on the canvases have been more on the larger side. After doing a little research I discovered that our art reflects our culture, and the reflection of western culture includes a larger person. Now, focusing back on my project. Throughout the week, the participant will slowly get accustomed to the daily routine so that by the end of the week they will have an idea of what they will need to do. The command center at the end of the week will display progress along with what the possible outcome will look like if the participant chooses to carry the routine. Along with that, the command center will use specific photos and diagrams that pertain to the specific person so they will be able to be motivated to the highest degree. The most important result of this whole weeks experience is to have the participant influenced into taking the necessary steps toward a healthier life. They may struggle throughout the week, but as long as they are motivated and inspired to keep working hard, then the positive outcome will be inevitable. 

by Jonah Batista
botticellis-venus-before-after 

Week 5 Midterm by Mindy Truong

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

For that first half the quarter, we have discussed various topics that seem to not show much of a relationship toward art. However, after thoroughly weekly analyzing of each topic, we have a better understanding of the correlation of art with these science subjects. Week one of DESMA 9 introduced briefly what topics were to be discussed this quarter. The first week allowed students to explore something that many students here usually don’t combine together, the interaction between art and science. Since week one, we were first exposed to the combination of what most would consider two different cultures. The combination of these two different cultures seems to create a third culture and since then we have been dealing with different aspects of this third culture. We then began to tie in other numerous other topics to art. The exploration of the relationship that art plays with these other subjects shows a closer relationship once it is analyzed.

As the weeks progressed, we explored such topics like math, robotics, and most recently human body and medicine. Each topic is like another puzzle piece adding to the final product of a full picture and we are connecting all the pieces as each lecture unravels. From the lectures that Professor Vesna has discussed, I learned that artists also study other topics rigorously and incorporate it into their works. They study math to get the proper angles and lines in their art work such as paintings and drawings. Week two’s lecture on math ties into week’s three lectures that deals with robotics and kinetic art among other things. Creating such art like robotics or those that deals with kinetic art takes a lot of figuring out and designing. You have to put into account that figuring out such design and getting it work involves much configuration that involves math. Our next topic was human body and medicine. In the medical field today, many types of robotics are used to further advance research or aid patients and even more robotic devices are still being produced for such reasons.

My presentation idea dealt with using robotics to improve in the area of science and medicine. This idea shows a close tie with the topics discussed in the previous two weeks. It shows how the usage of robotics can advance in science, especially in a century where medicine has made a great deal of progressed. My topic highly dealt with week three’s discussion about robotics. In week three we viewed various types of robotics and kinetic arts and in week four we discussed how art related to the medical field. My proposal tied in the robotics to the medical field by showing a correlation between the two. As robotics advances so does the medical field.

Mindy Truong

Week 5 Midterm: Weeks review and midterm, by Erick Romero

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

So far this class has dealt with the impact and importance that Art, Science, and Technology have in society, and especially when they merge and work together.  Week 1 was centralized around C.P. Snow’s “Two Cultures”, an influential lecture that suggests that the key to solving society’s problems is the communication between the sciences and the humanities, which Snow claims are the major divisions of modern society.  However, Snow does propose the emergence of a “Third Culture”, ratified by Prof. Vesna’s “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between”, where she describes this third culture as those artists working with technology, or even vice-versa, when scientists turn to art to create new products.  I always admired Leonardo Da Vinci, who undoubtedly would belong to this third culture, for he was a great artist, inventor, and scientist.

The next 3 weeks went into more specific examples of the crash between these disciplines.  Week 2 was mainly about math, and how people perceive different definitions of the “Fourth Dimension.”  What I liked about this lecture is how artists have actually read and trained themselves in scientific topics, such as Albert Einstein’s theories about relativity, time, and space, and those artists when on to formulate their own interpretation of it in their works.  Week 3 was my favorite so far, because we talked about robots and artist’s interpretation of them and the future.  This is where I believe that artistic interpretations such as movies and science fiction novels have made a great contribution to computer science and robotics.  The ideas that artists have come up with, scientists who read or seen them and get fascinated with the idea, so they go on to develop those ideas and turn them into reality.  I can name a few of my favorite interpretations, such as “Robocop”, “I, Robot”, and “Terminator” that amaze you and make you want to go and work on a real robot! (Well, maybe not in the case or Terminator, don’t want to create a robot that declares war to humankind!)  Week 4 was about the human body and medicine, and in my blog I mentioned great artistic interpretations of that topic, my favorite books in fact, Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” and Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”.

The topics from week 1-4 all relate in the sense that they are collaborative efforts of the humanities and the sciences.  They are fields in which both perspectives are needed to make the best use of it.  I think that both disciplines complement each other when well used, and create great things together.  Below are some examples of it.

dubai-lagoonapple-iphone-3g

My midterm project is a combination of the philosophy and technology behind Artificial Intelligence.  My project, called “The Turing Experience” will allow people to experiment firsthand what AI is, and the meaning of intelligence.  We constantly ask ourselves why are we so unique, why do we possess the intelligence and consciousness that make us human.  That’s why I propose to have a modified version of the “Turing Test”, proposed by Allan Turing in 1950, which consists of trying to tell a machine from a human by asking questions.  This experience will need a self examination by the user, to wonder how our minds work, what is the psychology behind our thoughts and actions, and how can we understand the concept of intelligence in beings other than humans.  It will also educate people in ways that will bring the concept of AI back to the public’s interest, and will advance this technology by experimentation and interaction with such computer systems, although not as advanced as Turing predicted they will be by now, we can still make it possible if we put our minds into it.  My project relates to the weeks lectures because it combines the science behind creating such machines intelligent enough to fool a human, and the philosophy behind the meaning of intelligence and human behavior.  The art behind the robotic head that mimics facial reactions also ties in with the idea.  I only wish such a project was possible, I would be so excited to test it!

Week5_midterm; All Together Now by Devin Quinlan

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

I believe that all subjects are related. My experience in DESMA has shown me that art and science are, in fact, related, and the individual qualities needed to excel in both are essentially the same. Throughout this course, we have analyzed how art relates to mathematics, perspective, space, time, robotics, mechanics, and the human body and medicine. While art can take form within each of these categories, each of these categories can interrelate with one another. To prove this point, just look at the typical four-year schedule for any science major, and you will find mathematics, physics, biology and chemistry. A bioengineer like myself would not have to take all of these courses if they were not going to be used in my future career. Even to create a medicine you need to consider the majority of the things we talked about so far this quarter. Mathematics and time have to be used when figuring out dosage, robotics are sometimes used, or at least electronic devices, such as in the process of iontophoresis, to administer doses, and of course the human body is taken into account the entire time.

I have found that even though the sciences are on the cutting edge of technology, art is an integral part in the acceptance of the new technology into society. A great example of this is the computer, but most specifically Microsoft Surface. Back in the 1980s, computers were ugly gray boxes that could be used to write green text on a black screen. People didn’t really use computers unless they were required for work, and the technology wasn’t very popular. Microsoft Surface is a computer that is almost like a piece of artwork itself. The development of this machine took into account everything we have spoken about this quarter, from the math and mechanical engineering required to get the components to work to the understanding of how the body works to detect the touch of a finger on the touchscreen. The art even comes into play as the whole computer itself resembles a coffee table, and the visual interface gets rid of that black and green screen and puts a colorful, vibrant display in its place that people can use and relate to.

The idea for my midterm presentation, much like Microsoft Surface, is also related to these elements of science and art that we have discussed this quarter. Essentially, my project contains a visual interface of several screens with a self-assembling robot nearby. The project centers around modeling macroevolution all the way from a single-celled organism into something that resembles a modern species. The robots would form into a life size model of the current species. These self-assembling robots are actually already in development, so their implementation isn’t too far off from reality. This project takes into account mathematics in a huge way, as all of the modeling for evolution is done through mathematical equations relating to growth and death rates of populations, species size, and overall effect of the user’s choices on the species he is creating. Robotics are also obviously taken in with the project, as not only the computer consists of electrical parts and technology, but there are actually robots that can assemble together to show what your species looks like. The last topic we discussed, the human body and medicine, is furthermore taken into account when modeling evolution, because the things we know about biology would be the basis for the models themselves.

When you look at technological advances, whether they be in the form of Microsoft Surface, my evolution robot, or even the newest iPhone, Art, Science, and everything in between is in effect. While many great things have been created that are only within one discipline, the things that truly stand out and make an impact on society are those that combine both art and science.

Devin Quinlan

microsoft surface: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4217348.html

iontophoresis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iontophoresis

Week 5_Midterm Review_Wenjing Wu

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Though as an exchange student in Biotechnology major, my career goal is to become a product designer. And the question of how to apply scientific way of thinking to an artistic process has been obsessing me for a long time. That’s the main reason why I choose Art, Science and Technology in my only quarter at UCLA. And on the very first class in 2160E, I knew my choice is right. The relationships between science and art had never occurred to me as that dynamic and inspiring before I took this course. Prof. Vesna and our teaching and researching assisstances have been doing an outstanding job in collecting and providing insightful information to us. In the first 4 weeks, our topics varied from mathematics and robotics, to human body and medicine. Since “The Third Culture” in Week 1, we began to explore that how deep have science and art woven into each other. I really like the way we learn in this course: first we retrospect the path of history and then we are exposed to a variety of fascinating artworks. After that we are provoked to contemplate on a certain aspect and collect relevant information. Finally we share with and learn from each other. The reading task is sometimes so challenging and rewarding to me that I think years later I may appreciate the crazy weekends I’ve spent on racking my brains for the blogs.

Tsien's Lab-Beach
Tsien’s Lab-Beach

The name of my project is “Shmily: A Gift for Valentine’s Day”. This project came to my mind after I saw several amazing pictures of fluorescent bacteria from Roger Tsien’s Lab website. Tsien is one of the Laureates of Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2008 “for the discovery and development of the green fluorescent protein, GFP”. It is also partly inspired by Ken Goldberg’s Telegarden, which was introduced by Prof. Vesna in Week 3, and Eduardo Kac’s Bio Art. Shmily is a living installation that allows web users to order a customized fluorescent bacteria painting for their beloved ones to view online and receive a romantic greeting at the same time. The brief process is as follows: First, the customer chose a specific soil or water sample, for instance, a drop from the Seine, and a certain pattern, such as I love you, through online registration. And the sample will be collected by a lab in a few days. Later, the lab will analyze the microorganism community structure within the sample to determine which kinds of bacteria it contains and insert compatible fluorescent protein genes into the bacteria respectively. Thus different species of bacteria exhibit different fluorescent colors. After the engineering procedure, the genetically-modified bacteria from the origin sample will be cloned on proper media with designated arrangements. Finally the reciever of this special gift will be able to see this “painting” through web camera in real time, from the very beginning of growing to the end of the decomposition of fluorescent proteins. This project combines the Internet and bio-engineering technology with visual arts, providing a brand-new way of giving Valentine’s Day gifts. (Er… sorry for starting to sound like a piece of advertisement.)